Do I need THB 20 000.- when travelling on a transit visa?

Why does this seem to be such a big problem for some on here. Surely one is at least going to spend that amount of money while in Thailand...just stuff it in your pocket and be on your way.

Really, talk about making mountains out of molehills?

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

@Jackdd, sadly, I can't read enough Thai to understand the document you posted. Does it specifically mention visa exempt? Because many people seem to believe you now need 20,000 baht to enter on visa exempt.

My impression is that the shorter periods of stay — visa exempt, VOA and transit visa — are still 10,000 baht as they always were. Just the tourist and other longer-stay visas require 20,000.

Why does this seem to be such a big problem for some on here. Surely one is at least going to spend that amount of money while in Thailand...just stuff it in your pocket and be on your way.
  Really, talk about making mountains out of molehills?
What's funny is that I rarely spend that much cash in a month.

I pay with mobile phone or cc for most everything. Cash is like so Thailand 3.0 [emoji14]
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

m.JPG.763d35677fdce81b2cb0375125fcdde0.JPG

It's written like this. Afaik this document is the most recent version regarding immigration act section 12.9.

Jackdd, Very nice. Thank you very much!

And is the tourist visa requiring 20 000 THB as billp believes above? Maybe I will travel on a tourist visa soon and then it is nice to have the correct amount of money in the pocket. Normally I travel on transit visa. It would be nice to sort this out once and for all. Or at least until they change the rules ????

13 hours ago, Captor said:

Jackdd, Very nice. Thank you very much!

And is the tourist visa requiring 20 000 THB as billp believes above? Maybe I will travel on a tourist visa soon and then it is nice to have the correct amount of money in the pocket. Normally I travel on transit visa. It would be nice to sort this out once and for all. Or at least until they change the rules ????

Yes. 20K is the amount if entering with a tourist or other class of visa.

I have never been asked to shove any amount when arrive Thailand.It seems to depend on ur nasjonality.Many indians have been rejected.So far i never heard that scandinavians been asked for cash.

Im Norwegian and have about 65 arrivals to Thailand.Anyway i allways have NOK in my wallet just in case.

1 hour ago, stigar said:

I have never been asked to shove any amount when arrive Thailand.It seems to depend on ur nasjonality.Many indians have been rejected.So far i never heard that scandinavians been asked for cash.

Im Norwegian and have about 65 arrivals to Thailand.Anyway i allways have NOK in my wallet just in case.

Stigar, Yes I think you are right. I´am from Sweden and have never been asked for showing the money as well. I have always had the money however and I think better continuing with that ???? But I always had 20 000 so then I can go down to 10 000 when on transfer visa. Thank you very much all.

I posted the link confirming 10,000 baht on another forum, and one of the moderators there insisted that there have been numerous reports of IOs asking to show 20,000 baht for visa exempt entries.

So, anyone here ever been asked for 20,000 on a visa exempt?

1 hour ago, billp said:

I posted the link confirming 10,000 baht on another forum, and one of the moderators there insisted that there have been numerous reports of IOs asking to show 20,000 baht for visa exempt entries.

It is a minimum of 10K.

I have not seen numerous reports of IO’s asking for 20K. Although I have no doubt it will have happened.

Unless you’re a serial tourist they are highly unlikely to ask to see anything.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, billp said:

That sounds like it is best to bring 20,000 anyway even if traveling on transfer visa (exemption). I was hoping to avoid that. Hence the reason for the topic. OK, so then I guess

I have to travel with 20.000 again. Even if it is very seldom they ask for seeing the money.