Getting a UK bank account without address?

Batty

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on this?  I have lived in Thailand for 16 years and after a trip back to the UK recently for a holiday I am thinking of putting down a few roots there again.  Maybe even thinking of moving back for a year or two next year, possibly.  I want to start with a bank account, but have no idea how to obtain one without a UK address.

I use my sisters address for my UK driving license, but have asked a few favours from her latley and dont want to ask her to use her address for a bank account.  There isnt realy anyone else that I could ask, lost touch with a few people back there over the years, I do have a few mates back there of course but I wouldnt feel comfortable asking any of them for this as we are not realy close.

Any ideas?  I was thinking of maybe renting a very cheap bedsit somewhere and having my DL address changed to bedsit address, using that as an actual UK address and starting from there.  I would continue to live in Thailand but just use that as a UK address while I establish the basics, like a bank account.  It looks like most banks need more than just a DL and passport as proof however and being a bedsit, I would have no utilities in my name so I am not sure how much of a good idea that really is. 

Can anyone think of a work around at all?  I am not looking for a bank that provides any form of credit or even a check book (if they still exist), just a bare bones UK account with an ATM/debit card.  

I am also hoping to open up a transferwise borderless account and link to the UK account.  But I do need a real account with one of the real banks back there.

Appreciate it

Batty

2 hours ago, Batty said:

I use my sisters address for my UK driving license, but have asked a few favours from her latley and dont want to ask her to use her address for a bank account.  There isnt realy anyone else that I could ask,

Problem solved by interflora ???? or maybe apply to online banking FD Uk for an account that's who I use with the only home address I have a Thai one. 

11 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

This section from Lloyds implies your Passport is sufficient to open an account.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/legal/proof-of-identity.asp

Yes, that proves identity, but you also need to provide proof of your address:

Proof of address

• Current EU/EEA photo driving licence.
  • Benefits entitlement letter.
  • HMRC Tax Notification.
  • Local authority tax bill for the current year.
  • Utility bill (such as gas or landline phone bill) dated within the last six months.
  • Bank, building society or UK credit union statement.
  • UK, EU/EEA mortgage statement.
  • Current UK provisional driver’s licence.
  • UK credit card statement.
  • Tenancy agreement issued by a solicitor, housing association, local council or reputable letting agency.

You also need to live in the UK

To apply for this account, you need to be:
- aged 18 or older
- someone who lives in the UK
- an EU national or have the right to stay in the UK for at least 12 months

If you have an account with an international bank, they may open a UK account for you as an extension of your existing account - I got a UK account with HSBC, but had to open it in person in Hong Kong by going to the international department at their head office.  Or you could get one of the utility bills at your sister's place put in your name and use that.

A couple years ago I got my identity stolen in the UK apart from 2 Credit Cards being applied one being successful, £1500 limit from well known CC companies. The person/persons also opened a Bank Account with TSB, they were given a £500 pverdraft, a Visa Debit Cards and all the info too manage the account online account as well.

I was in Thailand at the time fortunately all my UK Mail gets diverted too my daughters when I am away so I managed to stop everything albeit it was over a W.E/Bank Holiday. When I tried too contact all the relevant parties security, they didn’t operate over the W.E. or Bank Holidays, it was over the Christmas/New Year period when it happened. 

When I enquired at TSB how any one could open an account online, reply, the government relaxed the rules to make it easier for people too open Bank Accounts. I think it’s because all benefits are now paid direct into a bank account. The TSB rep. did say who ever opened the Bank Account knew a lot of my personal details, I am always very careful and shred any documents with my personal details so no idea how they who ever got my details.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, that proves identity, but you also need to provide proof of your address:

Proof of address

• Current EU/EEA photo driving licence.
  • Benefits entitlement letter.
  • HMRC Tax Notification.
  • Local authority tax bill for the current year.
  • Utility bill (such as gas or landline phone bill) dated within the last six months.
  • Bank, building society or UK credit union statement.
  • UK, EU/EEA mortgage statement.
  • Current UK provisional driver’s licence.
  • UK credit card statement.
  • Tenancy agreement issued by a solicitor, housing association, local council or reputable letting agency.

You also need to live in the UK

To apply for this account, you need to be:
- aged 18 or older
- someone who lives in the UK
- an EU national or have the right to stay in the UK for at least 12 months

It states that if you cannot provide Driving licence of UK passport then 2 documents from the list is required

There is an additional caveat that the bank may request additional documents

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The TSB rep. did say who ever opened the Bank Account knew a lot of my personal details, I am always very careful and shred any documents with my personal details so no idea how they who ever got my details.

Does your daughter(s) have a shredder as well?

In  order to open a bank account in the UK you need to be living permanently or at least for a specified period of  time as a student for example. If your passport has a permanent visa form Thailand then you would have to go in person. AS you have a driving licence and passport then it would be simple . you could not open up  an internet accounts as yo would have to claim you were a permanent resident. and They require 3 years proof of address. For banks like Monese if you have a british  or EU sim card on your phone you can open up an account with no proof of address.  similarly starling mobile bank , N26 bank but all  banks need a mailing address to send the ATM card

. alternatively as transfer wise states

Your home bank may be able to set up an account for you if it has a correspondent banking relationship with a British bank. Many major UK banks also have so-called 'international' accounts. ... However, opening a bank account from abroad or an international account may not be the right choice for you.Yes, you can. Your home bank may be able to set up an account for you if it has a correspondent banking relationship with a British bank. Many major UK banks also have so-called 'international' accounts. ... However, opening a bank account from abroad or an international account may not be the right choice for you.

Sadly, this won't help you but is, I hope, useful information.

When you open a bank account or apply for a credit card in UK these days, the supplier looks at the Electoral Register first to see how long you've lived at your address, then at your credit history (if you have any) and then to see if you have any outstanding County Court Judgements against you.

The first 2 are desirable, the third isn't!

If neither of the first 2 can be found, they will either refuse you outright or might start asking for the other information in the "Proof of Address" list above.

One piece if information that may be of use to you..... Unfortunately, when you apply to open an account your credit score is marked...if you are refused, that's a negative, so the more refusals, the harder it gets!

I know it doesn't sound fair but forewarned is forearmed as they say. 

One organisation you might try is UN Bank of U (link) They're not a conventional bank by any means and I know little of them so PLEASE exercise due diligence! However, some research might yield something useful - Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spent some time back in the UK and tried to open a bank account at a couple of banks. The first one I targeted was closed because the ceiling had collapsed (!), so I went into HSBC as I used to bank with them. All very helpful and spent an hour going through the process; only to be rejected because I didn't have an original document with me to prove the source of my private pension...

So then I tried Starling, an internet based bank. Downloaded the app, photographed my passport and uploaded it, then recorded a video confirming my identity. Two hours later my account was approved and the following day my debit card arrived at my son's address. Transferred some cash from Singapore and used the card for the remainder of my trip. Planning to return to the UK to live full time next year and Starling will meet all my needs.

I note that in their Legal Jargon, applicants have to confirm the Starling that they are resident in the UK, which the OP isn’t, and I believe neither are you as you’re using somebody else’s address.

OK you’ve managed to open an account, but the OP needs to check that it’s legit if he wants to go down that route.

Archived