Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Everyone’s raving about Netflix’s Unbelievable, and with good reason

Recommended Posts

Everyone’s raving about Netflix’s Unbelievable, and with good reason

By Afroze Fatima Zaidi

 

Netflix-Unbelievable.jpg

 

Warning: this article discusses sexual assault and contains content some readers may find triggering.

 

A few days ago, I read an article in The Canary about a drop in prosecutions for rape in the UK.

 

It talked about the reasons for this drop, and how it meant an ‘effective decriminalisation’ of rape.

 

It didn’t make for an easy read, particularly for me, a survivor of sexual assault.

 

Coming across Netflix’s new show Unbelievable, which looks at how local authorities in the US investigate rape cases, so soon after reading the article, therefore, felt a little serendipitous.

 

Full Story: https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/09/15/everyones-raving-about-netflixs-unbelievable-and-with-good-reason/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it was a great series, shameful what happened with the girl. I liked watching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather a misleading headline....EVERYONE..... I cannot get Netflix and would not bother watching this sort of thing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, guess I'll watch it now. Wasn't anywhere on my Netflix-generated lists for some reason. I hope it's not just another metoo-propaganda piece. "Rave reviews" these days mean it's subject to some paid or otherwise organized social media campaign. 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So watched the first episode. A bit boring and long winded for a crime series, not sure if I'll bother with the rest. Yes, the "Rave reviews" are probably the metoo crowd. Based on just the first episode, 6/10.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

So watched the first episode. A bit boring and long winded for a crime series, not sure if I'll bother with the rest. Yes, the "Rave reviews" are probably the metoo crowd. Based on just the first episode, 6/10.

Hang in there mate. It is slow but does progress along. I watched it all and found it worthwhile. They kept the "believe all women" line down to a minimum, so, good for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone's raving ?

 

Hyperbole much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many women do lie, and some are incredibly good at it. Many years ago my American wife asked me to leave, and immediately told the authorities and all our friends that I had deserted her, and I got s**t on from a great height by one and all. Even had to leave the country, but if I could sum it all up into two words now, those two words would be THANK YOU 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Hang in there mate. It is slow but does progress along. I watched it all and found it worthwhile. They kept the "believe all women" line down to a minimum, so, good for them.

Ok, you are right. They seem to have cleared out the obligatory fashionable bruhahaa in the first two episodes and after Rasmunssen entered the scene, it's getting good. I'll upgrade to 8/10 on episode 4 and I guess I'm in for a binge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final verdict: 8/10. It would've been a 9, but there were obvious occurrences where the director Grant was trying to pull in the fashionable Alyssa Milano gang for ratings. Worth watching for sure but yes two first episodes are a slog. Be prepared.

 

That is until Detective Rasmunssen, played by Toni Collette, enters the story. Wow. Stellar performance, 10/10. I've never seen her before but if she doesn't get an award or a dozen for this, the universe is screwed. She's firmly on my "I want to watch her act" radar now.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Final verdict: 8/10. It would've been a 9, but there were obvious occurrences where the director Grant was trying to pull in the fashionable Alyssa Milano gang for ratings. Worth watching for sure but yes two first episodes are a slog. Be prepared.

 

That is until Detective Rasmunssen, played by Toni Collette, enters the story. Wow. Stellar performance, 10/10. I've never seen her before but if she doesn't get an award or a dozen for this, the universe is screwed. She's firmly on my "I want to watch her act" radar now.

Total agreement concerning Toni Collette. She is a highly acclaimed, award-winning actress, so maybe she doesn't appear in the types of programmes you usually watch; some of her films are not my style for sure. 

Did you rate Kaitlyn Dever? I thought she did a fine job, and I remember her excellent  turn when a teenager in Justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elwood said:

Total agreement concerning Toni Collette. She is a highly acclaimed, award-winning actress, so maybe she doesn't appear in the types of programmes you usually watch; some of her films are not my style for sure. 

Did you rate Kaitlyn Dever? I thought she did a fine job, and I remember her excellent  turn when a teenager in Justified.

Even this series wasn't in my netflix lists at all, for some reason. I do watch crime series, so maybe this was categorized as social drama or something. I noticed Collette has been in a few movies I've seen, but must've been a small supporting role. Gotta go through her filmography and watch the ones that I like.

 

Dever's performance, solid 8, very professional, but I found her or her role a bit one dimensional, lacked the depth that truly great actresses are able to project. She's young so she's got plenty of time to get it right. Those deer in the headlight eyes did fit the story, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...