BANGKOK

I have been legally married to a Thai woman for 9 years, we have a 10-year-old boy, last week hp. Renewed the annual marriage-based visa, we were told immigration wants to pay a visit home, my wife is in Korat for away from my son's school, what happens if they come and don't find it at home?

Your wife needs to be at home and seen to be living with you otherwise there’s a high chance your extension will be denied.

• Like 2

They usually ring beforehand.

Arrange a visit when your wife returns.

• Haha 1

The immigration police came to my domestic partners home to check up on me  here in Sisaket unannounced . Just showed up at our home with a list of expat names maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing since

15 minutes ago, john thom said:

The immigration police came to my domestic partners home to check up on me  here in Sisaket unannounced . Just showed up at our home with a list of expat names maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing since

That's a different type of check to make sure you're living where you say you're living. The immigration check in this case is to make sure that they are actually living together as husband and wife.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myran said:

That's a different type of check to make sure you're living where you say you're living. The immigration check in this case is to make sure that they are actually living together as husband and wife.

Ahhh. I see-

• Like 1

Do they do these home visits in Bangkok, or is it more of a provincial thing? 

I had a home visit last year and took a selfie with the IOs

• Haha 1

We Had a Home Visit Some 10 Years Ago,Everything Normal & The 4/5 IO's All left Happy........Nothing Since !!

I hear one TH women married to 10 foreign persons so now they know the scam. So keep pictures of togather with child, home outside photo with address even if she is not there. Home address should be visible while 3 of you standing besides. Your wife can show job letter or school certificate orignal to show reason of being away.

Still it would be trouble free if she is there.

13 hours ago, Antoniobthai1 said:

I have been legally married to a Thai woman for 9 years, we have a 10-year-old boy, last week hp. Renewed the annual marriage-based visa, we were told immigration wants to pay a visit home, my wife is in Korat for away from my son's school, what happens if they come and don't find it at home?

Why does everybody have such a hard time to talk with their Immigration Officer? Don´t you think it would have been better to explain the situation and ask the questions to the persons concerned, instead of getting the answers from not concerned persons of no authority?

1 hour ago, USNret said:

Do they do these home visits in Bangkok, or is it more of a provincial thing? 

Of course they do in Bangkok too, why would you think it´s a provincial thing? It´s not about where. It´s to establish the facts of a written application.

• Like 1

The first visit we got was unannounced and I was home in the uk for a funeral at short notice. My wife LINE video called me and I explained, no worries and she had copies of all my paperwork and many photos to show them.

They came again the following year unnanounced but again very amicable. This time I was there and they showed me their record and they had my phone number with 2 digits round the wrong way. I expect a call in advance next time.

All very amicable, drank coffee took photos and left happy. His parting words were 'very good, I am happy to tell you that you are 100% legal to stay in Thailand'

First year I had one of the local cops come around to check up on me.  He just wanted to see my passport.  Por walks in and they knew one another from way back so it's yak yak yak for an hour with the food and drink Quickly filling the table.  I don't think he ever looked at the passport!  I am always friendly to cops in Thailand.......lmmigration 2!

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1