Immigration visit home

15 minutes ago, john thom said:

The immigration police came to my domestic partners home to check up on me  here in Sisaket unannounced . Just showed up at our home with a list of expat names maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing since

That's a different type of check to make sure you're living where you say you're living. The immigration check in this case is to make sure that they are actually living together as husband and wife.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myran said:

That's a different type of check to make sure you're living where you say you're living. The immigration check in this case is to make sure that they are actually living together as husband and wife.

Ahhh. I see-

• Like 1

I hear one TH women married to 10 foreign persons so now they know the scam. So keep pictures of togather with child, home outside photo with address even if she is not there. Home address should be visible while 3 of you standing besides. Your wife can show job letter or school certificate orignal to show reason of being away.

Still it would be trouble free if she is there.

13 hours ago, Antoniobthai1 said:

I have been legally married to a Thai woman for 9 years, we have a 10-year-old boy, last week hp. Renewed the annual marriage-based visa, we were told immigration wants to pay a visit home, my wife is in Korat for away from my son's school, what happens if they come and don't find it at home?

Why does everybody have such a hard time to talk with their Immigration Officer? Don´t you think it would have been better to explain the situation and ask the questions to the persons concerned, instead of getting the answers from not concerned persons of no authority?

1 hour ago, USNret said:

Do they do these home visits in Bangkok, or is it more of a provincial thing? 

Of course they do in Bangkok too, why would you think it´s a provincial thing? It´s not about where. It´s to establish the facts of a written application.

• Like 1

The first visit we got was unannounced and I was home in the uk for a funeral at short notice. My wife LINE video called me and I explained, no worries and she had copies of all my paperwork and many photos to show them.

They came again the following year unnanounced but again very amicable. This time I was there and they showed me their record and they had my phone number with 2 digits round the wrong way. I expect a call in advance next time.

All very amicable, drank coffee took photos and left happy. His parting words were 'very good, I am happy to tell you that you are 100% legal to stay in Thailand'

First year I had one of the local cops come around to check up on me.  He just wanted to see my passport.  Por walks in and they knew one another from way back so it's yak yak yak for an hour with the food and drink Quickly filling the table.  I don't think he ever looked at the passport!  I am always friendly to cops in Thailand.......lmmigration 2!

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

Your wife needs to be at home and seen to be living with you otherwise there’s a high chance your extension will be denied.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Find "it" ?? do you mean your wife ? she should be present or they may think the whole thing is a sham. (not real marriage)

What if your wife works? Is she expected to take the day off? Is Immigration going to make an appointment or just show up? 

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffrey346 said:

What if your wife works? Is she expected to take the day off? Is Immigration going to make an appointment or just show up? 

They could do either, but a reasonable and verifiable explanation would be accepted I am sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I've done 14 marriage visa extensions in Bangkok, and have never had a visit from immigration

I've done 19, the last 12 in Pattaya, and this year was the first time they did a home visit. We had our witness lined up for a Thursday appointment. They called and said they were busy and would come on Monday morning. They showed up and no witness. She had a death in the family over the weekend. The three Immigration Police said, no witness, no extension. My wife held them off for a few minutes, found a neighbor who happened to have a copy of her ID and house book. They didn't go in the house because we have dogs. All turned out OK but it was a bit frantic for a bit.

3 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

In my case we had 45 minutes notice!

We were told we needed two witnesses present to confirm the marriage was de jure and defacto.

They gave me 10 minutes notice and I replied not acceptable as both the wife and the 2 witnesses worked.

Is was re-arranged for a Saturday morning visit.

The IO's were pleasant, took a couple of photo's and left after 10 minutes.

This was only for the very first application based on marriage.

No further visits on subsequent applications. 

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Last year 4 i/o 1 drunk and checked all docs again. this year only 2, only spoke with wifey and witness, but not me and didn't even look at my pp. last year i got a bit grumpy with 'em. :giggle:.but they did tell me to put a shirt on in my own house.  when they show ME respect i might cosider giving them some. :coffee1:

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

The purpose of the visit is to document that you live together and that it’s not a fake marriage. They usually make an appointment and will visit weekends too.

You would need to provide a satisfactory reason why she can’t be present, but I don’t know what that could be other than hospitalisation.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Yes and your witness too, as in Trat. they give about 2 hr notice and you can arrange for another day or time. as we all know they make their own rules and there is no national standard, as in ALL govt offices throughout the kingdom. So up to them. ????

Edited by brianthainess