Dress code at HCMC Consulate ?

46 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because for these offices in europe the appropriate dresscode is whatever floats your boat, if you work in construction and go there after work you don't go home first to get dressed, which would even be impossible as they close early.

They serve you, paid by your tax money, and they couldn't care less how you dress, they dress like they want too.

In the case of Immigration etc. ... they DON'T work for you.  Like it or not, you are constantly being judged and how you are treated is often based on how they judge you.  Asia is still more formal (business) than America is these days (Europe probably in between somewhere), so when you are doing business (immigration is business - not pleasure) it is better to present yourself accordingly.  If you dress like a bum (beach or otherwise), don't be surprised if they treat you that way... and if there is an issue -- they will likely be less forgiving in letting things slide.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why does it seem like so many people forget what is the appropriate way to dress when walking in to an office of authority? Do people really feel the need to ask elementary questions like this? Silly! Why would you consider it would be different in HCMC than in other places.

Just use your common sense instead.

"Do people really feel the need to ask elementary questions like this? "  It would appear so !

Black tails, black bow tie, as it is before 6pm, unless it is evening function, then white bow tie, bowler, and walking cane. Spats probably no longer needed, but certainly cufflinks with family crest, black dress studs. Black thongs (flip flops)

My Mrs insists i wear trousers and a shirt any time i go to an embassy or immigration. Last time at Savannahkhet i forgot to pack trousers and she had the Tuk tuk detour to the market and pick up a pair of their finest Farah's. Bearing in mind ive seen full on hippies, resplendent in tie dye sarongs and dreads catered to, with no issues, at that consulate.

Truth be told i agree with her. Considering we are there asking for entry to their country, wearing a shirt and trousers for a day is hardly a hardship. Personally i wouldn't take the risk. Visa runs are expensive so i don't want to give them any reason whatsoever to have me leave with an empty page in my passport.    

Don't complain about being treated like <deleted> if you dress like it.

A certain amount of decency can be expected of people. You don't sit down in a restaurant without a shirt on and you don't go to embassies or consulates with shorts and a singlet.

Was at Thai Consulate in HCMC 1 month ago. The guard outside lets 3-4 people in at a time. Once through the outside gate, there is a very small waiting area with a few chairs. The inside room is also small, enough for a table with forms to fill out and a couple of people to queue in front of the window to give your paperwork. I do not think they can even see your pants or shoes or care. Wore T-shirt, shorts, low cut socks and fake crocs, same as when I re-entered Chiang Mai Airport on my new multi-entry non immigrant O visa (marriage), no questions asked. For documents and procedure, I posted a trip report: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1119531-report-multi-entry-non-immigrant-o-visa-thai-spouse-from-hcmc/?tab=comments#comment-14498856

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

For me, everytime i go visit one of those asian consulate i wear my tailored Armani suit, Testoni shoes and Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses and never have been refused a visa...

Dressed like that, they probably assume you are mafia, and do not dare refuse.

24 minutes ago, poka513 said:

Was at Thai Consulate in HCMC 1 month ago. The guard outside lets 3-4 people in at a time. Once through the outside gate, there is a very small waiting area with a few chairs. The inside room is also small, enough for a table with forms to fill out and a couple of people to queue in front of the window to give your paperwork. I do not think they can even see your pants or shoes or care. Wore T-shirt, shorts, low cut socks and fake crocs, same as when I re-entered Chiang Mai Airport on my new multi-entry non immigrant O visa (marriage), no questions asked. For documents and procedure, I posted a trip report: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1119531-report-multi-entry-non-immigrant-o-visa-thai-spouse-from-hcmc/?tab=comments#comment-14498856

Your report of experience at HCMC Consulate was terrific, as is your post here!  Posters like you are what make online forums an invaluable tool. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because for these offices in europe the appropriate dresscode is whatever floats your boat, if you work in construction and go there after work you don't go home first to get dressed, which would even be impossible as they close early.

They serve you, paid by your tax money, and they couldn't care less how you dress, they dress like they want too.

Yes, but this is Asia if you have been missing that. There you have to deal with things their way. if you like how it is in Europe, then I suggest you consider applying for your visa there.

Edited by Matzzon

1 hour ago, poka513 said:

Oh come on don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Me, I always wear my Sunday best when visiting these places of 'authority' also get a haircut the day before complete with ear, nasal hair and eyebrow trim. I have yet to have a visa rejected.

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It may depend on which country's consulate in HCMC you're going to?

It may well depend on the colour of your bank notes..

American Express, and stainded Singha T shirt ,  that will do nicely , Sir.

Edited by elliss

55 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Your report of experience at HCMC Consulate was terrific, as is your post here!  Posters like you are what make online forums an invaluable tool. Thanks.

I was about to post something similar. I was there last month. It is very low key and nothing formal the desk staff are locals and just shuffle paperwork. Thr aircon inside the small office was welcome. Allthough each time i went it was for no longer than 2 mins. There is a couple of very low key bars over the rd. Worth popping if you are early. Make sure you take your USD application fee with you as Baht and Dong are no good. 

As for attire. You are in the rainy season so full tux would be over kill. Be prepared to stand and que outside for a Bit. 

Compared to other consulates i have been to. The efficiency was great. 

Good luck

15 hours ago, phungo said:
16 hours ago, ezzra said:
For me, everytime i go visit one of those asian consulate i wear my tailored Armani suit, Testoni shoes and Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses and never have been refused a visa...

what kind of perfume and underwear do u wear?

Bbbut the color, I need to know the color.

Wear what you want. 

Make sure you got U. S Dollar. 

Nobody cares about how you look like. 

I went there last year and saw some horrible dirty backpackers with a young kid. 

Next day I went to get my non o and they also got a tourist or whatever visa. 

So don't worry

23 hours ago, samsensam said:

agree, it's not hard to look presentable. i am reminded of the time before evisa's for australia, i used to go to the aussie consulate to get my visa, and the state of dress designed to show their full compliment of tattoos, of some of the thai women there with their teraks, was embarrassing.

Have a big Aussie type mouser, and wear a nice wife beater with a Chang printed on it. It is nice to look nice for the IOs.????

13 hours ago, warrima said:

My Mrs insists i wear trousers and a shirt any time i go to an embassy or immigration. Last time at Savannahkhet i forgot to pack trousers and she had the Tuk tuk detour to the market and pick up a pair of their finest Farah's. Bearing in mind ive seen full on hippies, resplendent in tie dye sarongs and dreads catered to, with no issues, at that consulate.

Truth be told i agree with her. Considering we are there asking for entry to their country, wearing a shirt and trousers for a day is hardly a hardship. Personally i wouldn't take the risk. Visa runs are expensive so i don't want to give them any reason whatsoever to have me leave with an empty page in my passport.    

You don't even get into an office at Savannakhet though.

You could be pretty much nude from the waste down as they only see you through the window.

Each to their own I guess.

I would never wear a wife beater out in public but that's just me.

But I also wouldn't be wearing a long pants either to Savannakhet either.

As another posted said, it's not rocket science.

18 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

When people become irrelevant they do and say whatever they can to make themselves feel important.

The feeble attempts at sarcasm, poor humour and worse are nothing more than grumblings of sad, has beens or never weres. If it wasn’t so sad it’d be hilarious ????????‍♂️

Many of these kind of people are under the false delusion that they are masters of biting, satirical wit.  They seem to think they are in the same league of someone like Winston Churchill for instance.  Clearly, they are not!  There are few things more ludicrous than such self-grandeur.

I am a big fan of true satirical wit.  Churchill was one of the best ever!  My favorite one of his remarks, often cited, goes like this:

When he was at a party, apparently quite drunk, he had an encounter with a high-class socialite from another political party. The woman turned her nose up at Churchill and said with disdain, “You, sir, are drunk.” Churchill, not missing a beat, responded in a dry tone of voice, “You, madam, are ugly, and in the morning I shall be sober.”

Another of my favorites (controversial if he really said this or not, but it fits his style) was when he was confronted by mean-spirited Royal (Lady Astor), she remarked, "If you were my husband, I would poison your tea".  He promptly replied, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it"

Few were, are, or ever will be in his league for satirical wit, certainly none of the ham-heads who make their embarrassing attempts at it here on ThaiVisa.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, but this is Asia if you have been missing that. There you have to deal with things their way. if you like how it is in Europe, then I suggest you consider applying for your visa there.

No why would i, i never had problems with immigration, probably because i fullfill all criteria and know how to do paperwork, also i know how to dress.

I don't need a Visa for europe, so not sure why i should apply for a visa there.

The op doesn't look like a beach bum, he simply forgot his long pants.

They couldn't care less if he wears dress shorts or long pants in HCMC.

If you are a 30 yo guy dressing in business attire for a tourist visa, is way more suspicous as just wearing your everyday clothes. They aren't stupid... they saw it all before. Dress how you feel comfortable and you have it easy, they notice fake people from a mile away.

Maybe stop talking out of your ass...

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No why would i, i never had problems with immigration, probably because i fullfill all criteria and know how to do paperwork, also i know how to dress.

I don't need a Visa for europe, so not sure why i should apply for a visa there.

If you are a 30 yo guy dressing in business attire for a tourist visa, is way more suspicous as just wearing your everyday clothes. They aren't stupid... they saw it all before. Dress how you feel comfortable and you have it easy, they notice fake people from a mile away.

Right on the money!  How you are dressed doesn't affect your chances of getting a visa as long as you are neat and presentable.  How you interact with the Immigration officer is far more important.  If you are honest and show them the basic respect they are entitled to as human beings, that's all that is important.  People are the same that way, the world over!

I asked this question about dress code simply to be in accordance with local cultural customs, because THAT is a sign of respect for the particular location's culture, and has nothing to do with impressing an Immigration officer.  As @ThomasThBKK said, they can spot a poser from a mile away.  Some of the best con-artists in the world are snappy dressers LOL!

Funny how such a simple, innocent question has now turned into a four page thread, mostly composed of dim-witted and/or inflammatory comments.  Kind of sad really ????

Edited by WaveHunter

16 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Right on the money!  How you are dressed doesn't affect your chances of getting a visa as long as you are neat and presentable.  How you interact with the Immigration officer is far more important.  If you are honest and show them the basic respect they are entitled to as human beings, that's all that is important.  People are the same that way, the world over!

I asked this question about dress code simply to be in accordance with local cultural customs, because THAT is a sign of respect for the particular location's culture, and has nothing to do with impressing an Immigration officer.  As @ThomasThBKK said, they can spot a poser from a mile away.  Some of the best con-artists in the world are snappy dressers LOL!

Funny how such a simple, innocent question has now turned into a four page thread, mostly composed of dim-witted and/or inflammatory comments.  Kind of sad really ????

It's because people on here having nothing to do all day, while telling you that they are living the dream!

10 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

It's because people on here having nothing to do all day, while telling you that they are living the dream!

That's a shame.  How can someone living in such an incredible place like Thailand have nothing worthwhile to do.  Kind of crazy to travel halfway around the world, only to spend your time staring at a computer screen and not interacting with the real world around you.

Edited by WaveHunter

37 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Your constructing a straw man extreme of the 'dress code'.  I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting dressing up in full business attire for a tourist visa -- just dress smartly and conservatively (and comfortably).  i.e. if you are going for a tourist visa -- dress like a 'quality' tourist... not riff-raft.  And yes, behaviour is very important too.  It is not that they the rules will be different, but if there are issues - they may be more forgiving if you don't come across as riff-raft.

• Confused 1