Visa Question - Is this a viable option?

Stop making 65k xfers after you get the 12 mth extension, leave before extension expires (take trip home or wherever), come back on a short-term visa, start making 65k xfers when back, get a 90-day non-O visa based on 2 or 3 monthly 65k xfers, then get a 12 mth extension based on income method. Then, can stop making the 65k xfers and do the same again next year. As per the rules, it looks like it's a viable option. Or, can you only get the 90-day non-O in-country based on 800k now?

I used the 65k income method for a 90-day non-O when I arrived in 2016 as a first-timer, but I'm not sure if they still do it or whether it can be done like I described above over and over again.

Just asking for a friend who wants to know since he's not here for a few months at a time and doesn't want to make the xfers when he's not here. He owns a condo here. He's not asking about the 800k in bank method. He already knows about that option.

Edited by BertM

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I'd just get the Non O-A when back in home Country.

Problem with O-A in US is the cost and hassle of going to consulate in another state like California or to Washington DC when he goes home for a short visit in Texas. My friend works in Saudi, so it's a lot easier for him to pick up a short-term visa at Thai consulate in Bahrain rather than flying all the way back to US. His thinking is, he can get a 2 mth visa in Bahrain where he stays while working in Saudi, then 90-day non-O & 12 mth extension in Thailand for a total of about 17 mths and only needs to make about 5 or 6 - 65k xfers. The rest of time he can xfer what he needs to when he's there. The rest of the money can be sent back to US or used in Bahrain. That's his way of looking at it anyway. His other problem is he may be out of Thailand when his extension expires.

Edited by BertM

12 minutes ago, BertM said:

Problem with O-A in US is the cost and hassle of going to consulate in another state like California or to Washington DC when he goes home for a short visit in Texas. My friend works in Saudi, so it's a lot easier for him to pick up a short-term visa at Thai consulate in Bahrain rather than flying all the way back to US. His thinking is, he can get a 2 mth visa in Bahrain where he stays while working in Saudi, then 90-day non-O & 12 mth extension in Thailand for a total of about 17 mths and only needs to make about 5 or 6 - 65k xfers. The rest of time he can xfer what he needs to when he's there. The rest of the money can be sent back to US or used in Bahrain. That's his way of looking at it anyway. He's on extension now and has the income, but was really not wanting to xfer or keep too much there. Just looking at different options.

I think you can do the OA by mail from Texas to the LA Consulate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

They will see your behaviour after 1-2 years and refuse you an extension.

I agree. That's what I told my friend who was asking about doing this as an option. It may work one time, but not sure it would work twice. A little background on my friend so it makes some sense. He has condo in Thailand and comes often. He works in Saudi and has family (wife & kids) back in Texas who he sees on short 2 week home visits while working overseas. He doesn't have enough time to be fooling with O-A visas when he goes home for 2 wks. He's been getting a retirement extension for past few years with embassy letter. Now, he doesn't want to make the 12 monthly xfers or xfer 800k to Thailand while he's working in Saudi because his wife will find out and question him. It will be interesting to see how he manages this going forward. 

Edited by BertM
  • Sad 1