Thailand braces for impact of soaring oil prices following drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities, Energy Ministry says

webfact

Hmm, what does the Energy Ministry know

Quote :

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand expects little impact from surging oil prices on its inflation rate and exports following attacks on Saudi oil facilities, a commerce ministry official said on Monday.

40 minutes ago, pizzachang said:

I saw on several news channels that Saudi A. had already restored production. If that is the case, will we see "soaring oil prices" anyway?

Already happened. From a UK financial broker email update late last night -

In parallel, front month Brent crude oil futures on ICE came off their 200-week moving average, jumping by 10.88% to $67.56 a barrel after surging by nearly 20% at the start of trading.

From https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49721301

The knock-on effect was a 5% cut in global oil supplies and soaring prices.

Experts say it could take weeks before the facilities are fully functioning again.

1 hour ago, pizzachang said:

I saw on several news channels that Saudi A. had already restored production. If that is the case, will we see "soaring oil prices" anyway?

The Saudi's were hoping to restore one third of lost production but it will take weeks/months to restore full production. So price hikes are on the cards.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Nah. Baht will get stronger. Always does.

I'm pretty sure you're correct.. for now.

But it has to turn around at some point. Things in Norway has been going very good for a while already now (despite the EU, UK and US/China situations) with the only exception being the weak Norwegian Kroner, while Thailand has a far more vulnerable and unstable economy and gov't. So as I see it its just a matter of time. Lets just hope it doesn't drag on too long.

1 hour ago, HOAX said:

I'm pretty sure you're correct.. for now.

But it has to turn around at some point. Things in Norway has been going very good for a while already now (despite the EU, UK and US/China situations) with the only exception being the weak Norwegian Kroner, while Thailand has a far more vulnerable and unstable economy and gov't. So as I see it its just a matter of time. Lets just hope it doesn't drag on too long.

I get paid in THB so I'm all for a strong Baht.  Why would you expect it to weaken?  Big Mac index suggests otherwise.  Thailand has a large current account surplus (unlike the US, UK).  Its budget deficit is mild.  The economy is growing faster than most western ones.

There have been three government announcements re oil prices.

1. There will be no impact on Thailand with the cut in Saudi oil production. (yesterday)

2. There will be minimal impact on Thailand with the oil crisis in Saudi Arabia. (earlier today)

3. Thailand braces for impact of soaring oil prices. (just now)

Really, this government is so hopelessly uncoordinated it can't even get their stories lined up. And that comes back to poor leadership.

46 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

1. There will be no impact on Thailand with the cut in Saudi oil production. (yesterday)

2. There will be minimal impact on Thailand with the oil crisis in Saudi Arabia. (earlier today)

Really, this government is so hopelessly uncoordinated it can't even get their stories lined up. And that comes back to poor leadership.

It is part of the Thailand Happiness program. You pick the version you like, read it and ignore the others. 

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

It's called hedging their bets.  No matter what happens, they will be right one way or the other.

8 hours ago, pizzachang said:

If I continue breathing, I may be able to answer that question through personal experience. Then I will post it for all to see.

Archived