Quick English Thai Translation.

alejju

13 minutes ago, carlyai said:

@alejju 'as long as you love' or 'as long as you love something/all things/someone'? Not sure but in the Thai version it may be best to have an object of the love.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

But you could "have love" - "mii kwam rak" -  couldnt you?

I know what it says but to translate by substituting Thai for English is unlikely to work so can you explain it? 

It could mean: while you love someone there is hope that they will love you, for example. 

I will have the chance to get a Thai opinion for you when I can explain it. 

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I know what it says but to translate by substituting Thai for English is unlikely to work so can you explain it? 

It could mean: while you love someone there is hope that they will love you, for example. 

I will have the chance to get a Thai opinion for you when I can explain it. 

I would like to say "As long as you love, you will still have hope ... something like "that your love will come back". I'm not very fluent in english so I don't know if it's a good traduction... But you can understand what I mean...

This probably won't be appreciated by the OP, but I gotta say it. It is never a good idea to force a saying that sounds good to you in English into Thai, especially for a tattoo. You're much better off finding an established and accepted Thai saying that resonates with you when you hear an accurate English translation of it.

Why do I say this? Well, because if you force an English saying into Thai--whether it "makes sense" or not--trust me, it will just lead to head-scratching among your intended audience. Who is your intended audience? Well, if you're talking about getting a tattoo on your body in Thai, your intended audience is native speakers of Thai who are literate in their own language.

Please don't tell me that's not your intended audience. Because if it wasn't, then you wouldn't be getting the tattoo in THAI in the first place.

C'mon people, let's use our brains and THINK.

I agree with you choranoo

2 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

This probably won't be appreciated by the OP, but I gotta say it. It is never a good idea to force a saying that sounds good to you in English into Thai, especially for a tattoo. You're much better off finding an established and accepted Thai saying that resonates with you when you hear an accurate English translation of it.

Please don't tell me that's not your intended audience. Because if it wasn't, then you wouldn't be getting the tattoo in THAI in the first place.

Yes but as learners we want to be able to communicate in Thai. It would seem that since alejju’s native language is not English  he should perhaps consider an English saying. 

“While there’s life their’s hope” might serve if hope was replaced by the word love and if that is the meaning wanted. 

29 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Now the next thing is, where would you place all that, in what font and size?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

You need to cut it down and make it pithy. I think that ...ตราบใด....ตราบนั้น has already become ตาบใดที่ or perhaps ที .. meaning whenever for example. Can you understand ตราบใดที่มีรัก ก็มีหวัง 

Edit: I think that most sayings need explaining, มีรักก็มีหวัง Where there is ‘to’ love then there is ‘to’ hope. A verb can not exist like that and Thai especially needs a noun so add ความ if you like but I think that most people are bright enough to work it out. 

12 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

Why do I say this? Well, because if you force an English saying into Thai--whether it "makes sense" or not--trust me, it will just lead to head-scratching among your intended audience. Who is your intended audience? Well, if you're talking about getting a tattoo on your body in Thai, your intended audience is native speakers of Thai who are literate in their own language.

Actually, in my case my audience is not native speakers of Thai, my audience is just me, no one arround me speaks Thai and I don't know Thai people and I don't care if it is not a perfect traduction. I just want this sentence cause it's symbolize something for me and I want-it in thai cause it's symbolize something too. Alls my tatoos are symbols and I don't get tatoos for over people but for me. But I understand your view, it's just not my case. Regards. 

PS: I took this sentence in movie Love of Siam 2:14:40, if someone can get access to this movie and traduce this sentence it would be perfect. Maybe it's the more easy way

Best Regards

Another cock up by me! 

I was pondering the use of ยอม which needed some creativity to make fit by making it say ยอมรับ and found that I had missed ไม้เอก, it should be ย่อม เป็นคำช่วยกริยาแสดงว่าเป็นไปตามปรกดี, ตามธรรมดา หรือเป็นสามัญทั่ว ๆ ไป . 

To late to edit and in case alejju doesn’t return I have attempted to send him a message. 

I was just about to comment on the words running together topic and say how easy Thai is if you learn it properly and take note of the tone and other features! 

Archived