UK's Johnson buffeted in Luxembourg, says Brexit deal emerging

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, nauseus said:

This is a good listing with some explanation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_related_to_the_European_Union

Particularly this bit of the same listing. The European Constitution (failed) is essentially the same as the Lisbon Treaty. Notably, the French and Dutch rejected the European Constitution but were not given a vote on the The Lisbon Treaty, with the UK, Denmark, Czech Republic, Poland and Portugal not given a vote for either.  

European Constitution, 2005

Several member states used or intended to use referendums to ratify the Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe (TCE).

Referendums were planned, but not held, in:

Again, you fail to provide any evidence for the accusation. 

Since the laws are clear that the EU doesn’t have any say in a sovereign member state’s referendums, it’s a blatant and pretty stupid lie. 

33 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A fine example of EU influenced democracy at its finest!  

A fine example of how sovereign EU member states are. And a fine example of how Brexiteers only care about the will of the people when it goes their way. 

13 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Some "Dozens" are the big "crowd"! ????

Same type of Expats, who are whinging about the "strong" Baht in Thailand?

And the "Fascists" record is also played again...

So, whinging is free, and there is nothing to blame about it.

"Stars on 45"

Are you implying something bad about the UK's PM person because he fled for some 'dozens' of displeased compatriots, standing at a safe distance behind high metal spikes? 

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Again, you fail to provide any evidence for the accusation. 

Since the laws are clear that the EU doesn’t have any say in a sovereign member state’s referendums, it’s a blatant and pretty stupid lie. 

A fine example of how sovereign EU member states are. And a fine example of how Brexiteers only care about the will of the people when it goes their way. 

What is pretty stupid is your notion that the EU has no influence on "sovereign" (member) states internal business. 

9 hours ago, bangrak said:

Are you implying something bad about the UK's PM person because he fled for some 'dozens' of displeased compatriots, standing at a safe distance behind high metal spikes? 

Not at all!

I'm just commented this "big" breaking news, about the outrage of the masses! 

9 hours ago, nauseus said:

What is pretty stupid is your notion that the EU has no influence on "sovereign" (member) states internal business. 

Exactly!

Recent example: Italy

If its "right" wing, or "left" wing (like in Greece), doesn't matter in the "Horse Trades".

The only thing that matters, is power and influence on the planned way to the "United States of Europe".

and Brussels DC (District Corruption) as the capital. ????

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well they are similar in content, I have to give you that.

Amusing. Bravo. However, the point is that whatever happens the UK has to negotiate with the EU on trade, on legal matters, immigration, imports/exports, on financial services, defence, scientific programs, combined ongoing projects, etc. etc. There's no way the UK could stand alone, or would want to, mostly owing to costs and commitments, and May's deal IMO, is a starting point where 'going forward' would be addressed during the transitional period with as little disruption as possible.

A No-deal would mean exactly the same involvements, except there would be no starting point and no transitional period and massive disruption. I would like to believe that the benefits for leavers is to accept May's (possibly amended) deal rather than crashing out with no deal - because johnson's last chance saloon is fast approaching.

Is that a reasonable and sensible response?

8 hours ago, Loiner said:

Done
30.4 million didn’t vote to Remain.
We still Leave

Actually, it's up to parliament to decide that. Currently 3 years down the line, what's best for Britain is not necessarily to act like a lemming, which johnson is on track for - and if he succeeds on a no deal, that would be the end of him and the tory party at the next GE. 

I would suggest that 'leaving' is only the first chapter in a very long saga that would involve UK/EU negotiations for many years to come  - read 103 above - which would of course be funded by the taxpayer. 

It seems Bettel's little 2 minute stand up routine hasn't gone down too well in the UK. I spoke to a good friend and my sister last night, both of whom are reluctant Remainers and both of whom were pretty disgusted by the setup (both the presence of "rent a mob" and the refusal to do the conference away from the crowd) and subsequent attempt at humiliation of our PM. Just because they don't like Johnson, doesn't mean they like the position of UK PM being disrespected like that. 

These acts by the likes of Bettel are really not helping the EU cause. Some light reading might be in order for our friend and partner Xavier.

image.png.88e50297b05eea7d3f448023ab6b9daa.png

17 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

Exactly!

Recent example: Italy

If its "right" wing, or "left" wing (like in Greece), doesn't matter in the "Horse Trades".

The only thing that matters, is power and influence on the planned way to the "United States of Europe".

and Brussels DC (District Corruption) as the capital. ????

What's wrong with that? Do you think the man in the street would give a monkeys  - I don't. I would expect any member state to both influence the EU and be influenced by them - and as for corruption, the UK is hardly a shining example at any level.   

2 hours ago, vogie said:

There won't be many people in the UK who is bothered what Bettel says, especially after his theatrical charade backfired on him.

It only backfired in the british rightwing press, the rest of the world is still laughing at chicken boris and his absence 

EEnklgbX4AAxjFv?format=jpg&name=900x900

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Amusing. Bravo. However, the point is that whatever happens the UK has to negotiate with the EU on trade, on legal matters, immigration, imports/exports, on financial services, defence, scientific programs, combined ongoing projects, etc. etc. There's no way the UK could stand alone, or would want to, mostly owing to costs and commitments, and May's deal IMO, is a starting point where 'going forward' would be addressed during the transitional period with as little disruption as possible.

A No-deal would mean exactly the same involvements, except there would be no starting point and no transitional period and massive disruption. I would like to believe that the benefits for leavers is to accept May's (possibly amended) deal rather than crashing out with no deal - because johnson's last chance saloon is fast approaching.

Is that a reasonable and sensible response?

A no "deal" would mean different involvements, or less involvement - that's what leaving means after all. I agree that some kind of leaving arrangement and deal has always been preferable. However, this so-called "deal" agreed by May is a treaty that is mostly disadvantageous to the UK. The EU evidently are against a reasonable deal for the UK, which might see some success from Brexit and possibly give other members pause to consider leaving too. 

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

We wanted a trade deal, not a withdrawal deal.

Quite, like a child having a tantrum and with the same level of mentality think that if they scream long enough and hard enough they will get what they want.

Time to face reality.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-operation-yellowhammer-boris-johnson-cars-ports-a9108471.html

1 hour ago, tebee said:

It only backfired in the british rightwing press, the rest of the world is still laughing at chicken boris and his absence 

It did not only backfire in the rightwing press, this is from The Guardian. His intension was wholly to trap Boris in a cheap media stunt and all that he achieved is alienating even more people in the UK, which certainly does your cause no good. We need more like him and Verhofstadt, they are helping Boris more than you probably realise.

How anyone from the UK can find it funny that another country has tried to humiliate your own Prime Minister is totally unbelievable and would put up a rediculous meme to boot defies all logic and decency.

I am totally convinced if Bettel came to the UK he would be treated with the utmost respect, it should not be too much to ask for our PM to be given the same treatment when visiting another EU country (whether you like him or not).

The chair of the Bundestag’s foreign affairs committee, Norbert Röttgen, who is a senior member of Angela Merkel’s CDU party, tweeted: “Xavier Bettel’s speech yesterday did not serve the European cause. His public venting ignored that a deal is still in everyone’s interest.

“Even without a deal there will be a post-Brexit life, which means that right now everyone needs to behave in a way that avoids animosity.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/luxembourg-pms-treatment-of-johnson-may-harm-brexit-talks

3 hours ago, vogie said:

There won't be many people in the UK who is bothered what Bettel says, especially after his theatrical charade backfired on him.

I think it did backfire. Apparently after the anti-Boris volume outside was heard to be far too high to allow for an audible press conference, with Q&A, his team asked to move it inside - request denied - not enough room! Alternatives are part of any schedule for heads of government, for security reasons if nothing else. It should have been easy to relocate and it was the correct diplomatic thing to do.

This situation must have been foreseen. Since the referendum, the EU seems to have enjoyed trying to discredit UK government ministers. This Luxembourger PM then mocks Boris in his absence and ends up looking like the real fool. Operation Backfire! Like an EU fart gone wrong.  

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think it did backfire. Apparently after the anti-Boris volume outside was heard to be far too high to allow for an audible press conference, with Q&A, his team asked to move it inside - request denied - not enough room! Alternatives are part of any schedule for heads of government, for security reasons if nothing else. It should have been easy to relocate and it was the correct diplomatic thing to do.

This situation must have been foreseen. Since the referendum, the EU seems to have enjoyed trying to discredit UK government ministers. This Luxembourger PM then mocks Boris in his absence and ends up looking like the real fool. Operation Backfire! Like an EU fart gone wrong.  

I think UK government ministers are doing an admirable job of discrediting themselves. They need very little help in that respect. 

A bit noisy in Parliament as well for Boris it appears.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It did not only backfire in the rightwing press, this is from The Guardian. His intension was wholly to trap Boris in a cheap media stunt and all that he achieved is alienating even more people in the UK, which certainly does your cause no good. We need more like him and Verhofstadt, they are helping Boris more than you probably realise.
How anyone from the UK can find it funny that another country has tried to humiliate your own Prime Minister is totally unbelievable and would put up a rediculous meme to boot defies all logic and decency.
I am totally convinced if Bettel came to the UK he would be treated with the utmost respect, it should not be too much to ask for our PM to be given the same treatment when visiting another EU country (whether you like him or not).

The chair of the Bundestag’s foreign affairs committee, Norbert Röttgen, who is a senior member of Angela Merkel’s CDU party, tweeted: “Xavier Bettel’s speech yesterday did not serve the European cause. His public venting ignored that a deal is still in everyone’s interest.

“Even without a deal there will be a post-Brexit life, which means that right now everyone needs to behave in a way that avoids animosity.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/luxembourg-pms-treatment-of-johnson-may-harm-brexit-talks

Brexiteers "avoiding animosity". That's a good one.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived