Non-O-X visa

Does anyone at all have experience of obtaining a Non-Immigrant X visa? It doesn't seem to be discussed.

I'm pretty desperate as to how I'm going to continue living in Thailand, as I have now for the last twenty years with a family and home. Briefly, I've survived on multiple-entry Non-immigrant 'O' visas based on being married to a Thai and renewed annually either in London (as a British citizen, though I don't live there at all) or France (where I live several months a year). The requirements of the new system seems to exclude any applicant who is not resident in the country he applies, ie. anyone who has been an informal resident of Thailand. Surely I can't be the only one in this position?

Anyway, I could meet the rather stringent financial requirements of the Non-Immigrant X visa, but would be greatly reassured to hear from anyone else who has succeeded in getting one, as this appears to be my only hope.

You can, currently, get a NE Non O from the consulate in Savannahket, Loas without being resident.

I doubt they have sold many O-X visas so you might struggle to get a reply.

If you can afford the O-X visa why don’t you get a SE Non O followed by a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage? That would appear to be your easiest option and most appropriate way to stay.

OP I have the feeling that in your situation, and in the long run, you'd be better off with a 20 years TE membership, that would cost you only on million baht. With your regular stays in France you'd have to go to immigration very rarely as most of the soviet type 90 days reports and TM30 can be done on line.

What is really special and unique about the O-X visas, at least according to the stated regulations, is that they can be obtained in Thailand, thus avoiding the new requirement (in the EU at least) to be a resident of the country in which one applies. But some assurance from anyone with practical experience would be priceless.

5 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

OP I have the feeling that in your situation, and in the long run, you'd be better off with a 20 years TE membership, that would cost you only on million baht. With your regular stays in France you'd have to go to immigration very rarely as most of the soviet type 90 days reports and TM30 can be done on line.

One million baht is a hell of an expense. The O-X visa just requires keeping 3 million baht in a bank account, which is financially cheap and even prudent in the light of the financial market's best guesses as to the short and medium-term future of the baht (and, dealing with the unknown, I'd assume financiers with a real stake are more clued-up than political pundits).

42 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

What is really special and unique about the O-X visas, at least according to the stated regulations, is that they can be obtained in Thailand, thus avoiding the new requirement (in the EU at least) to be a resident of the country in which one applies. But some assurance from anyone with practical experience would be priceless.

That is incorrect info posted on the MFA and embassy websites. Immigration will not issue a non-ox visa.

It was the linked, compulsory from a small list, health insurance that scored the O-X off the list for me (along with the exchange rate which has now declined a further 17% since I looked at that Visa option at the start of 2018). The insurance would be an unknown cost going forward. The health insurance also requires you to be in Thailand more than 180 days, so since I will always spend 91 days + in the UK, I read it as potentially 90 ish days cover for a 12 month period, and looked no further????  .

(Don't think that I'm against Health insurance, in an open market selection)

Big fan of the non-O ME, and don't have a time machine to go back 18 months to change my pension decisions! Their limited, and non-availability in the Uk has certainly made things awkward. 

If you hold a UK passport, you are still a UK resident, no matter if you have a UK address or not. Needing to have UK residency to use the E visa system is exactly that. A US citizen on holiday in the UK for instance, can no longer obtain a Thai visa in the UK. Only if that US citizen has leave to remain in the UK on a long term visa.
You as a UK passport holder can no longer apply for a Thai visa in France unless you have French residency. Once a country uses the E visa application, which all country's will over the next 2 years or so, only residents of those country's can then apply in those country's.
Although it states the O-X visa is available in Thailand, it appears they won't issue it here BUT you can absolutely apply by E visa and collect the visa in London if you hold a UK passport. Holding a UK passport you are a UK resident and always will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrmaanda said:

One million baht is a hell of an expense. The O-X visa just requires keeping 3 million baht in a bank account, which is financially cheap and even prudent in the light of the financial market's best guesses as to the short and medium-term future of the baht (and, dealing with the unknown, I'd assume financiers with a real stake are more clued-up than political pundits).

Have you given a thought to the Health Insurance requirement? If you have a good cover from your previous life, as I have, then under Non-OX you'd still have to buy a stupid cover, which would cost you anything between 50K to 100K a year; multiply that by 20. So far there is no such requirement under TE.

Lovethailandelite,

I would love to believe you are right. But what then is one supposed to fill in as one 's permanent address in the online application to the London embassy?  I don't have a UK address. And what about the fact that my bank statements show a Thai address.

Has anyone in similar residence circumstances applied for a visa in London since June?

And to you and Ubonjoe, please can you tell me how you know they will not grant a non-O-X in Thailand despite the regulations saying they will?  You are dashing my last hope, so I need to be certain.

14 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

You are dashing my last hope

As has been asked, why do you not just obtain a SE non-O visa based on being married to a Thai, deposit 400,000 THB (you could still put the 3 million in if you so wished) in a Thai bank account for 2 months and then apply for a yearly extension of stay based on being married to a Thai, after which apply for a ME re-entry permit?

Strikes me as being a lot cheaper and easier than the route you want to go with the non O-X visa.

The only drawback is renewing the EOS yearly, if you qualify then this isn't that difficult.

46 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

And to you and Ubonjoe, please can you tell me how you know they will not grant a non-O-X in Thailand despite the regulations saying they will?  You are dashing my last hope, so I need to be certain.

Because immigration have told many people it can only be applied for at a embassy in your home country.

There is no regulation stating immigration does them.

Mattd,

Thanks.  I had no idea I could get an extension in Thailand.  But the big problem remains of where to get the SE non-O? I'm in France, where I am no longer eligible to apply as a no-resident, and it looks at though applying in London won't work either, both because one is supposed to be resident there and because reports say the system is currently in chaos there.

What is "EOS" please?

Ubonjoe,

The regulations I found online said about non-O-X:

• Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non–O–X visa.

It is the only kind of visa of which they say this. You say "immigration have told many people". I'm surprised many people are applying.  Have you been told this by someone who has applied himself?

5 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

Thanks.  I had no idea I could get an extension in Thailand.  But the big problem remains of where to get the SE non-O?

You could get s single or multiple entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate near to here.

Or if prepared to do it you can also apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) visa at immigration here.

2 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

The regulations I found online said about non-O-X:

• Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non–O–X visa.

Those are not regulations. 

Mattd,

Thanks.  I had no idea I could get an extension in Thailand.  But the big problem remains of where to get the SE non-O? I'm in France, where I am no longer eligible to apply as a no-resident, and it looks at though applying in London won't work either, both because one is supposed to be resident there and because reports say the system is currently in chaos there.

What is "EOS" please?

Others can advise on the best embassy or consulate to apply for a non-O visa local to Thailand, there are many options and are often discussed on here.

Sorry EOS = Extension of Stay.

You qualify to apply to extend your permission to stay in Thailand for up to one year, as you are married to a Thai, there are many threads on the forum on how to do this.

One of the main requirements (apart from being married!!) is 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account in your sole name for a minimum of 2 months prior to making the application at the immigration office closest to your home in Thailand, there is the option of 40,000 THB per month income, however, it seems in your case the lump sum of 400,000 is more applicable.

Your wife would need to be with you when you make the application, I am sure that UJ or one of the other members will have a list of the documents / requirements needed to make the application, especially if you can advise which immigration office you would lodge the application to.

Note that you would need to have a re-entry permit prior to departing Thailand to keep the extension of stay alive.

Edited by Mattd

Thanks Mattd, That is very helpful.  As it happens, I have had more than 400,000 in my account for many months. I would be applying in Chiangmai. But do I have to be in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa to apply for an EOS based on marriage?  Is it not possible to come visa exempt and apply straight away?

5 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

Is it not possible to come visa exempt and apply straight away?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get s single or multiple entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate near to here.

Or if prepared to do it you can also apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) visa at immigration here.

2 hours ago, jrmaanda said:

Lovethailandelite,

I would love to believe you are right. But what then is one supposed to fill in as one 's permanent address in the online application to the London embassy?  I don't have a UK address. And what about the fact that my bank statements show a Thai address.

Has anyone in similar residence circumstances applied for a visa in London since June?

As I said, you are a UK resident. When you register for the E visa account, you use your Thai address and your British passport. On the residency page, leave it blank. That doesn't apply to you. That only applies those non UK passport holders with UK residency.
And yes, many people living in Thailand have since applied for an O-A visa in the UK. You are not stateless, you are and always will be a UK resident. You are not a Thai resident. You are only here on a temporary entry, no matter what extension or visa you enter on.
What you cannot do, is apply on the E visa page to collect the visa in France or China unless you hold a French or Chinese passport or have been granted a long stay French or Chinese residency.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

As I said, you are a UK resident. When you register for the E visa account, you use your Thai address and your British passport. On the residency page, leave it blank. That doesn't apply to you. That only applies those non UK passport holders with UK residency.
And yes, many people living in Thailand have since applied for an O-A visa in the UK. You are not stateless, you are and always will be a UK resident.

I would be most grateful if anyone here can confirm having successfully obtained any kind of visa from the Thai embassy in London in the last three months doing as Lovethailandelite suggests here and registering with their Thai address?

I would be most grateful if anyone here can confirm having successfully obtained any kind of visa from the Thai embassy in London in the last three months doing as Lovethailandelite suggests here and registering with their Thai address?

I think the terminology is confusing you.

The embassy want proof that you have the legal right to live in the UK. If you are a British’s passport holder you have that right. If you aren’t you have to provide proof that you can legally reside in the country. 

The embassy don’t care were you are living as long as you apply for the visa while physically in the UK.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

I think the terminology is confusing you.

The embassy want proof that you have the legal right to live in the UK. If you are a British’s passport holder you have that right. If you aren’t you have to provide proof that you can legally reside in the country. 

The embassy don’t care were you are living as long as you apply for the visa while physically in the UK.

Yes mostly correct other than he can apply from anywhere in the world with Internet access as it's only online application now. First he needs to apply online, upload his documents then to make an appointment, lodge the hard copies of the documents he sent electronically and collect the visa in the UK. It actually doesn't matter what address you use for registering.

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jrmaanda said:

And what about the fact that my bank statements show a Thai address.

During a short call to the London Embassy further clarifying financial combo method for an O-A, the person I was speaking to actually raised the subject, that if including an amount in a Thai Bank account, that you need a letter from the Thai bank "passbook is not enough". So circumstantially they appear to be expecting people to show Thai Bank Accounts!

The only thing it left me wondering was how long would the bank letter be valid for, or should I put it in a three month fixed account and get a letter???

[Note;- clarifying financial combo method for an O-A, the account for the income stream must be separate from accounts showing the deposit amounts, the deposit account(s) should not show a lot of in outs]

22 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

During a short call to the London Embassy further clarifying financial combo method for an O-A, the person I was speaking to actually raised the subject, that if including an amount in a Thai Bank account, that you need a letter from the Thai bank "passbook is not enough". So circumstantially they appear to be expecting people to show Thai Bank Accounts!

The only thing it left me wondering was how long would the bank letter be valid for, or should I put it in a three month fixed account and get a letter???

[Note;- clarifying financial combo method for an O-A, the account for the income stream must be separate from accounts showing the deposit amounts, the deposit account(s) should not show a lot of in outs]

The London Thai Embassy will accept a UK or a Thai bank account with the correct documentation. They also accept the medical certificate if it's done in Thailand.

• Like 2