Two years smoke free

Samui Bodoh

Congrats on quitting...I too quit 50+ years ago so I had only been smoking 2-3 years.  My Dau asked me to quit - a tv commercial at the time had a child saying "daddy your cigarettes are killing me!"  I got a book about quitting smoking but most were torture to me so I did a self hypnosis bit - I picked a date 30 days in advance, and each time I lit up a cigarette I would say to myself 30 days and I quit and will never want a cigarette again, then next day say 29 more days and I will never want a cigarette again, then next say 28 days....until the last day saying 1 more day and I will never want a cigarette again.  I had half a pack left, tossed it and have never wanted another cigarette!  It works!

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Wow! Another one. Where is the world going. I have been advocating that too much use of social media is damaging a persons check of reality.

Really? So, today grown up people need a picture of something they want to get the thumb out of their <deleted> to do the right thing. It´s not enough with all the health benefits that quitting smoking stands for. No that would be too smart and realistic. Instead we need to look on pictures, like a 7 year old waiting for his new Lego Ninjago close to christmas.

You people are really something! Grow up.

Matzzon, its called motivation, the desire to reach a goal and if that goal is to quit smoking and it works, why not.

Congratulations to the OP.

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Congratulations! I know I have said this before as a warning but even though you have given up you are still only a smoker who has stopped smoking. 

Sorry, my attitude is different. I am a non-smoker, full stop.

11 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

Ten days cig-free for me

A few observations..

I had more bodily than mental symptoms after quitting

A burst of energy in the first day or two and then I slumbed.

Sleep disturbances (very early rise)

Headaches  (as most smokers,rarely had any before)

Morning wood ????

Still not out of the woods yet...desire is not there anymore but my body refuses to go back to normal

I gather my mind/brain is refusing to come to terms with the new reality????

See how it goes from here

Btw...It was my heart that 'complained' loudly in the last couple of years that did it for me

Was never a big inhaler of smoke btw

Well 16th September was 12 months smoke free. I am 77 and suffering with COPD, Emphysema, shortage breath, had acute bronchitis 2 times a year I tried like you halfhearted a few times this time I was serious I went on Champix tablets and set the date to stop 16 September last yr and did it no problem. Never again. Just do it, remember the suffering you had with smoking. I am breathing great, am not going back to that life.

My dad was a chain smoker for ever (born in 1927, a WW 2veteran)  always had a great physique and was quite and athlete.  In 2006 diagnosed with cancer of the bladder, bladder not gall bladder.  Apparently a very very aggressive form of cancer.  He had been peeing some blood for about a week then finally went to the doctor.  Diagnosis was on Friday, Operation scheduled for Monday.  Fairly easy surgery.  Fixed him right up.  He stopped smoking cold turkey.  To me, that was a miracle because he was a drinker and a smoker and I couldn't imagine him stopping smoking.  He did.   He immediately remarked how much more tasteful food was.  Well, yeah, I can only imagine how dulled the taste buds must have been after decades of being exposed to hot toxic smoke.  He lived ten more years and was not too bad off.  Towards the end his lungs were not that good and spent more and more time in the reclining chair, had to have oxygen portable enricher etc.  He had three grandchildren at the time and I have to believe that he really did want to live longer and experience more family things. 

So hats off to you sir.  Keep up the better health lifestyle. 

13 years smoke free for me. Well done everybody. Hypnotherapy helped me. It helped with relaxation as well as auto suggestion. As for there being nothing worse than reformed smokers...not true. The worst people are horrible, smelly anti social smokers. Congratulate yourselves for having broken away from them.

19 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You, It has nothing to do with the like of music, food or humour or anything else where things can differ. That´s all ok, but you can not go through life so weak that you are unable to control your own urges and body. That´s not acceptable in my world, but I know. It´s the new world, now we should feel sorry for each and everyone and understand their difficulties. It´s a weak world, and therefore there are so many failures and only the few and strong survive.

You see, good olé Darwin had a point after all.

You have no idea what you're talking about: None.

cheers for the topic OP. interesting reading the comments down the line. I been 'smoke ' free for 2 years but rely still on nicotine via vaping. I hope to get there eventually, ie no nicotine, I do less and less, and seem to vape only when I remember to, rather than when I need to.

anyway, I hope (not just for my childrens sake) that soon tobacco will be banned worldwide.

imo it should have been so many years ago, today, I believe there is no excuse,even for hardened smokers.

11 hours ago, shaurene said:

Well 16th September was 12 months smoke free. I am 77 and suffering with COPD, Emphysema, shortage breath, had acute bronchitis 2 times a year I tried like you halfhearted a few times this time I was serious I went on Champix tablets and set the date to stop 16 September last yr and did it no problem. Never again. Just do it, remember the suffering you had with smoking. I am breathing great, am not going back to that life.

WOW!  77?  Holy <deleted>!

I found it very difficult to break a lifetime of habits at my age, I can only imagine how much more difficult it was for you at your age.

My deepest respect and admiration to you, Sir!

Thank you all for the kind words and support. Could I have quit without the TVF 'Stop Smoking Forum'? Yes. That said, it was both nicer and easier with it. Cheers all!

If you are a smoker and you have gotten this far into the thread, I would say that you have already decided to stop, even if you don't quite realize it yet. Ultimately, you have to decide and you have to do it, but I will point out that there is a great deal of wisdom, information, tips and tricks, goodwill and general support in this thread and others going back years. It is time; good luck.

Thanks again, All

I stopped about 18 years ago (in my early fourties). I had smoked ever since my teens, and it was very much part of the culture in which I lived (I was a soldier). In fact the first trick I remember from initial training was how to carry a couple of ciggies, matches and striker in the flap of your beret - pockets had to be empty! I stopped suddenly, after I went to pick up my mother from hospital. She had had a major heart operation to piggyback a valve from a pigs heart onto her own heart - to remedy a heart problem she had had from childhood and which was getting worse with age. It worked, and she lived on into her 90s! Anyway, I went to say thank you to the doctor and nurses on the ward. A young doctor asked me if I smoked. I said yes, and he said follow me. He led me down the centre of the ward, full of many very sick people, plugged into assorted machinery. As we passed each cubicle he simply murmured "he smokes, she smokes".

I stopped then. I simply threw my cigarettes in a bin as I left the hospital. That was it.

I saved money (the jar idea is good) and it certainly helped with my fitness. Running - never a favourite occupation but a requirement as a soldier became easier. Maybe I am lucky, but very much to my surprise I found giving up easy. The craving went after a few days, it was more really a matter of breaking a habit.

Anyway, well done to the OP.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

You have no idea what you're talking about: None.

Really? To me it seems that you are the one with no idea or clue about anything, just posting on the first thing you lay your eyes on. You did read that I posted myself smoke free for same 2 years before in the same thread? So, that kinda gives me the experience of the exact same thing. Or maybe you have a good twist on reality on that too.

So, who was cluless now? Talk about falling on your own comment. ????

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Well done!

I've been smoke free for 3.5 months now, after a lifetime of them. Of course, I feel 100% better.

It was difficult at first, but determination, was all I needed.

And Mattzzon, can you please shut up.

That´s what I am posting about. Determination and standing by that decision.

Why would I shut up? I am free to discuss and have my opinion as well as you. You on the other hand, are telling me that I do not have a clue, which is pure nonsense. I quit smoking 2 years ago after 33 years of the poison. But I do not go around clapping myself on the shoulder or want other to tell me how good I was. It was just another decision in life. That makes me know exactly what i am talking about. It´s better you read the posts before posting and please stop spout nonsense.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, Matzzon said:

I am the first one to congratulate you. I have also been smoke free for about 2 years now. No celebratrions, though.

But what a bunch of Bull. That´s just like everybody that achieved something. Ooh, I have the perfect plan. Do like me! Same with wealth and carrier moves in life. People writing countless of books about it.

The only thing you can do is quit, and stand by your choice. There is no plan.

Same with your carrier. Get educated and be representative and you will succeed.

Wealth, yeah, almost always comes with a great idea and know how.

It´s not more to it. 

What on earth are you on about.......:sad:

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Wow! Another one. Where is the world going. I have been advocating that too much use of social media is damaging a persons check of reality.

Really? So, today grown up people need a picture of something they want to get the thumb out of their <deleted> to do the right thing. It´s not enough with all the health benefits that quitting smoking stands for. No that would be too smart and realistic. Instead we need to look on pictures, like a 7 year old waiting for his new Lego Ninjago close to christmas.

You people are really something! Grow up.

A hammer, a screw driver, a drill, do you know what they are all classed as..?

Back in May I was quite ill, no idea what it was, couldn't eat, drink beer or smoke. It went on for about 3 weeks or more, lost about 2 stone too.

Thought I was on the way out.

Anyhoooo, very slowly it passed, I could just about drink protein shakes without feeling sick, but at the end of it all I didn't want to smoke, and still don't.

I have come to realise that I am a creature of habit, for instance, now I must chew gum when out, or driving the car, other stuff too.

You will never hear me having a go at smokers though, was a part of my long life, and near every ones history in one way or another...:stoner:

this one caught my attention, i always knew i was pissing away over 15k a month, but it took someone elses

interest in the financial harm it brings

to examine its devastating effect on my life.

i started at 17 and am 51 now,

with compounding interest i have now lost over 1/2 million USD, that is, if i had daily put aside the money i burned up and collected the ashes in an ashtray, if i had instead

invested them in anything that gives 5.3% roi per year,

and at this point id be making almost 50k USD per year interest from they money i invested instead of lightning up,

and rapidly increasing due to the compounding force

http://www.helpfulcalculators.com/compound-interest-calculator

compound interest.jpg

On 9/17/2019 at 9:26 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

I was a heavy smoker for 35 years and I quit, and if I can quit then anyone can. Should you quit? Yes. Pick a day and get to it.

One of the most positive posts I have read here all year round, well done, 3 cheers to you mate, you have done it, there is no turning back, EVER !!!!

I too was a heavy smoker and quit in the year 2000. I was a pack a day smoker, two on the weekend pub crawls. There I was on the balcony of my new abode after going through a recent divorce, talking on the phone, smoking away as I never liked to smoke indoors as it reeked, besides I had a 2 year old daughter, now 22, and I remember it clearly, she slide the rolled door to the side and came out onto the balcony, arm on her hip, pointing her finger at me with a cross look on her face and said; Daddy, if you don't stop smoking you will die and I don't want to grow up without a Daddy, she turned around, arms crossed and walked back inside, I ended the call quickly at the same time flicking the cigarette off of the balcony. I went inside and said, sweetie, where did you hear that I would die if I smoked, she told me that a lady at her preschool is dying from caser, she couldn't pronounce the word and tells us each day to tell our mummies and daddies to stop smoking if they smoke, otherwise they too will die like her.

I knew the lady at the school, and I thought what a selfless act of kindness, she later passed, was a smoker for many years God rest her soul, but I am very grateful to her and my daughter as messages come in all forms, and it's up to us to read between the lines.

8 years later I had a heart attack and survived it obviously, the Cardiologist did say all those years of smoking do clog your arteries, fortunately for me I started getting fit and eating well after I stopped smoking and he said that probably helped because if I kept smoking I would have probably not recovered from the heart attack.

I remarried, have two more daughters, 5 & 10 and have had a beautiful ride since I met my 2nd wife in 2007.

Giving up smoking is just the beginning, if you haven't had blood test carried out, you should, every 6 months, check your HDL cholesterol level, see a doctor or a Cardiologist, it doesn't hurt, and maybe discuss taking some Aspirin (coated), as its softer on your stomach, i.e. if they think it's a good idea to thin the blood, because if you end up with a clot as I did entering into a narrow artery, it could kill you.

Not wanting to spook you, but as you told me your great story, I have told you mine, and am also giving you a message, as the teacher at my daughter's preschool did to me indirectly, whether you read through the lines is, "up to you" as the Thai's say ????

Best of luck.

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

My dad was a chain smoker for ever (born in 1927, a WW 2veteran)  always had a great physique and was quite and athlete.  In 2006 diagnosed with cancer of the bladder, bladder not gall bladder.  Apparently a very very aggressive form of cancer.  He had been peeing some blood for about a week then finally went to the doctor.  Diagnosis was on Friday, Operation scheduled for Monday.  Fairly easy surgery.  Fixed him right up.  He stopped smoking cold turkey.  To me, that was a miracle because he was a drinker and a smoker and I couldn't imagine him stopping smoking.  He did.   He immediately remarked how much more tasteful food was.  Well, yeah, I can only imagine how dulled the taste buds must have been after decades of being exposed to hot toxic smoke.  He lived ten more years and was not too bad off.  Towards the end his lungs were not that good and spent more and more time in the reclining chair, had to have oxygen portable enricher etc.  He had three grandchildren at the time and I have to believe that he really did want to live longer and experience more family things. 

So hats off to you sir.  Keep up the better health lifestyle. 

Chain smokers must be on 2 or 3 packs a day; it's a certainty for chronic disease.  Yes, it's a real shame.

I originally gave up smoking because of nasal problems.  Curiously they never really went away until I moved out of Bangkok.  If anything the smoking helped, yet I did notice that I felt stronger in the gym and could run more easily.  Also, my weight increased by 4-5 kg which was a good thing in my case.

Obviously, I haven't had any noticeable benefits from stopping vaping because it's not dangerous like smoking.  However, I do feel better for not being at the mercy of an addiction I guess,

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Chain smokers must be on 2 or 3 packs a day; it's a certainty for chronic disease.  Yes, it's a real shame.

I originally gave up smoking because of nasal problems.  Curiously they never really went away until I moved out of Bangkok.  If anything the smoking helped, yet I did notice that I felt stronger in the gym and could run more easily.  Also, my weight increased by 4-5 kg which was a good thing in my case.

Obviously, I haven't had any noticeable benefits from stopping vaping because it's not dangerous like smoking.  However, I do feel better for not being at the mercy of an addiction I guess,

It is a long term health thing.  The heart lung oxygen transfer is what suffers or gets better.  You don't really feel that, it is not pain.  It comes as more stress on the heart when you try to exert yourself, climb stairs etc.  My poor dad the last few months could not walk up two steps without feeling exhausted.  Not the way you want to go out.  The shortness of breath, yech.  Stay on course!

• 2 months later...

Archived