"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

webfact

"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A leading university environmentalist has posted a damning picture of the trash on a Thai beach. 

Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat said he was sent the picture from a national marine park in Thailand. 

The picture speaks for itself but Dr Thon said that the Thais must act before the damage to the environment is irreversible. 

The deputy dean of Kasetsat University spoke of how Thailand has been shamed as the sixth worst ocean polluter on the planet. 

Comments on 6,400 shares of the picture remarked on the need for campaigns to stop the use of plastic to be stepped up and for people to stop throwing their trash in the wrong places. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-17

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i took these photos near my house in Hua Hin. A very common site unfortunately.

20190825_183354.jpg

20190825_183330.jpg

Im always amazed by the piles of construction debris you see here in vacant lots, roadsides and in worksites.

Inspectors in the USA would have a field day.

Send in the submarines, troops in their new carriers, the new tanks and throw in the aircraft carrier for good measure. That ought to fix things. Knew all the billions upon billions spent on the military would benefit the country, its citizens and environment.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat said he was sent the picture from a national marine park in Thailand.

In which case it might not be a Thai beach. I know that after a storm a lot of trash does get brought onto beaches and I don't dispute that a lot of rubbish is dropped on beaches by thoughtless people but more evidence needs to be given on which beach this was and when was the picture taken ?

There is this really weird behavior among Thai people

We have seen it many times over the years regardless of what province it is in.

If one Thai dumps some trash at a roadside spot it is as if someone put up a blinking sign that said

"New Dump Site"

Because in the coming weeks/months that single dumping of trash attracts more & more folks to dump there

Don't know why but there is zero respect for the Land which is odd given their supposed beliefs & use of spirit houses etc.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

When it's ocean trash it's a bit hard to blame the Thai's but people stopping by the side of the road to dump trash,  that's a whole nother matter!  And how many times have I seen trash thrown from a car or motorcycle....countless times!  ????

Yes indeed.  Every evening I ride my bicycle along a concrete road through the rice fields . A week or two back I had to wait as round the corner an ancient pick up had stopped in the middle of the road , When it had gone I saw why it had stopped , to unload a load of trash on the bank next to the stream . NIMBY I guess.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This should be required 1st pic in any tourism promotion...

This pic will likely disappear from the net...along with photographer...????

Agree.  The photographer is clearly damaging Thailand's image and needs to be arrested, detained and re educated.. after which he needs to make a public apology, grovel, and say it was misinformation.  If they can blame a few Burmese workers that would help too.  

8 minutes ago, meechai said:

There is this really weird behavior among Thai people

We have seen it many times over the years regardless of what province it is in.

If one Thai dumps some trash at a roadside spot it is as if someone put up a blinking sign that said

"New Dump Site"

Because in the coming weeks/months that single dumping of trash attracts more & more folks to dump there

Don't know why but there is zero respect for the Land which is odd given their supposed beliefs & use of spirit houses etc.

Same in my area up in Chiang Mai. I love to go cycling around the countryside, the scenery is stunning, lush rice fields, woodlands, mountains and streams.  

Over the years I have noticed more and more dumping of rubbish and various junk around the remoter places.  I cycled into the mountains near a dam where there used to be a lovely lake with buffalo grazing nearby and lush forest a few years back.  Well it had turned into a scene from an apocalyptic movie.... most of the trees were burnt, the lake was thick green soup, there were huge mountains of trash and rubbish piled everywhere and in the lake, in various stages of being burnt, and there were more piles of rusting fridges, an old car, and masses of plastic and plaster building materials in all directions.  I was disgusting and saddening how some people don't care at all about their environment or want to look after their own home and country.  

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i took these photos near my house in Hua Hin. A very common site unfortunately.

20190825_183354.jpg

20190825_183330.jpg

That one is “landfill”.

So they can build more “luxury house”.

I agree it ugly, but have reason. 

The house in the photo probably the same.

The beach rubbish is disaster, killing fish, turtle etc. So sad.

Look up Boyan Slat, a Dutch guy who developed a way to clean the oceans.  https://theoceancleanup.com/

Maybe there is hope, we truly need to quell the causes, education will help for sure. 

Plenty of landfill space for the next few generations, people just need to use proper receptacles and those receptacles need to be collected and dumped in the landfills. 

Archived