"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, simtemple said:

In varying degrees, every beach in the World, is now littered with plastic waste. It is unfair to point the finger at the Thai. What about the scum who caused this disaster? 

Litter with Thai writing/printing on it like I have seen so many times on Thai beaches over the many years I've been here?

On 9/17/2019 at 4:19 PM, SuwadeeS said:

Nothing new!!!!

I could post so many pictures of garbage in the ocean, canals, river and in the nature, that the Thai Visa server would break down.

Just another bad record for Thailand!!!!!

Very true, I believe most of us could do the same. Unbelievable that some of the surrounding countries are even worse than Thailand in that respect. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:55 AM, Nyezhov said:

Thats construction debris, it could be falangs too ????

Yes of course it is the farang.ive seen them driving around in their over loaded tipper trucks dumping everywhere.

you should join a Thai forum,you'll mix in a treat.

now in the real world most of us know who the culprits are.

Wow, lots of observations and comments about trash in Thailand, from my observations it's cultural, people here just don't give a rat's ass about where they dispose of their trash.

Go to any big shopping complex here, you are lucky to find 2 trash bins per floor, in others countries you see multiple trash bins everywhere, that's just crazy planning here in Thailand.

Some responsibility comes back to the useless Thai government here, how often do you see trash bins on any major Sois, very few...........and I know we have all have trash to discard of but if local government really had trash pick up points, more bins on Sois and more trash disposal centers things might....very might head Thailand in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Amalie said:

Burn plastic and make energy.  This is the only solution

Yes, converting the hydrocarbons in plastic back to oil and using as diesel does work. However some plastics can be recycled a few times before they reach the stage where using them as fuel is the only option. The solutions are already out there, but the infra is lacking or missing in Thailand, from collection to recycling. Berrec above is probably right, it's a cultural thing, they just don't care.

Marine park? Kho Chang  has just been hit with massive floods, And the washout from damaged and destroyed properties including possessions scooters fridges  Etc is now on some of the beaches it looks very much like this. !  Cleaning The beaches Has been planned over the next few days ! Repairing lost bridges and moving landslides from roads has mostly been completed I believe? 

1 minute ago, Rooster2411 said:

Marine park? Kho Chang  has just been hit with massive floods, And the washout from damaged and destroyed properties including possessions scooters fridges  Etc is now on some of the beaches it looks very much like this. !  Cleaning The beaches Has been planned over the next few days ! Repairing lost bridges and moving landslides from roads has mostly been completed I believe? 

It could be Koh Chang, i saw a picture of the beach, and it looked quite similar.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, wotsdermatter said:

Obviously no poster has been made aware that this is Thailand's new way to stop erosion which they want the world to adopt.  Remember. Thailand is at the cutting edge and the hub of everything.  Remember, if all of that material were to be removed, what would the tourists have to take phenomenal "selfies" with?

'nuf sed.

Plus the fact that erosion would set in.

12 hours ago, berrec said:

Go to any big shopping complex here, you are lucky to find 2 trash bins per floor,

Right ; and when you can find one it's full because nobody is paid to empty it .

It's the same in the streets of all thai towns ;

nearly impossible to find a municipal trash bin ;

When you enter some national or historical parks sometimes you can find one or more trash bins but they are always full with much trash at their feet .

Nobody for empty them.

7 minutes ago, Redline said:

Sick, but it no will to change attitudes

the country is a trash pit, and I see no PSAs to push anyone to change.  Why don’t government officials lead by example ????

Govt to breed new sea life varieties trained to eat only  plastic

Trash is everywhere in the world, not just Thailand.  When I lived in the country

on a farm, in B.C. Canada,  we had a burning barrel for paper trash. There was never a complaint from the little smoke that came from the barrel, as our nearest neighbour was 3,2 kms or 2 miles away.  Some people are too touchy about seeing someone else burning

the trash, when there may not be any pickup service in the area. Even in Jomtien Beach at

South Pattaya there was trash left for days, during Chinese New Year 2017, and I seen garbage in 2018 as well. I do agree that more effort should be made to have garbage

cleaned up everywhere in the world. Big fines for those caught littering and throwing garbage where it is not a recognized, legal dumping area.

Geezer

Archived