"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

webfact

57 minutes ago, WeekendRaider said:

fake environmentalists... and in the USA, the so-called "Climate Believers"... are the reason we did nothing on Climate Change until Donald Trump came to office.  plastic trash at the beach is something humans can see and smell.  Co2 cannot be seen or smelled at all, yet accounts for all of our food, even the "meatless meat" stuff, as well as all of life.  except maybe the thermophiles.  so it has been easy to pass off as [only about] some ice melting in 2100 something.  not an immediate crisis.  that's what the "Climate Believers" believed and told everyone.  and still do.  but now it has begun.  July 2015 the hottest month ever recorded, yet quite significantly at the same time, at no time in 2019 was it barely above neutral as an ENSO and there was no warm PDO either.  so if July 2019 was the hottest in a fairly neutral summer, what happens when we return to a ENSO?

the risks locally are grid failures during heat waves if the ENSO comes back, with or without the PDO on top of that.  on all the other scores, Thailand comes out pretty good.  and the government has been doing good with water projects, and hopefully they still go ahead with high speed trains (i.e. 14 grams of carbon per pass./km. versus 285 for airplane passengers).  much better than the USA where even food security, not just social chaos, may be a major problem because of 'just in time' inventory and that it is very logistics dependent.  here we have the motorscooter ladies and the morning fresh markets.  and bicycles.  and poultry and swine that we know how to breed as well as dress.  that's not the case in the USA.  not for most people.  USA meat production is remote, privately concentrated and involves technology and long transportation and selling networks to deliver food to folks to consume.  quite unlike Thailand.  and then there is the self-sufficiency and social life of rural Thai villages that are almost self-policing, which the 1995 Chicago heat wave showed us was very critical.  what kind of neighborhood you lived in, where there busy retail centers and a street life or did people live more isolated in individual living units.  the latter is dangerous.

but thanks to Trump, in the USA we are building a better border wall, to stop folks we will not have seen since the Nazi death camps that look too much like us and none of us would have the heart to stop... but a physical wall would.... who if they entered into the USA by the tends of millions down the road a little ways would only make problems much much worse, such as food security hit by heat and flooding....  and Trump's new US Space Force project for solar radiation management,  notwithstanding that Trump has not even confided in his 3rd or 4th wife for the "real" underlying reasons for these two Trump "signature projects", that is what they are for.  all prior US presidents have only signed agreements and shared their "feelings" with us.  that they "care about the planet" etc. etc.  Trump has taken action.  Trump has done a very good job from an environmental point of view.  worrying about beach trash and plastic is silly.     

are you drunk?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

That one is “landfill”.

So they can build more “luxury house”.

I agree it ugly, but have reason. 

The house in the photo probably the same.

The beach rubbish is disaster, killing fish, turtle etc. So sad.

Yinn I respect you but there is no "reason" or excuse for this. This is on the side of the road dumped into the water of a large pond. 

The Thai people who did this saw the pond. They know it was there and what they were doing. They just don't care. 

and you know and I know EVERYWHERE you go in Thailand you will see the same.

I hike in the mountains above Hua Hin and west to the border. Garbage everywhere you look.  

20190825_183443.jpg

1 hour ago, meechai said:

There is this really weird behavior among Thai people

We have seen it many times over the years regardless of what province it is in.

If one Thai dumps some trash at a roadside spot it is as if someone put up a blinking sign that said

"New Dump Site"

Because in the coming weeks/months that single dumping of trash attracts more & more folks to dump there

Don't know why but there is zero respect for the Land which is odd given their supposed beliefs & use of spirit houses etc.

i have seen this phenomenon in many countries over the years, USA And UK included, certainly all over asia as well.

it seems to be a herd mentailty response.

the difference is in the west an investigation would occur, and fines would be issued especially if the prson who dumped the trash left behind anything that may identify them.

3 hours ago, Myran said:

People should start to flood the net with pictures of their local, dirty beaches with the hashtag #AmazingThailand or something. Shaming is apparently the only thing that will get the government and communities in gear.

Not just beaches. I ride bikes on rural roads in Chiang Mai. It's really dismaying to see how people dump anywhere they think they can get away with it. I do mean dump, not just littering. There's no environmental sense, not to mention respect for others' private property. Really sad.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Not just beaches. I ride bikes on rural roads in Chiang Mai. It's really dismaying to see how people dump anywhere they think they can get away with it. I do mean dump, not just littering. There's no environmental sense, not to mention respect for others' private property. Really sad.

In UK it is so common they have an expression for it. Fly Tipping. So it is not just in Thailand.

The shame in all of this, is that this mess could be kept clean, for a relatively small amount of money. When I lived on Samui, I was always disappointed to see beautiful beaches with alot of trash and plastic. Yet, it is an island that generates billions, and the mayor has hundreds of millions of dollars, that he has enriched himself with. All it would take is a crew of five, with a foreman. They deal with one or two beaches a day, and work their way around the island. Every few weeks. And the island is nearly spotless. The cost? Perhaps a total of 100,000 baht a month. That is peanuts for Samui. It is all about greed, a serious lack of local pride, a lack of organization, and corruption. Without those four horrendous blights, Thailand would be spotless. 

Of course it helps to educate the people. There is so much hyperbole about how amazing Thailand is, and how wonderful our nation is. Well, if you really love your country so much, why would you not want to keep it free of garbage, plastic and debris? Why would you toss your garbage onto the beach, and out the window of your car? Why would you dump your garbage close to your home, and not dispose of it properly? 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The shame in all of this, is that this mess could be kept clean, for a relatively small amount of money. When I lived on Samui, I was always disappointed to see beautiful beaches with alot of trash and plastic. Yet, it is an island that generates billions, and the mayor has hundreds of millions of dollars, that he has enriched himself with. All it would take is a crew of five, with a foreman. They deal with one or two beaches a day, and work their way around the island. Every few weeks. And the island is nearly spotless. The cost? Perhaps a total of 100,000 baht a month. That is peanuts for Samui. It is all about greed, a serious lack of local pride, a lack of organization, and corruption. Without those four horrendous blights, Thailand would be spotless. 

Of course it helps to educate the people. There is so much hyperbole about how amazing Thailand is, and how wonderful our nation is. Well, if you really love your country so much, why would you not want to keep it free of garbage, plastic and debris? Why would you toss your garbage onto the beach, and out the window of your car? Why would you dump your garbage close to your home, and not dispose of it properly? 

Only tourists go to beaches. 

'Workers' in local offices never do.

If you never see it how can it exist?

Thailand has more generals than the entire U S military combined with marines, army, air force and navy, Yet not  one of these genius military planners have a clue about how to run a country. It will take generations to teach Thais how to live clean.

Obviously no poster has been made aware that this is Thailand's new way to stop erosion which they want the world to adopt.  Remember. Thailand is at the cutting edge and the hub of everything.  Remember, if all of that material were to be removed, what would the tourists have to take phenomenal "selfies" with?

'nuf sed.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Not only the beaches. The whole country looks like a dumpsite.

Drove through a small village on the way to the golf course that has a market every Tues. morning. Drove by it on the way back & the amount of plastic bags & trash was horrifying. My wife said all Thais do this. I then got an "ata boy" for picking up 2 plastic water bottles & a cookie wrapper while I was golfing.

2 hours ago, meechai said:

There is this really weird behavior among Thai people

We have seen it many times over the years regardless of what province it is in.

If one Thai dumps some trash at a roadside spot it is as if someone put up a blinking sign that said

"New Dump Site"

Because in the coming weeks/months that single dumping of trash attracts more & more folks to dump there

It's the same with street vendors and even shophouses, herd animals copying each other. A function of population density, the more heads per square meter the more it becomes like an ant's nest, no brain usage required.

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

All it would take is a crew of five, with a foreman.

It is like the old question, "How many Poles does it take to change a light bulb?"  In this case, you are right with a twist.  The foreman does the work and the work crew stand around in order to learn how not to do something correctly.

'nuf sed.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Over the years I have noticed more and more dumping of rubbish and various junk around the remoter places.  I cycled into the mountains near a dam where there used to be a lovely lake with buffalo grazing nearby and lush forest a few years back.  Well it had turned into a scene from an apocalyptic movie.... most of the trees were burnt, the lake was thick green soup, there were huge mountains of trash and rubbish piled everywhere and in the lake, in various stages of being burnt, and there were more piles of rusting fridges, an old car, and masses of plastic and plaster building materials in all directions.  I was disgusting and saddening how some people don't care at all about their environment or want to look after their own home and country.  

Believe me , this will only get worse ...

the good times are long gone , people show their real , ugly faces , not all are acting irresponsible against the environment , but most just do not care ... it is the 'me first ' mentality that will lead us to Dystopia .

4 hours ago, Myran said:

People should start to flood the net with pictures of their local, dirty beaches with the hashtag #AmazingThailand or something. Shaming is apparently the only thing that will get the government and communities in gear.

Sadly, it is not just the shameful state of some of the Beach,s and the Polluted Oceans.

I live just a few KM from the coast, and the Trash dumping and burning of Trash from what are obviously Commercial sources is a National disgrace.

The beach,s and Coastlines are the headlines, but a little further inland is as bad if not worse.

Archived