"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

webfact

6 hours ago, simtemple said:

In varying degrees, every beach in the World, is now littered with plastic waste. It is unfair to point the finger at the Thai. What about the scum who caused this disaster? 

Yes of course, because Thais keep their country and seashore clean. Come on open your eyes.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Myran said:

People should start to flood the net with pictures of their local, dirty beaches with the hashtag #AmazingThailand or something. Shaming is apparently the only thing that will get the government and communities in gear.

and all the posters of these pics will face defamation charges lol

16 hours ago, Yinn said:

That one is “landfill”.

So they can build more “luxury house”.

I agree it ugly, but have reason. 

The house in the photo probably the same.

There is land fill & there is foundation fill lot prepping

This is not all the type of fill you use to bring a lot up to level.

Even with compression later there will be compost/break down of some of those waste products in those photos

& your house lot will likely sink causing cracking of your cement foundation or cement skimmed walls.

I am amazed and the manner in which ordinary refuse is collected in Thailand, seems that there is a fortune to be made by utilising some western standards for collection and disposal of waste, not to mention the recycling opportunities.

This would not only assist to combat the rodent issue, but also health of the community and the environment.

I was picking up garbage from around my neighbourhood, but it became an unending task, people just throw out bags of household waste, due to poor collection options.

2 hours ago, meechai said:

There is land fill & there is foundation fill lot prepping

This is not all the type of fill you use to bring a lot up to level.

Even with compression later there will be compost/break down of some of those waste products in those photos

& your house lot will likely sink causing cracking of your cement foundation or cement skimmed walls.

I would not buy a house on that land. A pond with rubbish fill.

But a lot of people do. Up to them.

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

we have 3 bins to every house yellow for recycle, green for garden refuse, red for normal rubbish and yes building waste gets used for landfill and not dumped on the roadside

Australia should have this one also. For dangerous waste.

Australia make a lot of rubbish.

C0FE5DB9-3406-4167-9461-BB23397652C0.jpeg

F4D716ED-851C-4AD5-89C0-26D819538D16.jpeg

1E2F679E-5321-4C41-88FC-BA40A1123A63.jpeg

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Yinn I respect you but there is no "reason" or excuse for this. This is on the side of the road dumped into the water of a large pond. 

The Thai people who did this saw the pond. They know it was there and what they were doing. They just don't care. 

and you know and I know EVERYWHERE you go in Thailand you will see the same.

I hike in the mountains above Hua Hin and west to the border. Garbage everywhere you look.  

20190825_183443.jpg

I agree, To stay healthy every morning I walk 3/4 km in Hua Hin to breathe in fragrant air of garbage

20 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I would like to know is that beach really in Thailand if so where?

Chumpong last year after tempest is same this, all garbage on the roads and land around Chumpong go on the beach, natural cleaning land and dirty see,  a garbage island had  also formed on the see, Gov send soldiers for cleaning beach and sea after few days.

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

BUT if you' re going to these countries you'll never see garbage along the roads .

I am just back from the UK and I was shocked at the amount of rubbish in and on roadside verges. Mainly energy drinks, soda, beer, crisp containers so my assumption it was the younger generation throwing it out of car windows. Beach areas were pristine though.

It was quite shocking for me. 

20 hours ago, jeff270476 said:

How about if we create , us the expats here, a website as well as a fb page and publish pictures of trash sites here daily? and name the site amazing-trashiland.com ?? 

That would be easy for us to grab attention - even go viral on internet and tourisms publication which will force authority to take action.  No?

..could run a competition same as Post Your Photograph...the latter tries to avoid the rubbish...where "Flash your Trash" will show it as it really is...shaming seems to be the only way things work these days!

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Australia should have this one also. For dangerous waste.

Australia make a lot of rubbish.

C0FE5DB9-3406-4167-9461-BB23397652C0.jpeg

F4D716ED-851C-4AD5-89C0-26D819538D16.jpeg

1E2F679E-5321-4C41-88FC-BA40A1123A63.jpeg

The flaw with your rather specious argument, is that the chart you posted can be compiled since it's measured from waste that is collected, buried in a landfill, or recycled.

I don't think Thailand has a measurement for the amount of garbage that is dumped on the side of the road/beach/lake, basically anywhere.

For most farangs, we come from societies where dumping garbage, even just simple littering, throwing a paper cup on the road, is illegal, frowned upon, and results in a fine.

Thats what I think you just don't get, it's a fundamental mindset issue.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am amazed and the manner in which ordinary refuse is collected in Thailand, seems that there is a fortune to be made by utilising some western standards for collection and disposal of waste, not to mention the recycling opportunities.

This would not only assist to combat the rodent issue, but also health of the community and the environment.

I was picking up garbage from around my neighbourhood, but it became an unending task, people just throw out bags of household waste, due to poor collection options.

Where I live there is no collection so people burn their trash ????

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

For most farangs, we come from societies where dumping garbage, even just simple littering, throwing a paper cup on the road, is illegal, frowned upon, and results in a fine.

Thats what I think you just don't get, it's a fundamental mindset issue.

It seems to be near impossible for people that haven't lived in an environment where recycling is a basic service to understand it becomes like a reflex, everybody automatically starts doing their part. The failure in Thailand is nationwide poor quality of waste management, even education won't help when the facilities simply aren't there.

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It seems to be near impossible for people that haven't lived in an environment where recycling is a basic service to understand it becomes like a reflex, everybody automatically starts doing their part. The failure in Thailand is nationwide poor quality of waste management, even education won't help when the facilities simply aren't there.

Yeah, you're right about infrastructure. 

I think many of us don't even think about what goes into providing the services for your curbside pickup, then when you go to your local landfill to drop off all sorts of waste from sheetrock debris, garden waste to engine oil.

Of course in Thailand it's a bit of chicken and egg.

Do you provide the facilities to do it first and hope the minds will change, or do you change the minds first who then demand you provide the facilities?

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Do you provide the facilities to do it first and hope the minds will change, or do you change the minds first who then demand you provide the facilities?

I remember how they started in Finland back in the 80's. They introduced I think hazardous waste (batteries, oils, etc) first. Then added biodegradables, paper, glass later and started opening up those recycling centers for normal citizens. Basically they did it slowly step by step using the true and tested hide the salami tactics. It worked a treat and they were able to bring up the infra at the same time. Babysteps.

Archived