Farang "hero" helping to keep southern Thailand clean

webfact

Farang "hero" helping to keep southern Thailand clean

4pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Well done! The kind Farang man collecting trash at Koh Noo - Songkhla

Reporters from Hat Yai Focus in southern Thailand featured a westerner paddling a kayak and collecting trash in the area of Koh Noo in Songkhla. 

The pictures followed a Facebook post by a Thai in the middle of last month that slammed compatriots on the beach for tossing their leftover meal and packaging into the sea. The poster said that following this they had seen a farang man collecting trash in his boat. 

There was a bit of a language barrier but the poster tried to communicate his thanks. 

Hat Yai Focus found the same man at work at the weekend and called him a hero adding:

"If everyone in society were like him our home would be much cleaner". 

Source: Hat Yai Focus

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-17

Hero, or too much time on his hands, why bother, 1 individual isn't going to change 66 million people that don't give a rats a$$, this includes the government, because if they did give a rats, they would enforce laws, apply heavy fines, etc, etc, etc, but they are too busy filling their pockets while allowing the general population to break every single law there is daily, excluding the police who need their tea money during certain hours.

Thailand is what it is, and none of us are going to change her, i.e. unless the Thai's want that.

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hero, or too much time on his hands, why bother, 1 individual isn't going to change 66 million people that don't give a rats a$$, this includes the government, because if they did give a rats, they would enforce laws, apply heavy fines, etc, etc, etc, but they are too busy filling their pockets while allowing the general population to break every single law there is daily, excluding the police who need their tea money during certain hours.

Thailand is what it is, and none of us are going to change her, i.e. unless the Thai's want that.

To be honest, who did the better thing?

1. Westerner paddling a kayak and collecting trash in the area of Koh Noo in Songkhla. 

2. The lovely post you took all the trouble to do on TVF?

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The plastic come from all over the world. What are you doing to limit your plastic consumption? 

Nickname checkout. 

37 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

"The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet"  ~ Lao-tzu

We have to start somewhere.

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

The plastic come from all over the world. What are you doing to limit your plastic consumption? 

Nickname checkout. 

Since you asked, we have our own fold up (strong) shopping bags that we reuse time and time again, we do not burn our rubbish or any type of plastics, even though we do not have a garbage bin collection, we seperate everything, we have a compost garden, plastic containers from yogurts, cottage cheeses, berries, etc etc, get reused, you would be surprised what you can use them for, pen holders, holding elastic bands, a place to put your keys in etc etc, and all that we cannot reuse, gets recycled, i.e. mostly disposed of appropriately at DoHome when we are in the area as they have 4 different types of bins for recycling, even though people just use them as bins and mix the rubbish up with recycling stuff at times.

We have 4 kids and we teach them how things should be done, it all starts with education, where Thailand lacks a hell of a lot of it.

Sure the plastic comes from all over the world, yep, but how much of it is thrown on the ground here, do you have a %, i.e. Thailand Vs the rest of the world, yep, didn't think so.

As for the nickname check out, it was the number plate that was once on my 1974 Silver Shadow Rolls Royce, since you enquired, suffice to say, there is nothing wrong with having an ego, e.g. ????

26 minutes ago, ravip said:

To be honest, who did the better thing?

1. Westerner paddling a kayak and collecting trash in the area of Koh Noo in Songkhla. 

2. The lovely post you took all the trouble to do on TVF?

2. The lovely post you are referring too, makes a very valid point, i.e. it all starts at home, education, willingness, government campaigns, law enforcement, etc, etc, etc, one single farang cannot unite a country to "Do The Right Thing"

Last time I checked TVF allows members to voice their opinions, whether others like what they state or not.

Did you need to try to point out the obvious which you may have failed to see ?

7 hours ago, whitemouse said:

They are going to hate him.

None would have noticed it. Only the TVF members will bash him for a couple of weeks

4 hours ago, anterian said:

But it won't earn him Brownie points with immigration. 

I am sure the guy who did it was not expecting any cheap credits.

22 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I refuse plastic bags now if I am buying a limited amount of goods ... every little helps

2 minutes ago, rtco said:

I refuse plastic bags now if I am buying a limited amount of goods ... every little helps

I always bring my backpack and reusable bags for larger haul. It's always funny to see them amused or panicked when I refuse the plastic bags. 

I use to participate on beach clean -ups in Pattaya. After the locals would sit there and just laugh or get up and leave their litter on the beach not feeling a bit guilty I decided let them wallow around in litter and filth. I will no longer clean up THEIR beaches. Most farangs throw away their trash. It is a Thai problem. Sad the Thais are busy making “good merit” for their local temple with money donations. Why don’t the monks preach to them about making “good merit” by taking care of the environment???

46 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I always bring my backpack and reusable bags for larger haul. It's always funny to see them amused or panicked when I refuse the plastic bags. 

Panicked? Really?

What did thy do... run? hit the fire alarm?

On 9/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, Tayaout said:

Personally quite a bit.... I refuse plastic bags everywhere I can.
if I go shopping I take cloth bags to put my supplies in... much to the amusement of Thais who are smile at the farang doing such a thing.
If I'm going to buy street food I take containers to put the food into... asking plastic bags not to be used
If I want an iced drink I take a drinks container & ask them to use that instead of a plastic bag.

Just yesterday I went to my local Big C... the supermarket is on the 2nd floor.
as you go up the escalator customer services are straight ahead... you have to check-in any items you have before entering the store....
I had 3 empty cloth bags folded in my hand as I went to the entrance to the stores, security monitoring the alarm gates asked me to take them to customer services, I explained that I needed them at the check-in desk as I pay for my goods... they refused entrance to me.
I asked to see a manager to explain things... he said they needed to be checked in at the desk.
I asked to see his superior.. who came to see me.. I explained that the bags were obviously empty, I needed them with me at the check-in desk as I did not want to use plastic carry-out bags. He looked at me for a while then said the company policy was to leave items at the desk... 
I asked to speak to someone higher than him... as maybe the company policy was outdated with todays environmental issues.

He made a phone call, spoke with someone for a while then said Okay I could take the bags inside.

At the cashier desk on my way out the girl looked at me for a while as I gave her the bags... I said please use these to pack my goods into, not plastic bags. She said I was the only person she had ever seen using this method.
Hundreds if not thousands of people use that store every day.... yet they have no clear policy or alternative in place for reducing plastic bags !

Tayaout - " The plastic come from all over the world. What are you doing to limit your plastic consumption?"

Let me guess - Are you Thai by any chance ? A lesson for you - a vast majority of the worlds ocean pollution comes from South East Asia, mostly from the rivers. Thailand is in SE Asia - yes ? Therefore, it makes sense that a lot of the pollution in the local seas comes from Thailand or a nearby country. Granted, we all should be careful and do what we can where ever we live, but do not get so touchy thinking others are responsible. Thailand countryside is a mess, filthy and that is Thais. Just take ownership of a problem and not live in denial and the sooner we all can tackle this world wide problem. But if you do not believe that Thailand is filthy- then ask anyone living here to post some photos of any country side, I think that would embarrass you more than just agreeing with the post. 

On 9/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Since you asked, we have our own fold up (strong) shopping bags that we reuse time and time again, we do not burn our rubbish or any type of plastics, even though we do not have a garbage bin collection, we seperate everything, we have a compost garden, plastic containers from yogurts, cottage cheeses, berries, etc etc, get reused, you would be surprised what you can use them for, pen holders, holding elastic bands, a place to put your keys in etc etc, and all that we cannot reuse, gets recycled, i.e. mostly disposed of appropriately at DoHome when we are in the area as they have 4 different types of bins for recycling, even though people just use them as bins and mix the rubbish up with recycling stuff at times.

We have 4 kids and we teach them how things should be done, it all starts with education, where Thailand lacks a hell of a lot of it.

Sure the plastic comes from all over the world, yep, but how much of it is thrown on the ground here, do you have a %, i.e. Thailand Vs the rest of the world, yep, didn't think so.

As for the nickname check out, it was the number plate that was once on my 1974 Silver Shadow Rolls Royce, since you enquired, suffice to say, there is nothing wrong with having an ego, e.g. ????

Thank you ???? ???? I admire and salute you (and your clan) for doing what you can to care for yourselves and the world around you. None of us are polluting free this is a fact but like you do, not talk just talk but do :), we can make a difference by getting up off our bums and taking simple steps. Keep on doing what you're doing and encouraging others to join and appreciate the little things of life by such eco focus ???? ????  Life while difficult and painful is also a thing of great beauty and joy.

3 hours ago, generealty said:

Tayaout - " The plastic come from all over the world. What are you doing to limit your plastic consumption?"

Let me guess - Are you Thai by any chance ? A lesson for you - a vast majority of the worlds ocean pollution comes from South East Asia, mostly from the rivers. Thailand is in SE Asia - yes ? Therefore, it makes sense that a lot of the pollution in the local seas comes from Thailand or a nearby country. Granted, we all should be careful and do what we can where ever we live, but do not get so touchy thinking others are responsible. Thailand countryside is a mess, filthy and that is Thais. Just take ownership of a problem and not live in denial and the sooner we all can tackle this world wide problem. But if you do not believe that Thailand is filthy- then ask anyone living here to post some photos of any country side, I think that would embarrass you more than just agreeing with the post. 

I'm not Thai. I'm from Canada and we do export a lot of plastic waste to SEA. I'm also disgusted by the non-management of waste in the thai village I live in but it's a worldwide problem. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:08 AM, webfact said:

"If everyone in society were like him our home would be much cleaner".

If everybody would stop throwing their garbage – including plastic bags and plastic straw – the wrong places, i.e. put in a garbage bin, the World would be much cleaner...????

I remember when I was a kid growing up in the 80's in a small town with a population around 35,000 out in the country of the US we had people that just dumped their trash in public areas. They didn't dump it where you could easily see it, they tried to hide it a little. As a kid we used to go out and dig through the dumped trash and go through it finding penthouse and playboy magazines, all kinds of stuff. I even remember going out with my dad and uncle collecting beer bottles people tossed out and setting them up on the side of a hill and get the guns out to target practice and at my grandfathers house he burnt his trash because there was no trash pick up where he lived. Then there was a big campaign from the local government and schools to stop the dumping. It took about 5 years everything got cleaned up and littering became a big deal.

The point is even western countries had the same problem at some point. It will take the government, authorities and school system to educate the kids and adults about the problem. I'm hopping someone in the royal family to takes up the cause and use their influence to educate the people. Lets just hope Thailand will find their way to fix this problem soon.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thank you ???????? I admire and salute you (and your clan) for doing what you can to care for yourselves and the world around you. None of us are polluting free this is a fact but like you do, not talk just talk but do :), we can make a difference by getting up off our bums and taking simple steps. Keep on doing what you're doing and encouraging others to join and appreciate the little things of life by such eco focus ???? ????  Life while difficult and painful is also a thing of great beauty and joy.

Your welcome, the world is our home, whether it is here in Thailand or in Australia, it is being polluted daily by big corporations and they get away with it because $'s talk the talk, others litter.

This world while it is everyone's home, must be kept clean and free from pollution best it can, so that tomorrows generations have a place they can exist in, while I like to think positive, there is too much, I don't give a rats a$$ attitude about, sadly. ????

The guy picking up garbage is entitled to do what he wants in his belief of helping to clear garbage. He is to be commended for that and as most agree, it all starts with education and 'one small step' However, he is no 'hero'.

On the other hand, if you add together all the beaches in Thailand and regard them collectively just as sand - and then consider that this guy has picked up a thousand grains of sand - then that is possibly comparable to what he is doing right now.

Who is going to clear up all the other combined grains of sand?

Certainly nobody here on TV. They may separate garbage, they may stop using the odd plastic bags and do without a straw - but against the 77m others in this country - it ain't going to matter a fig's <deleted>.

The world is polluted and nobody cares. There is no coordinated agreement or plan or action between any governments in the world to tackle this problem. 

Plastic and garbage may even outnumber all the grains of sand in the world. It's been around for at least 60 years - its still here. 

We've run out of time.

Nobody is doing much. I'm drinking my morning coffee, idly looking around me at the plastic stuff around my rented accommodation. Scary really.

I hope I have succeeded in cheering everyone up by reading my wandering thoughts on doom and gloom. I'm now off to work. 

Have a great day!

Just leave the sand on the beach. We all do that!

Archived