Motorcycle taxi rider killed when tour bus door "opened all by itself"

webfact

Motorcycle taxi rider killed when tour bus door "opened all by itself"

7pm.jpg

Thai Thai caption : Door of doom

Phrakhanong police in Bangkok went to the scene of an accident in Sri Nakharin Soi 40 opposite Seacon Square where a motorcycle taxi rider died. 

Witnesses said that as the victim and a tour bus were passing each other a door to the luggage compartment opened all by itself. 

Sawat, aged about 60, died at the scene after suffering a severe neck injury and subsequent blood loss. 

The bus is privately owned and police are having the door mechanism examined and investigating possible negligence. 

There were no passengers on the bus at the time. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-17

WOW - that's hideous.. 

At every level, every facet, every angle of life here there is something which could kill, injure or maim you, especially on the roads, usually though carelessness, a lack of inspection and enforcement of basic standard things slip through the 'gaps' but the gaps are more like canyons !

With that said, this incident takes the biscuit - a freak accident or did someone ignore a faulty latch. Poor motorcyclist stood no chance, it could have been any of us. 

And don't think you are safe in a car - ever seen the Gas Bottles(without a safety collar) transported in the back of pickup or on a motorcycle - one fall and wham - missile coming through the side of your car door !!!

Some people complain about the 'Nanny-state' but Freak accidents are more common here in Thailand than many of our home countries because a certain degree of 'nannying' is required to keep us safe. 

RIP motorcyclist - totally blameless in this one.

4 minutes ago, tifino said:
9 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Once they find out who is responsible, heads will roll.  

above and beyond the first one... 

Geez... picturing the massive 'alloy' papercut that thing would give!!

The motorcyclists would have had to be wearing a medieval suit of armor to escape injury in this one. 

Even fully motorcycling body armor would do little to help in this case. 

A gruesome sight, I imagine. 

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Probably get a few sickos down there looking for possible lottery numbers.

Somebody within the company MUST take responsibility for this causing the man's death,

Yes, I am also disappointed that Sanook didn't publish more pictures that showed either the bus or motorbike plates. I missed out on the lottery yesterday so need to take responsibility and get some better lucky numbers.

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

So you're saying they went in opposite directions?

I think so as the news story states they were passing each other.

Not having a go at you but some of the streets in Thailand are fairly narrow. Could be the case.

That is just my take on the situation. I will not say more on the artical as I have had a warning and a 1 point penilty for talking down the News content on TV.

Sorry mate, just being pedantic.

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Probably get a few sickos down there looking for possible lottery numbers.

Somebody within the company MUST take responsibility for this causing the man's death,

It opened on its own due to either not being secured properly or lack of maintenance,  this comment is written in good faith from a person who had 25 years experience of road transport vehicles, these luggage lockers DO NOT open on there own

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Probably not, but they also are  on the left side of the bus.

I now see where you were getting all twisted up earlier on in the thread in assuming the luggage bays opened on the left side (near side / passenger side) only. 

They can usually be opened on both sides.  

In this case the oncoming (passing) motorcyclists was nearly decapitated, at it been on the left side we may have been reading news of tourist who was waiting to cross the road and was 'gutted' by a passing tourbus. 

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

What does this mean?

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Probably means that they were passing each other.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

So you're saying they went in opposite directions?

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Probably not, but they also are  on the left side of the bus.

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Or undertaking.. remember where you are !

Archived