Part time volunteer teaching program

Gruntled

I have a very dim recollection of a part time/volunteer teaching assistant program that was proposed or implimented quite awhile ago. It was intended to provide an opportunity for retired foreigners without proper teaching qualifications to teach part time in rural schools that otherwise could not afford to have a native speaker at the school. I think it was limited to a maximum of 20 hours of work/week and had a minimal stipend of <20k baht/month and it was eligible for work permits.

Does anyone else remember this program or am I just making it up in my head?

If it does or did exist please let me know if you have any further information regarding it.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I would welcome a scheme like this. I spent a few years teaching in China many years ago, and more recently volunteering in a Cambodian NGO school. I enjoyed both immensely and was so disappointed when I moved here to find it so restrictive for potential voluteering.

I live in a village where the main school has about 800 students, and the English (and English teaching) is very basic. I would love to spend a few hours there a week voluteering. It would make my week so much more interesting and rewarding. Not much chance of that though, but if they had such a scheme once, maybe it will re-appear one day.

Archived