Ubon Office - Refusal 65,000/Baht/Month - Annual Extension

Below is the text of an email from a person in Ubon Ratchathani that has been refused his annual extension based on the 65,000/baht/month income.

It would appear that offices are making their own policy.

Inconsistent decisions make it very difficult for any person to know what the correct procedure is.

"Jeff
Went to immigration today and was refused a retirement visa extension based on monthly direct deposits. The new big boss took a quick look at my papers and when there was no bank book with 800,000b she returned my papers with not approved. It took about 10 seconds. She told two of the women to talk with me and refused my request to speak with her. I showed the one year bank statement and my proof of pension including my SSA statement and they could not say anything other than not approved by boss. They were clearly embarrassed. I had gone in a week ago and talked with the guy who always reviewed the financial papers and he said make sure you have a one year bank statement and proof of pension. None of that was even looked at. 
The ladies up front said go put 400,000b in the bank and come back with your wife and marriage papers and she would give me a 60 day visa then a one year marriage visa at the end if that. I did that and went back in at 4pm. The boss was gone and they were a little more open about the situation. It seems the new big boss wants money in the bank. We asked about the monthly direct deposit and all they could say was cannot. The money guy just shook his head when he looked at me. As we were leaving one of the ladies followed us outside and said they were very sorry and would make sure a got a visa when we come back on Friday. We asked what happened to the monthly direct deposit of more than 65,000b and she just said she did not know.
Not sure if this a new policy, a new policy at this office or just a bad day by the new boss. There was another American in there doing the same thing as us. 
I will do the 60 day Friday and then decide whether to do the full 800,000b and be done with it. "
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Seafarer124 I hope you asked permission to post the guy's email on here.

Two things that stood out from the original post: This guy tried to present a SSA statement (American?) and he didn't have his wife (interpreter) with him. So we really don't know what was said and what the "real" reason is for the refusal.  

Ask the guy if he'd like to come on here and provide more clarity as to what was not accepted

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Really don't know why people continue to bother with this method it's a constant fail.

Oh yeah, they don't have the money.

Since a number of posters have indicated success with the income method, it is not a "constant fail". However, it does appear that many immigration offices are flat out refusing the combination method, and some the income method. If I were refused, I would specifically hire an agent that could accomplish a run-around of the arrogant uncooperative IO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Since a number of posters have indicated success with the income method, it is not a "constant fail". However, it does appear that many immigration offices are flat out refusing the combination method, and some the income method. If I were refused, I would specifically hire an agent that could accomplish a run-around of the arrogant uncooperative IO.

*a number*

Too funny, the guy shows up to some provincial immigration stop and shop with no bank book and a pile of paper which are no doubt Internet printouts. He wants a year's stay.

It's no arrogance they just don't want to sift through a pile of complicated paperwork and neither would I. Just like the ballsy lies based on dubious affidavit most of this paperwork is not correct. I'm not stating this is the case of OP.

I disagree. In fact, I think the record of achieving this puts it in the realm of waste of time. Further, it's only for chancers. Won't be long before they simply insist that every have money in the bank.

Hire an agent because that worked so well in the past. Only a matter of time before that loophole closes. You obviously don't have the 800k. Now please tell me how you don't trust the banks here. Hire an agent because putting money in bank too easy.

Just chancers now. Everyone else knows better. Good luck with the fixer.

For the OP 400k will do it. The paperwork is not much. No idea if they do house visits and similar drama but the paperwork can be assembled in an afternoon.

Edited by Number 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Really don't know why people continue to bother with this method it's a constant fail.

Oh yeah, they don't have the money.

Mine was a complete success, despite the IO having to trawl through almost the 40 pages of income detail that replaced the single embassy letter. (I'm working on trimming that for next year!)

So no, it is not a constant failure at all and I'm certainly not the only one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Mine was a complete success, despite the IO having to trawl through almost the 40 pages of income detail that replaced the single embassy letter. (I'm working on trimming that for next year!)

So no, it is not a constant failure at all and I'm certainly not the only one.

For most countries,Rules: Retirement 800k or 65k p/m. Must have bank letter and show bank book with 800k in the bank for 3 months or show 12 months of 65k or more deposits from a foreign source.

This is the only way to keep in step with Thailand's different IO interpretation of the new requirements.

IMOP  it must be a terrible burden on one's mind to have that 65k watermark be met every month especially with the exchange rate being so unpredictable 

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

These smaller rural offices are all little fiefdoms!

My successful application using the post embassy letter income method was carried out in a small rural office.

Far from being a 'little fiefdom', they are very friendly and obliging.

Please don't post such ridiculous generalisations. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My successful application using the post embassy letter income method was carried out in a small rural office.

Far from being a 'little fiefdom', they are very friendly and obliging.

Please don't post such ridiculous generalisations. 

I shall post as I feel.  Please do not presume to tell me what to do. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Now please tell me how you don't trust the banks here.

Every reason IMHO not to trust the banks here with keeping 800k/400k safely stashed away for 5/7 months respectively each year in the light of these 2 fraud cases:-

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1064638-bangkok-bank-to-return-bt175-million-its-ex-employee-stole-from-customers

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118885-heiress-files-police-report-after-900k-goes-missing-from-a-bank-account/

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Too funny, the guy shows up to some provincial immigration stop and shop with no bank book and a pile of paper which are no doubt Internet printouts. He wants a year's stay.

The OP stated "I showed the one year bank statement and my proof of pension including my SSA statement and they could not say anything other than not approved by boss.". So, it is not entirely clear if the "bank statement" was from a Thai bank, but if it was, then this was precisely the documentation required.

Hire an agent because that worked so well in the past. Only a matter of time before that loophole closes. You obviously don't have the 800k. Now please tell me how you don't trust the banks here. Hire an agent because putting money in bank too easy.

Well, not that it is anyone's business, but I have more than 800k THB in a Thai bank, and have had for many years. So, clearly, I trust the banks here.

And when I mentioned hiring an agent, it had nothing to do with circumventing procedure or requirements. I use an agent because my extension, based on a work permit, is much too complicated for me to do on my own. It requires almost 60 pages of documents. It would take forever for me to compile the application. I suggested the agent simply to get around the problem of dealing with a problematic IO. Suggesting that everyone who employs an agent is a cheater is ludicrous.

Just chancers now. Everyone else knows better. Good luck with the fixer.

Again, agents are not always necessarily "fixers". So, no luck is needed.

For the OP 400k will do it. The paperwork is not much. No idea if they do house visits and similar drama but the paperwork can be assembled in an afternoon.

It is well known that IO's prefer dealing with retirement applications over marriage applications. So, this may be the better solution for the OP if he cannot get his immigration office to accept the income method, but in general it is not the preferred solution on many levels.

• Like 2

Lets look at it another way.

This is the same office that UJ submits his marriage extension using the monthly income.

I believe he recently renewed his extension.

Marriage extensions and the proof of income have to be approved at regional level as well.

So I ask myself why UJ has no issues with his proof of income and why the OP's friend did.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently it is a case of a new officer being present at the office when he applied.

A friend has informed me he was at the office here in city last week for his 90 day report and there were none of the normal officers present. I am thinking that there might of been some temporary officers there due to the flooding.

Went there yesterday to get my one year extension stamp and it was the normal staff that are at the office. In and out in 15 minutes.

Joe I was there last week to do my 90 day report, took me less than 5min. All the staff present I had not seen before.

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Whereas the larger urban offices are all big fiefdoms, of course!

I have just heard some more extreme interpretations and requirements coming out of these places. Here we have someone absolutely refusing income as support for a retirement extension, and Samui asks for medical certificates I believe. 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have just heard some more extreme interpretations and requirements coming out of these places. Here we have someone absolutely refusing income as support for a retirement extension, and Samui asks for medical certificates I believe. 

Plus Jomtien's requirement for those using the 800k in the bank method to return after 3 months with their passbooks to check that balances have not dipped below 800k in the meantime.

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Plus Jomtien's requirement for those using the 800k in the bank method to return after 3 months with their passbooks to check that balances have not dipped below 800k in the meantime.

Although the verification is not stated in any order, the requirement is! Slightly different. 

5 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

When I've been in the Immigration Office, I've seen refusals and people getting angry, but they were not meeting the requirements and/or had screwed up their paperwork. I actually felt sorry for the IO who had to deal with it.  Often the story told leaves out important facts. I can't judge this case and don't want to but there could be a reason that isn't stated.

Yes, but again that is different, there are written requirements to meet. It is more difficult when an IO creates their own, or refuses to accept those specified. 

• Like 1