Compulsory insurance shelved: Ministry don't t want to spook tourists at sensitive time

webfact

Compulsory insurance shelved: Ministry don't t want to spook tourists at sensitive time

10pm.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Biz News

A representative of the Thai Ministry for Tourism and Sports has told the Thai media that plans to make visitors to Thailand take out insurance have been put on the back burner. 

Chote Trachu told Bangkok Biz News that ministerial proposals made in May of this year would have to wait until 2020 or at a "more appropriate time in the future". 

He said that Thailand tourism was facing a difficult time at present what with the sluggish world economy, the high value of the baht and the low value of the Yuan. 

He said that it was better to wait and that changing things now could cause more trouble than it was worth. 

He said that requiring tourists to have insurance was a "sensitive" matter that could "scare" tourists off at this time. 

It was clear with Thailand on track to record visitors in excess of 40 million annually this was not a good time to be bringing in new regulations, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-17

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow i'm sue that there are number of people that these news are great disappointment for them, the same people who were looking forward to hit the big times with this harebrained idea, i wish the TM30 will follow suite quickly...

it might be a better idea to at least make some sort of effort to improve safety, you've only had 30+ years of tourist income to invest - what did you do with it ? -nothing except stuff it in your greedy pockets as fast as possible, now it's imploding for the 2nd time

how many bus accidents will we have this week ? - seems like an average of 2x "reported"

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Ministry don't t want to spook tourists

Spooking and confusing tourists (and expats) is a national sport enjoyed by government ministers, immigration officials and a whole range of incompetent functionaries.

I'm 50/50 on this.

I have insurance for here ( accident ) but even if we travel to other countries we always buy some kind of insurance.

I really don't understand those that come here from UK USA for example, on holiday who don't buy any insurance in any way.

Or buy it and don't read it re' falling off a rented bike etc when they don't even have a bike licence at home. Been a few stories on that on TV.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Scare tourist off at this sensitive time.:cheesy:????????

Bit late for that innit.

shut that door...don,t let the horse get out.....oops too late......hang some carrots nearby,maybe it will come back :wai:

31 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

He said that Thailand tourism was facing a difficult time at present

I thought they released last week saying that the August figures were up ????

All figures for everything are always up in Thailand; even including the road toll and the baht.

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I'm 50/50 on this.

I have insurance for here ( accident ) but even if we travel to other countries we always buy some kind of insurance.

I really don't understand those that come here from UK USA for example, on holiday who don't buy any insurance in any way.

Or buy it and don't read it re' falling off a rented bike etc when they don't even have a bike licence at home. Been a few stories on that on TV.

IMOP I oppose being "forced" or have laws that mandate a level of coverage. Most Americans who travel here have credit cards that cover accidental coverage.

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-credit-cards-for-travel-accident-insurance/

23 minutes ago, riclag said:

Most Americans who travel here have credit cards that cover accidental coverage.

Depends on what you mean by "accidental coverage."

I think the accident coverage that most U.S. credit cards have is limited to death or injury that occurs while being transported by a "common carrier" like airline, train, boat, etc. and then only when the tickets were purchased with that credit card. And then, often only limited to payments specifically for death or loss of limbs, eyes, etc.

However, those same credit cards typically would NOT cover the kinds of general hospital medical expenses that probably most often occur with tourist injuries here -- riding on rented motorcycles, or various kinds of other activities that don't involve travel on ticketed "common carriers."

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So is this article talking about the proposed insurance requirement for regular tourists, or the separate proposal to require health insurance for O-A visa applicants, or both?

I just knew it. always someone isn't there?

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Somehow i'm sue that there are number of people that these news are great disappointment for them, the same people who were looking forward to hit the big times with this harebrained idea, i wish the TM30 will follow suite quickly...

Why harebrained? This is probably one of the most sensible ideas that the government have come up with.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So is this article talking about the proposed insurance requirement for regular tourists, or the separate proposal to require health insurance for O-A visa applicants, or both?

As it's about tourism I'm assuming it's the 100 baht surcharge on arrival.

32 minutes ago, riclag said:

IMOP I oppose being "forced" or have laws that mandate a level of coverage. Most Americans who travel here have credit cards that cover accidental coverage.

Scanned through that link and most seem to cover only 'carrier and related carrier. That seems to be while travelling to or from destination but not while you are actually spending time at your chosen destination.

I can also imagine you could spend longer than your planned holiday reading the fine print on exclusions

( excuses ) and conditions.

56 minutes ago, riclag said:

I am not American and don't have a credit card but I always take out travel insurance

31 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Depends on what you mean by "accidental coverage."

I think the accident coverage that most U.S. credit cards have is limited to death or injury that occurs while being transported by a "common carrier" like airline, train, boat, etc. and then only when the tickets were purchased with that credit card. And then, often only limited to payments specifically for death or loss of limbs, eyes, etc.

However, those same credit cards typically would NOT cover the kinds of general hospital medical expenses that probably most often occur with tourist injuries here -- riding on rented motorcycles, or various kinds of other activities that don't involve travel on ticketed "common carriers."

^ Never realised this...

Ive often been told by tourists that theyre covered for FREE by their cards.

Met a guy this week who was severely food poisoned and hospitalised barely conscious  at an outrageous fee of 80,000 baht a day ( guess what Capital the hospital is named after )  and he is having a hell of a time getting the card companies insurance to respond , let alone pay. 

So check those details folks !

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

The idea was excellent, not surprisingly because they prolly copied it from my thaivisa post half a year ago, they just did it in the most stupid way possible ????

Just add 20 baht as a surcharge to every airline ticket and collect the money from the airlines, no one would bat an eye, nor do people care about fifty cents, they wouldn't even noticed.

Of course that doesn't work because they want cash payments at the airport, cash they can stuff themselves.

Archived