Compulsory insurance shelved: Ministry don't t want to spook tourists at sensitive time

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I'm 50/50 on this.

I have insurance for here ( accident ) but even if we travel to other countries we always buy some kind of insurance.

I really don't understand those that come here from UK USA for example, on holiday who don't buy any insurance in any way.

Or buy it and don't read it re' falling off a rented bike etc when they don't even have a bike licence at home. Been a few stories on that on TV.

Same as me. However Bupa stopped selling the accident insurance after Aetna bought them so newbies can't get it, apparently too good a deal. I'm happy I'm still grandfathered, 100k cover for 3.7k/y, enough to cover the time I might not be able to get to the ATM or flash my debit card. Otherwise I just pay cash, funny how Bangkok hospital skips the useless tests when they see you're not insured.  The compulsory insurance would've been utterly useless.

its amazing  how  quick they  can  change the  rules  to  suit  when it  has  become  evident  the thai tourist  industry is  now  being  hit  where it  hurts  from  the  decrease in  chinese tourists. Thay  had  been  pandering to  the  chinese  whilst increasingly making  thin gs  harder  for  other  expats,  especially  when it comes  to  new  rules  and regulations on  visas. maybe  they still might wake  up  that  the  expat  on extended  visas in general  already put  a large amount of money  all  up into  the thai economy  . but  that wasnt  enough they are  now  having  to depositlarge  amounts of  cash into  thai  banks  and have half  it sit there for  not  being  able  to access it. and  that amount of THB400000  is not  small  change to  many  people  throughout  the  world. now  lets  wait  and  see  what happens to  Thai  economy  relying on tourists  dollars  when  the ever  closing downturn in  world economies  really starts  to hit

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

^ Never realised this...

Ive often been told by tourists that theyre covered for FREE by their cards.

Met a guy this week who was severely food poisoned and hospitalised barely conscious  at an outrageous fee of 80,000 baht a day ( guess what Capital the hospital is named after )  and he is having a hell of a time getting the card companies insurance to respond , let alone pay. 

So check those details folks !

Beat me why that damn chain of hospitals named after a Capital don't get investigated for fraud by foreign insurance companies. Padding up foreigner's bills with absurdly high fees is just out and out fraud, and the time is long overdue for the bast*rds get called out.

5 minutes ago, mike787 said:

What about the mandatory 90 day reporting and 800/400K for the visa money laundering BS...hows that working out?????

Both have been in place for quite awhile. 

Some people have had a hard time complying with the 65K/40K income, although those amounts haven't changed recently either, just the process to prove them which was mainly a consequence of changes at a few embassies.  Not sure how they compare to the insurance proposal or how money laundering figures in.

as I keep reminding everybody people over 75 are dead and not need insurance just ask the insurance companies To bring them back to life the countries that want them to have insurance will have to start their own insurance to cover, unless they can force the insurance companies to bring over 75s back to life at a low price

Worldwide there are getting to be a tremendous number of tourist. Most are naive about health care. They travel to countries where their insurance does not work...especially to the USA.

I believe there should be mandatory insurance for all travelers. It must be reasonable and maybe collected by the airlines.

Of course, the problem is abuse especially from USA since their health care is unGodly expensive.

Take a nice vacation. Smile for the camera. Never even consider health care vulnerability. Then bang…bankrupt or held in the hospital until the bill is paid. Wrong!!!

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'm 50/50 on this.

I have insurance for here ( accident ) but even if we travel to other countries we always buy some kind of insurance.

I really don't understand those that come here from UK USA for example, on holiday who don't buy any insurance in any way.

Or buy it and don't read it re' falling off a rented bike etc when they don't even have a bike licence at home. Been a few stories on that on TV.

In the UK I use the free government hospital, here I pay a little bit at the government hospital.

No need for insurance.

4 hours ago, monkfish said:

So they recognised it's a bad idea that's good but their reasoning for shelving it isn't so good.
But will they reintroduce it once tourism picks up again?

I live in the present. The future will come when it's ready.

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Spooking and confusing tourists (and expats) is a national sport enjoyed by government ministers, immigration officials and a whole range of incompetent functionaries.

Under the auspices of The Ministry of Disinformation and Contradictory Statements.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'm 50/50 on this.

Met a backpacking girlie on a rental scooter last week in a checkpoint in Chiang Mai.
She was amused about the low fine of 1000b for a missing motorbike license.
She:"Now I can ride around for 3 days without any problems"
I: Where did you get your informations from?
She: "Backpacker forum"
I: No insurance will cover you.
She: "I don't care, I know how to ride."
That's how it works now...
Wonder if she cares about ANY insurance. (No, she wasn't Chinese)

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Scare tourist off at this sensitive time.:cheesy:????????

Bit late for that innit.

Bit late for sure, many retirees have left and gone to pastures green, if you think i am talking clap trap walk around Khonkaen in the day and see all the empty or closed down bars, and its only marginally better dark time.

Archived