Chiang Mai Immigration - stressless.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Yes. I only do a TM30 when arriving at my condo from Australia, and fail to understand the sound and fury over it. The receipt of notification was in my old passport, and was stapled into the new one.

My understanding from reading on TV is that Chiang Mai immigration mandates a TM30 be submitted if you have traveled out of your home province or simply been away from your registered home address for more than 24-hours. This appears to a source of 'sound and fury' for those that do travel a bit more domestically, go visit friends, don't stay in hotels, etc..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. As my Thai GF uses her ID any time we book into a hotel, it's not an issue to me.

I had this discussion with a friend who does the same when traveling locally. I have also stayed in local Thai hotels where my wife made the booking and they've never asked for my passport or her ID card. I haven't stayed in a Bangkok or other big city hotel where my wife held the reservation so can't comment if they are as lax as they can be in the provinces.  Either way, the letter of the law requires that the hotel registers the foreigners stay, regardless of who's name is on the room reservation. A foreigner not registering is a loophole that immigration doesn't seem to be too bothered about. On the face of it, if you leave your house, go stay at a hotel and don't register there and then go back home, then immigration doesn't know you've been away.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:03 PM, NanLaew said:

My understanding from reading on TV is that Chiang Mai immigration mandates a TM30 be submitted if you have traveled out of your home province or simply been away from your registered home address for more than 24-hours. This appears to a source of 'sound and fury' for those that do travel a bit more domestically, go visit friends, don't stay in hotels, etc..

Home province I understand. But I have a farm that is 3 hours away in the mountains in the CNX province, if I stay overnight as there is about 7 hours driving return they want a TM 30 ??? Tell them they're dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legend49 said:

Home province I understand. But I have a farm that is 3 hours away in the mountains in the CNX province, if I stay overnight as there is about 7 hours driving return they want a TM 30 ??? Tell them they're dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get real. If nobody reports you as being 'on the farm'.... nobody is the wiser.

I agree, CM immigration is very efficient and foreigner friendly now. They also told me no TM30 unless you return from overseas." I heard the adjacent IO tell this to another Farang at the same time and they had a sign displaying the same message.

Stop spreading negative BS.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:13 PM, Lacessit said:

You may be right. As my Thai GF uses her ID any time we book into a hotel, it's not an issue to me.

That is my new modus operandi in the future. I agree with reporting my address when re-entering the Kingdom, if I change my permanent address and in my 90-Day Report. To report after a trip within the Kingdom is unwarranted and serve a only the purpose of making me feel as if I am a criminal suspect needing to be under constant surveillance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Reading in TV ? Have you been there?
You are not only wrong - and I wish people would stop spreading false information and hearsay!
Having read something on TV from people who have read something somewhere else !

Chiang Mai immigration specifically advises people at the TM30 desk to report for an update only when their address changes and when returning from abroad! Period!

And don’t try to tell me any different because I have just updated my TM30 2 weeks ago and a friend of mine 4 days ago who received the same information / advice from the IO in charge! So here you have first hand information and not something someone wrote or read somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Jai yen, yen. What you or I personally experience does not speak for all fact, as anyone living in Thailand knows. I have and continue to advise newcomers to Chiang Mai that what you are told on any one day, by any one immigration official does not necessarily hold true the next day or indeed, if speaking to another officer.

23 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Reading in TV ? Have you been there?
You are not only wrong - and I wish people would stop spreading false information and hearsay!
Having read something on TV from people who have read something somewhere else !

Chiang Mai immigration specifically advises people at the TM30 desk to report for an update only when their address changes and when returning from abroad! Period!

And don’t try to tell me any different because I have just updated my TM30 2 weeks ago and a friend of mine 4 days ago who received the same information / advice from the IO in charge! So here you have first hand information and not something someone wrote or read somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Chon Buri is identical. Only required if travelling abroad or changing address. It takes 10mins after the initial notification anyway and as you do, I fail to see the issue. 

Most are complaining with no idea what they’re talking about 

Edited by MadMuhammad

My friend told me to not trust their que app because the day they were there the que app was off by 15 numbers and 3 hours, meaning that the app said their number was up for service 3 hours before it was actually their time to be served.

Edited by zeekgarcia