Education options for M1 village girl with 0 English

engrin

Trying to plan the schooling future of a 13 year old Thai girl. She is my wife's niece and we have family permission. The niece grew up in a small village, went to village school, was one of the brighter ones. She's in her M1 year of high school and we (my wife and I) would like to give her a better education moving forward. Due to work/travel we cannot be in Thailand for the entire school year.

So, assuming budget is not an issue. What should we do with her? She doesn't speak/listen/read/write English. Yes, she did learn English all those years but doesn't know the letter sounds or the difference between hair and head. That being said, she's good at math and does well in Thai subjects.

I guess an international school is out of the question since she is already 13 and has no English ability? Or, would she be able to go to an international school? Do they have Thai programs? Would they let her in to an English program? We would like her to get as much English as possible!!

Would it be a good idea to send her to a "good Thai boarding school" if she can't get into an International School? If there is one, can anyone point us to which ones are recommended?

Looking forward to input from those with experience or knowledge!

I had similar problem and found a middle-of-the-road international school (not a strict kind) for an 11 year old. They told me they were used to zero English students and had special programs. If you live in Chiang Mai I can share that by PM if not good luck. 

• 1 month later...

Which province does she reside? How are her math skills? If you were to go the private route what tuition and fees are you willing to scrape together? Finally, is she smart and disciplined?

It appears she's already in M1 so that opportunity missed. She'll need to prep up and shoot for the best she can insofar as entrance to HS M4.

At this point, I would find the best Thai school that will accept her (or keep her in her current school), and focus on her Thai studies - get her some extra classes in her Thai subjects and also English. She should focus on getting into a  good Thai school in M4. I don't think putting her in an International school will benefit her and she won't be able to learn content (maths, science, etc) well because of her lack on English. My son is in my EP, but he has learned formally in English since Grade 3; he is more comfortable learning in English than thought Thai. 

Archived