DLT inspects public transport every 90km

webfact

DLT inspects public transport every 90km

fc0fbedb6202ee3e67dac7e5b549625f_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 September 2019 (NNT) - Mr Pheeraphol Thawornsuphacharoen, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport (DLT), disclosed today that from now on, the DLT will be conducting safety inspections of all forms of public transport to ensure that the drivers and vehicles meet the required safety standard, at a checking point every 90 kilometers across the country.

The DLT is cooperating with the Highways Police Division and Transport Company Limited in the inspection of public transport around the clock every day. Public transport operators who try to skip the safety checks are punishable under the Land Transport Act B.E. 2522 Section 31 (10) or Section 32 (6), as the case may be.

Inspections will check the vehicles’ condition, and its documentation, as well as signs of alcohol or drug use in the drivers.

Public transport inspection measures at the check points will encourage public transport operators to supervise the safety of vehicles and fittings, as well as the operations of the drivers on duty to prevent the number of deaths and injuries at present resulting from public transport accidents.

nnt.jpg

Will the safety aspect of the bus deteriorate greatly after 90km? As NCC says, too difficult to inspect the bus at it's own depot.

Or to stop & inspect the vehicle at check-point A, who then phone checkpoint B to tell them that such a reg. no. bus is safe.

Unless of course, the driver is on the lash or smoke during those 90km.

Add that to the border/drug/passport checks, then you can add another hour to your journey. 

I was in a bus which was stopped 5 times within Golden Triangle to Payao, that's about 200 Km. Usually it's 2 checks.

When they had that bright idea with their GPS control, aka 80KM/h max speed. The usual arrival time moved from ~7:00-7:30 to ~10:00-11:00.

Until now, the VIP bus seems not to be affected with that speed limit, don't know why that is? Only 20 passengers, no double decker, or just light enough that it doesn't climb a hill with 20 KM/h.

BTW, 3 weeks ago I bought a flight ticket for the Missus and her mother 200 bath cheaper than the bus ticket, but I like the fact that the bus drops me literally in front of my door.

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Another road safety initiative implemented....will it fall by the wayside same as compulsory helmet wearing while using a motorcycle has..... :whistling:

Why do you <deleted> care about if someone doesn’t use seatbelt or helmet ? That’s not your problem, drunk drivers, reckless drivers, running on red light, illegal u-turn, driving the wrong direction and the list is long, that’s were the problem is, if you want the government babysit you because you can’t take care of yourself, go back to your home country and give up your freedom... 

17 minutes ago, Totoandlilly said:

Why do you <deleted> care about if someone doesn’t use seatbelt or helmet ? That’s not your problem, drunk drivers, reckless drivers, running on red light, illegal u-turn, driving the wrong direction and the list is long, that’s were the problem is, if you want the government babysit you because you can’t take care of yourself, go back to your home country and give up your freedom... 

It's called having humanity and not I'm OK Jack so @#&% you. I hope you have a dash cam, good lawyer or really good insurance (Thai or Farang that applies). Being in the right means little in Thailand. Example: old guy blind drunk no helmet, no insurance drives into the back of a parked truck. Demanded 40,000baht from the truck driver/company or the drunk driver (snake eyed drunk) who reversed into the side of my SUV. I called the police they came and did nothing. I pray Thailand finds a way to stop the devastation but miricles very rarely occur. So a miricle is needed and then a couple of generations for the miricle to sink in. 

Juvenile idiocy again. 

There is no accountability so it still doesn't matter to those owning the companies or those in charge of ensuring public vehicles are safe, so what will inspections do? These inspections are also pathetic, its a paper work check, I doubt any of those checking the vehicles even look at the brakes - land of brake failure.....

Archived