60 flow accelerators draining Ubon Ratchathani floodwaters

webfact

60 flow accelerators draining Ubon Ratchathani floodwaters

f8842941b5d6cff36eed8813d55de339_small.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI, 17 September 2019 (NNT) - The floods in Phibun Mangsahan district of Ubon Ratchathani have started to improve, with 64 villages in 7 subdistricts still affected, while the initial affected area covered 14 subdistricts.

The Royal Irrigation Department has installed and is operating 60 water flow accelerators in the Mun river at full power, to push the great volume of water into the Mekong river. This has helped lower the water level in the Mun river by 7 centimeters.

The Royal Irrigation Department (RID) has installed 30 additional flow accelerators at Kaeng Saphue in Phibun Mangsahan district, Ubon Ratchathani, meaning the number of accelerators in operation is now 60. The accelerators have helped increase the flow-rate of the Mun river by 30 percent, helping reduce the water level at Phibun Mangsahan bridge by about 3 centimeters daily, with the water level down by 7 centimeters so far over two days.

Phibun Mangsahan district chief said today that the situation is gradually improving, with only 7 subdistricts still affected of the initial 14 subdistricts. Even so, 6,153 households in 10 communities, and 64 villages are currently affected by the floodwaters. 14 shelters have been set up in Rai Tai, Pho Sai, and Kud Chomphu subdistricts accommodating 771 households. Some of the affected villagers have now started to move out of the shelters, and go back home as the situation improves.

Most of the areas still flooded in Phibun Mangsahan district are near the Mekong river. The authorities have been providing continuous assistance to villagers. Our news team visited Ban Rai Nuea and Ban Rai Dom villagers in Rai Tai subdistrict, where many houses were damaged in the flood. They required boat trips or had to wade through flood waters to enter or exit the villages for more than 2 weeks. Donation centers have been set up with staff on site managing and allocating items to all villagers. Volunteers have been handing out survival kits and clean drinking water to villagers, as well as providing moral support until the situation is resolved.

At Tha Hai subdistrict in Khueang Nai district which is also affected by floodwaters from the Chi river, 451 households in six villages have faced flood waters up to 1.2 meters deep. However, the flood level has now subsided to only 30 centimeters, and is expected to recede to normal levels in three days. Farms though are still flooded.

Khueang Nai district meanwhile, has 23,000 households in 181 villages of 18 subdistricts, still affected by the floods, with some 300 square kilometers of farmland damaged.

Road traffic between Ubon Rathathani and Yasothon along Chaeng Sanit Road, Highway No 23, has been reopened after its earlier closure due to flooding in Ban Kok, Khueang Nai district. All four lanes are now open to traffic.

nnt.jpg

50 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did anybody ever test if those "flow accelerators" actually do anything except using a lot of energy?

As far as I understand this concept is impossible. But maybe we have some experts here who can describe this a little better.

It's my understanding that they were developed by the same team responsible for the molasses spraying drones which have corrected the pollution problem.  Amazing Thailand.

From the photo it looks like they are installed downstream from the bridge. This has got me confused. I thought they hooked these things up upstream and they used the bridge as an anchor as they forced water downstream.

Do they not even have enough thrust to propel themselves towards the bridge? Or is their a different anchoring system and the bridge is just an access point.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did anybody ever test if those "flow accelerators" actually do anything except using a lot of energy?

As far as I understand this concept is impossible. But maybe we have some experts here who can describe this a little better.

especially the perpetual motion result, if hydroelectric powered...

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

whatever forward motion that was induced into the water would  be dissipated in a few hundred meters.

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

From the photo it looks like they are installed downstream from the bridge. This has got me confused. I thought they hooked these things up upstream and they used the bridge as an anchor as they forced water downstream.

Do they not even have enough thrust to propel themselves towards the bridge? Or is their a different anchoring system and the bridge is just an access point.

Down stream is the place to use them, 

They work in the principle "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" and that "  'Nature abhors a vacuum"

A simple example of the first principle,  A boats propeller moves the water backwards, which accelerates the boat forward , anchor the boat so it can't move and the water is simply accelerated and flows backwards (simple flow accelerator), where the second principle comes in to play.

Unless the displaced water is replaced there will be a void ( in hydro engineering terms it is called cavitation and is a problem with submarines remaining stealthy) . The void is filled with new water , accelerating the flow of water in that direction.

If the flow acceleration devise was placed upstream two undesirable things would occur.

one is that water level will rise downstream (not a good thing for those living there), and second you can't control the direction the flow will take downstream.(also not a good thing for people downstream) .

So you place the accelerators as close as possible to the sourse you want the fluid to flow, Thus controlling both of the problems described above. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Irrigation Department has installed and is operating 60 water flow accelerators in the Mun river at full power, to push the great volume of water into the Mekong river. This has helped lower the water level in the Mun river by 7 centimeters.

I am sure that it has stopped raining,has more to do with it than

the water accelerators.

regards worgeordie

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Down stream is the place to use them, 

They work in the principle "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" and that "  'Nature abhors a vacuum"

A simple example of the first principle,  A boats propeller moves the water backwards, which accelerates the boat forward , anchor the boat so it can't move and the water is simply accelerated and flows backwards (simple flow accelerator), where the second principle comes in to play.

Unless the displaced water is replaced there will be a void ( in hydro engineering terms it is called cavitation and is a problem with submarines remaining stealthy) . The void is filled with new water , accelerating the flow of water in that direction.

If the flow acceleration devise was placed upstream two undesirable things would occur.

one is that water level will rise downstream (not a good thing for those living there), and second you can't control the direction the flow will take downstream.(also not a good thing for people downstream) .

So you place the accelerators as close as possible to the sourse you want the fluid to flow, Thus controlling both of the problems described above. 

I only meant upstream from the bridge. A difference of about 50 feet. I thought they used the bridge as the anchor. But I guess They have a different way to anchor them.

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I only meant upstream from the bridge. A difference of about 50 feet. I thought they used the bridge as the anchor. But I guess They have a different way to anchor them.

Sorry. I did not notice that.  Good eye canuckamuck !!

Downstream would make sense then since it would eliminate the resistance to flow the bridge would provide.

I wonder if there is a drop after the bridge (anyone familiar with that bridge?)  If there is a drop then pushing the water over the drop would be better. 

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Sorry. I did not notice that.  Good eye canuckamuck !!

Downstream would make sense then since it would eliminate the resistance to flow the bridge would provide.

I wonder if there is a drop after the bridge (anyone familiar with that bridge?)  If there is a drop then pushing the water over the drop would be better. 

It looks like a big wide river. I would be surprised to see a drop nearby. Big and wide is also working against the force applied to the water because momentum can escape to the side. But they don't show a wide shot, so maybe they have the width of the river covered.

My in laws live in a village in Tan Sum, about 15 miles out of Phibun, whilst no

properties in the village have been flooded, the road to Phibun is still impassable

to all vehicles bar the big army trucks which are bringing in supplies.

The big worry is the rice harvest, crucial to the locals, which looks doomed as

most of the paddies are underwater and many of the earth walls severely damaged.

The floods will subside, but next year will be very hard on these good folk.

Anyway, sorry to swerve the topic, I do hope these machines do as they hope and 

move some of this water away.

Archived