BANGKOK
kitenomad

VISA RUN Pailin/Ban Pakard or Ban Laem/Daun Lem which is the better/cheaper option?

Hi,

I've done Ban Laem but they overcharge quite a bit nowadays (1700 - 2000 Baht).

Anyone did Pailin/Ban Pakard border run recently?

This border is just 22.5 km South of Ban Laem.

Tony

Myanmar is cheaper and faster if in Bangkok. 

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

From where?

I am currently residing in Pattaya, hence the Cambo option.

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Myanmar is cheaper and faster if in Bangkok. 

I am not. I know Kanchanaburi is 950 Baht.

Ban Pakard has been fine for me. Prices vary from 2300 to 2900, basically the same trip but with different food thrown in

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
6 minutes ago, kitenomad said:

Ban Pakard has been fine for me. Prices vary from 2300 to 2900, basically the same trip but with different food thrown in

I wasn't clear, I do the trip myself, I have a car.

Cryptic thread this one. I think the visa cost is US$30 plus I've heard them trying to charge 100 baht for arrival card

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cryptic thread this one. I think the visa cost is US$30 plus I've heard them trying to charge 100 baht for arrival card

There is nothing cryptic about this thread. I've been there many times at the Ban Laem border. It was 1400 baht before but last year I was charged around 1800 Baht. The visa cost + service + the in/out fine (the rule is u have to stay at least one night). Buddy of mine was charged 2000 Baht. For your information it isn't possible to "go get the visa yourself"

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
33 minutes ago, kitenomad said:

This was a trip to Ban Pakard with a visa run company? I was under the impression that they all went to Ban Laem. Are you sure it was Ban pakard?

Drove to Ban Pakkard myself 2 days ago to get a visa exemption, 1700 baht, sat on my ass at thailand side for 20mins waiting then left, easy and cheap

• Haha 1

From Pattaya, Ban Pakkard is a little closer, and faster as it isn't as crowded as Laem. I have never paid more than 30 $ there, although never done the same day turnaround. They usually ask for 35$,but are not very persistent, especially if you can point to a couple of old Cambodian visas in your passport and say they were all 30.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:06 AM, kitenomad said:

For your information it isn't possible to "go get the visa yourself"

Sure you can!

When I used to do visa runs I always got a Visa for Cambodia from the Embassy in BKK, I used a travel agent which they would pick up my passport get the visa and return my passport with the visa. Then when I did a visa run i didn't have to deal with the guys at the border cheating you on a visa price. 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:38 PM, ericthai said:

Sure you can!

When I used to do visa runs I always got a Visa for Cambodia from the Embassy in BKK, I used a travel agent which they would pick up my passport get the visa and return my passport with the visa. Then when I did a visa run i didn't have to deal with the guys at the border cheating you on a visa price. 

Stay in context please, I was talking about, doing the visa "yourself" at the border. 

On 9/18/2019 at 3:45 PM, kurtcap said:

Drove to Ban Pakkard myself 2 days ago to get a visa exemption, 1700 baht, sat on my ass at thailand side for 20mins waiting then left, easy and cheap

Yes, I've done the same. I never been to Ban Pakkard before so I was just wondering if it was cheaper there (Compared to Ban Laem). But on both crossings they have a "visa service" that charges more than the original price of the visa. I had my visa in 10 min, new road is very good too.