Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

The "Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai" Topic has almost reached epic proportions and is a great place to offer up suggestions of well good places to eat in Chiang Mai but there isn't a similar one as such for drinking. This seems odd to me because from the amount of conversation and reading in different threads drinking appears to be a popular past time :o

A couple of threads have been closed becuase they deviated off topic such as the forum "O'Malley's v the Red Lion" I used to like that one and read an entry in another forum where it was likened to the killing off of an old friend. Those were true words, the forum was an old friend but it had diverted into something way beyond its initial bounds which was the differences between two bars here in Chiang Mai.

OK here are the basic rules:

1) this is a forum about bars and drinking holes in the CHIANG MAI area - please don't start talking about the Mango Bar in Bangkok or we will be punted off to the general Bars and Entertainment area.

2) Do not use this as a testing area for your new flame thrower - if you disagree with a post, say so and put up a reason, if you really disagree, send the poster a Person Mail, If you violently disagree with them - leave and get a life somewhere else because you need help.

3) The focus of this forum is bars and drinking so while we will probably get away with small asides about such as who has the best looking bar girls or even a description of the food try to keep it to less than 10% of the total content.

4) Remember prostitution is illegal in Thailand - we will be sin binned if anyone starts to discuss the alternative activities on offer in most bars here in Thailand. Anyone starting a discussion on the price differential in bar fines before and after 9:00pm will most definitely get a rocket up the ar## from one of the moderators.

5) MOST IMPORTANT: Be nice and have fun

So what is a good bar and why? Should it sell food as well as drink? Is it the bar girls or some other attraction. What do you like and why? There are a myriad of bars in this city - probably too many if the truth be told. But most of us have one or two we prefer over the others.

I like #1 Bar in Soi 1, Loy Kroh - Freddy who owns it has successfully run bars in Belgium and he knows how to do it well here. The girls are good and have the main function of serving drinks. It can get crowded and noisy but has an atmosphere. It sometimes goes through a cycle with the girls pushing for lady drinks but for the most part once they know you they don't hassle.

Tuskers in the new boy on the block and is a very different style - it is more a gathering place for people looking for a quiet place for a drink and has food available. Last Friday the Chiang Mai Thai Visa group turned up and we had a good night. Chas and his partner Rachael are from England but despite that very nice people, they are trying to give it a go and good luck to them.

The Peak area paralleling the night bazaar has a pack of little bars around the climbing wall, I tend to see Stefan at the Angel if I just want a chat and a beer. It is low key, low brow and no hassles. He has the usual beers etc and you can get a selection of Thai food delivered to the bar, from within the area. Mike's burgers have a franchise there but make your own decision.

The Down Under on the other side of town on Niemenheim (never get the spelling right) is a great Aussie bar with food and drink, he has live sports on the big screen and an all round nice guy.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Laughing Leprechaun is, IMHO, one of the unsung gems of Chiang Mai.

It is a regular bar/restaurant with excellent food and well tended Guinness on tap, Dominic, the host, is one of the friendliest and nicest people you could hope to meet. Added to which he is Irish which as far as owners/managers of Irish bars in these parts is concerned is quite a novelty! It's not a bar for those on a quest for the cheapest Beer Chang in town but it is excellent value for money when you take into account the quality of the grub.

On the occasions that the place is busy Dominic is always on hand to keep the punters happy and consequently creates a great atmosphere . . . . unfortunately it is often very quiet and I really don't understand why? Anyone got any insights?

Stuck in the UK right now, freezing my proverbials off and looking forward to getting back to, amongst many other things, decent Guinness and a decent fry up at a decent price - see you soon Dom.

JxP

The "Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai" Topic has almost reached epic proportions and is a great place to offer up suggestions of well good places to eat in Chiang Mai but there isn't a similar one as such for drinking. This seems odd to me because from the amount of conversation and reading in different threads drinking appears to be a popular past time :D

A couple of threads have been closed becuase they deviated off topic such as the forum "O'Malley's v the Red Lion" I used to like that one and read an entry in another forum where it was likened to the killing off of an old friend. Those were true words, the forum was an old friend but it had diverted into something way beyond its initial bounds which was the differences between two bars here in Chiang Mai.

1) this is a forum about bars and drinking holes in the CHIANG MAI area - please don't start talking about the Mango Bar in Bangkok or we will be punted off to the general Bars and Entertainment area.

2) Do not use this as a testing area for your new flame thrower - if you disagree with a post, say so and put up a reason, if you really disagree, send the poster a Person Mail, If you violently disagree with them - leave and get a life somewhere else because you need help.

3) The focus of this forum is bars and drinking so while we will probably get away with small asides about such as who has the best looking bar girls or even a description of the food try to keep it to less than 10% of the total content.

4) Remember prostitution is illegal in Thailand - we will be sin binned if anyone starts to discuss the alternative activities on offer in most bars here in Thailand. Anyone starting a discussion on the price differential in bar fines before and after 9:00pm will most definitely get a rocket up the ar## from one of the moderators.

So what is a good bar and why? Should it sell food as well as drink? Is it the bar girls or some other attraction. What do you like and why? There are a myriad of bars in this city - probably too many if the truth be told. But most of us have one or two we prefer over the others.

I like #1 Bar in Soi 1, Loy Kroh - Freddy who owns it has successfully run bars in Belgium and he knows how to do it well here. The girls are good and have the main function of serving drinks. It can get crowded and noisy but has an atmosphere. It sometimes goes through a cycle with the girls pushing for lady drinks but for the most part once they know you they don't hassle.

Tuskers in the new boy on the block and is a very different style - it is more a gathering place for people looking for a quiet place for a drink and has food available. Last Friday the Chiang Mai Thai Visa group turned up and we had a good night. Chas and his partner Rachael are from England but despite that very nice people, they are trying to give it a go and good luck to them.

The Peak area paralleling the night bazaar has a pack of little bars around the climbing wall, I tend to see Stefan at the Angel if I just want a chat and a beer. It is low key, low brow and no hassles. He has the usual beers etc and you can get a selection of Thai food delivered to the bar, from within the area. Mike's burgers have a franchise there but make your own decision.

The Down Under on the other side of town on Niemenheim (never get the spelling right) is a great Aussie bar with food and drink, he has live sports on the big screen and an all round nice guy.

Strewth - With posts like this, I'm out of a job!

Nice one Crow Boy.

Now as a mostly non drinker, I should shut up or I will be severely :o .

Personally I Like Warm Up, Monkey Club, and Bangrak.

I am younger (25) so these are more aimed towards the younger crowd.

Warm up has a "lounge" where a DJ spins techno (usually a house varient) Monkey is great for drinking outside the live band area and bangrak has one of the best Thai rock setups IMHO

There is a new bar opening on the corner of Chang puak and Tapae right after the moo kata, looks like they are going to open a cool place.

It is a regular bar/restaurant with excellent food and well tended Guinness on tap, Dominic, the host, is one of the friendliest and nicest people you could hope to meet. Added to which he is Irish which as far as owners/managers of Irish bars in these parts is concerned is quite a novelty! It's not a bar for those on a quest for the cheapest Beer Chang in town but it is excellent value for money when you take into account the quality of the grub.

On the occasions that the place is busy Dominic is always on hand to keep the punters happy and consequently creates a great atmosphere . . . . unfortunately it is often very quiet and I really don't understand why? Anyone got any insights?

Stuck in the UK right now, freezing my proverbials off and looking forward to getting back to, amongst many other things, decent Guinness and a decent fry up at a decent price - see you soon Dom.

JxP

JxP I agree the Leprachaun is an unsung gem and Dominic (until you post I could not think of his name for the life of me) is a great host. I like the place but I can't drink too much Guiness in the heat - too heavy for me.

What about the UN or O'Malley's? How would you rate them as a watering hole?

CM Saloon (the original on Loi Kroh). Although located on Pus--y Bar Street, it is a normal bar with an eclectic mix of ajarns, local farang retirees, tie-dyed backpacker couples, and the occasional wild card (single Thai female psychology professor from BKK, I'm not making this up). Excellent food, and great prices on drinks- lg Chang 65, WICKED little shaken margaritas 70, and double premium drinks for barely more than a single (Old Bushmills, anyone?). Huge big screen, usually playing music concert DVD's, though on request they will put on some cherished sport event if its not peak biz hours (Oz Rules, cricket, motorsports). Oh, and they have free WiFi, and a free computer for anyone to use at the back. Just steps from the Muay Thai Boxing girlie bar pavilion, and just around corner from Peak, etc. Great "starting out" place, and if unlucky also a great "ending up" place. I will post more as soon as my Delerium Tremens subsides....

O'malleys and The Queen Vic for Guinness and good nosh.

Tuskers for the atmosphere and Beer Lao.

Downunder for the Fish n Chips and Aussie Rules Football.'

The Drunken Flower for good blues and Mexican food.

The German Brewery for the home brew and excellent pork knuckle.

The Dukes for pizza and Coronas.

Miguels for marguritas and tacos.

The Pub on Wednesdays for the meet the dinosaur night.

Sax Pub for his great CD collection.

The Pub on Wednesdays for the meet the dinosaur night.

This could be something new, never met a real live dinosaur before :D:D

The youngest bloke or sheila in there is 165 years old. Nice folk though. Graham is a really nice manager.

Met a fellow in there once from Scotland; was in SAS in Burma in WWII. Then became an eye surgeon, then retired after many years- and moved to Thailand 35 YEARS AGO...! :o

Also add:

The Gallery (back room) Fri/Sat nite for live jazz. When they finish up, if so inclined move next door to:

Le Brasserie to hear Took play his rock

Also:

John's Place or the Kafe on Moon Muang, sit outside for some great people watching

The Spotlight at 12 midnight....oh let's forget about that one.....

Drunken flower - love the music , and know the guitarist personally ,

the place have nice food , but the parking for cars is abit tricky ,

relaxing place and is hidden away behind the soi of the Rimkam hotel

if you need direction . you know the drill

PM me i would draw you a map

Le Brasserie to hear Took play his rock

Took is great, but after hearing "smoke on the water" and "all along the watchtower" 3000 times it gets a little repetitive..

Agreed, but one night I was there he had some 7' tall shaved head farang on alto sax who stood in who was better than all the rest of them combined! Ya never know..

Also a correction- the fellow from Edinburough who I met was in the SBS (Special Boat Squadron) in Burma- SAS I don't think had been formed yet.

Hey- I just had a (drunken) brainstorm! Why don't we all get together, and do a quadrant by quadrant of CM review of all the bars. Sort of an independent panel of discerning professional drinkers...might get a little spendy, but we could limit ourselves to 2 drinks max per bar, to maintain both our judgement skills, and navigation skills home... :o

Drunken flower - love the music , and know the guitarist personally ,

the place have nice food , but the parking for cars is abit tricky ,

relaxing place and is hidden away behind the soi of the Rimkam hotel

if you need direction . you know the drill

PM me i would draw you a map

You're right Ta22; Drunken Flower is a treasure. I like to sit out in the garden, can hear the music fine, enjoy the Thai style ambience. It's also the closest quality place for me from where I live near CMU. Although the Warm Up and Fine Thanks for a different kind of atmosphere are close by, my vote goes to Drunken Flower.

But Down Under up the road is definitely #1 for motorsports viewing, now that MotoGp and F1 have started. And Gus the owner is a great guy.

I agree completely.

As to why it is not so popular, I have noticed that several of my buddies who are unusually frugal - who are not willing to pay a little bit more for a lot more quality - avoid it like giving money to charity. It is not expensive, but not dirt cheap either. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I agree completely.

As to why it is not so popular, I have noticed that several of my buddies who are unusually frugal - who are not willing to pay a little bit more for a lot more quality - avoid it like giving money to charity. It is not expensive, but not dirt cheap either. :o

If the fish&chips are half as good as has been posted on the food forum, and the Guiness is fresh (as I know it will be)- I'll give it a try soon. Honestly I never went in because everytime I walked by, it was almost deserted. My foodie/chow hound antennae are very sensitive to absence of clientele. On your recommendation, I'll give it a shot...

On your recommendation [meaning Ulysses G.'s], I'll give it a shot...

He has been known to go there day after day, lunch and dinner . . . for the very same meal over and over! :o

This can be a scary thing- but hey 1 time why not.

On a side note, no one has mentioned the little scruff bars on the soi behind UN Irish Pub.

Although the music quality can be a bit iffy at times, I personally like Roots Rock Reggae. Sometimes lateish at night, if I half close my eyes, under the lovely tin roof architecture, I almost feel like it's Jamaica, mon.

Babylon across the way just doesn't cut it, although I do like the outdoor firepit and the big Bodhi tree aura (just kidding).

At close, it gets a huge flood of unspoken-for young lovelies, a la Spicy's, in a reggae bar, no less. A bit strange. Not my cup of Chang...

Some while ago i was planning to start a small Music bar - cos i know a few really good musican ,

i personally Know Teacher and studio owner Ahjan Nic who have a Studio in Lamphun and recall alto of the famous people you hear on CD and TV .

If you like Old country there is one PLace near the second hand car tent heading toward mae jo .

The musican there is all old school thai who had been playing for like ages .

The best guitarist i know is Pi Sier ( tiger ) is a young chap with long rocker style look .

he is the best in chiangmai - i will check and if i know where is he playing i would post it up ..

JxP I agree the Leprachaun is an unsung gem and Dominic (until you post I could not think of his name for the life of me) is a great host. I like the place but I can't drink too much Guiness in the heat - too heavy for me.

I only ever find myself at UN for quiz night and for that evening it's good - not so keen on the food there though, staff are usually pretty attentive but I think that the Guinness only comes in cans (I may be wrong on this). If you are into your sport then I would have thought that UN is THE place to go considering the huge range of channels Sandy has on offer.

O'Malleys doesn't stir such strong feelings in me as I have read in certain other threads but unfortunately it reminds me of the JD Wetherspoons chain in the UK which tries to do that good old wood and brass look but doesn't quite get there, the Guinness always tastes as though either the pipes have never been cleaned or someone left pipe cleaning fluid in the pipes never anywhere in between!! And the food is very very average. However, with the right crowd it can still be a good place to hang out.

Try a Guinness to accompany the steak, mushroom and Guinness pie at the Laughing Leprechaun - absobloodylutey superb!

JxP

I only ever find myself at UN for quiz night and for that evening it's good - not so keen on the food there though, staff are usually pretty attentive but I think that the Guinness only comes in cans (I may be wrong on this). If you are into your sport then I would have thought that UN is THE place to go considering the huge range of channels Sandy has on offer.

O'Malleys doesn't stir such strong feelings in me as I have read in certain other threads but unfortunately it reminds me of the JD Wetherspoons chain in the UK which tries to do that good old wood and brass look but doesn't quite get there, the Guinness always tastes as though either the pipes have never been cleaned or someone left pipe cleaning fluid in the pipes never anywhere in between!! And the food is very very average. However, with the right crowd it can still be a good place to hang out.

Try a Guinness to accompany the steak, mushroom and Guinness pie at the Laughing Leprechaun - absobloodylutey superb!

JxP

UN Irish does have Guinness on tap, stopped by for a pint myself last week.

JxP

UN Irish does have Guinness on tap, stopped by for a pint myself last week.

My apologies for the misinformation, I will forego the usual quiz fuel of Tiger Beer for a drop of the black stuff next time!

JxP

He has been known to go there day after day, lunch and dinner . . . for the very same meal over and over! :D

Rasseru is joking. I go there about once a week and try all different things.

I don't want to build up expectations too much - especially for Brits who I assume have had the best back in Blighty - however, I did have fish and chips and a couple of beer Laos there last night and was quite satisfied.

They use real cod (probably frozen) and it is certainly the best that I have had in Chiang Mai (I haven't tried Downunder yet), but I doubt if it would stick out back in the old country. The chips are real British chips and they have malt vinegar which I love. :o

He has been known to go there day after day, lunch and dinner . . . for the very same meal over and over! :D

Rasseru is joking. I go there about once a week and try all different things.

I don't want to build up expectations too much - especially for Brits who I assume have had the best back in Blighty - however, I did have fish and chips and a couple of beer Laos there last night and was quite satisfied.

They use real cod (probably frozen) and it is certainly the best that I have had in Chiang Mai (I haven't tried Downunder yet), but I doubt if it would stick out back in the old country. The chips are real British chips and they have malt vinegar which I love. :o

UG has a food fixation - I thought this thread was about drinking places?

My Axis of Evil depends on where I'm staying but usually includes UN Irish, Mad Dog and O'Malleys. The first two because of affable hosts and sport and the third because it is air-conditioned and in walking distance of where I sometimes stay.

I've only been to the Laughing Leprechaun once and was very impressed but thought it might be a bit quiet for drinking. Next time I'm in town I will certainly give Tuskers a shot after reading so much about it here.

Rasseru is joking.

Thanks for the clarification. :o Silly me, I mistakenly thought the laughing face would convey that. :D

UG has a food fixation - I thought this thread was about drinking places?

That is correct, but did I mention that I drank TWO Beer Laos to validate my post. :o

Rasseru, I knew that you were joking, but I wanted to make sure that no one went rushing over to see why I eat there three times a day! :D

The "Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai" Topic has almost reached epic proportions and is a great place to offer up suggestions of well good places to eat in Chiang Mai but there isn't a similar one as such for drinking. This seems odd to me because from the amount of conversation and reading in different threads drinking appears to be a popular past time :D

Strewth - With posts like this, I'm out of a job!

Nice one Crow Boy.

Now as a mostly non drinker, I should shut up or I will be severely :o .

p1p - you are most welcome to join us for a virtual drink at a place of your choosing. So as a mostly non drinker where do you like to hangout on the rare occasions you get a yearnign for a drink or just a sit and chat?

To me, it would be wonderful if there were a really good wine bar in town. Do we have one, in anyone's opinion, humble or otherwise? I would love to be able to stop off and have a glass, a good sized glass but still just a glass (or two), of really good -- there's that word again -- or even excellent wine, that one could select out of, say five to ten wines that were available at that time for choosing.

Personally I Like Warm Up, Monkey Club, and Bangrak.

I am younger (25) so these are more aimed towards the younger crowd.

Warm up has a "lounge" where a DJ spins techno (usually a house varient) Monkey is great for drinking outside the live band area and bangrak has one of the best Thai rock setups IMHO

There is a new bar opening on the corner of Chang puak and Tapae right after the moo kata, looks like they are going to open a cool place.

How about a more extensive review? I have been to the Monkey a couple of times and it is a nice place. THe others I don't know and not eveyone here is in the pension guild so I would like to see postings of these other venues.

thanks