Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

Had guests in town on the weekend, one of which was a guitarist, so took them to the Flower. This guy has played with the likes of Paul Weller, the Psychedelic Furs et al. - to a packed Wembly Stadium. He joined for a jam. Problem is that he is a left hander - so he played a right handed guitar in reverse (without re-stringing) and was phucking amazing - blew them away without being obnoxious.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had guests in town on the weekend, one of which was a guitarist, so took them to the Flower. This guy has played with the likes of Paul Weller, the Psychedelic Furs et al. - to a packed Wembly Stadium. He joined for a jam. Problem is that he is a left hander - so he played a right handed guitar in reverse (without re-stringing) and was phucking amazing - blew them away without being obnoxious.

Excellent - I personally hate jam sessions, I like to know what we are playing and who is doing what. Just playing 127 rounds of 12 bar blues and everyone trying to out do eachother is tedious. The thing frequently becomes a train wreck. If someone takes the centre spot and they agree on a song and the rest support them, it can be great but bands are dynamic and it can be really difficult to lock straight into a groove with the others. It is also something hard for the backing band to do because they don't know this guy and how he plays, what he is going to do, or where he is going with the song. Biggest danger is usually during the solo, if the guy doesn't clearly coordinate with the rest of the band he can suddenly finish his solo and they have moved back into an other round. This can make him look good and them bad. Not saying that is what happened with your friend but it happens a lot.

Left handed guitarists who can play right handed are quite common. LH guitars of the same quality as the same model in RH are always more expensive and less common. Playing as a left hander on a RH guitar has a number of advantages playing wise as well. The dominant hand is the one doing the most work, and requiring the greatest dexterity. As a right hander playing a RH guitar you are fretting with the weaker (phyically and coordination wise) hand and the right hand is just doing the picking and strumming. If you play a lot of jazz chords with Bill Friezel style picking over multiple strings then yes it helps to use standard setup but for most guitarists the work is single picking and multiple fretting so having the dominant hand do the most work makes sense.

One of the LH guys I played with played a standard RH guitar for everything except for Hendrix, he then used a special RH strat (Olympic white with 70's style big headstock) and restrung it al la Jimi and then play it inverted. Having the controls and trem handle on the wrong side made him rethink his technique and discovered a lot of things that Hendrix had to do to play the same way. Having the pickups slant in a reverse direction makes them tonally different to standard pickups.

He did a lot of Albert King stuff on a Gibson Flying V, with the strings in standard order, so that he could do the monster 2 string bends by pulling down in the same way that Albert did. To do the same thing on a standard guitar and bending up is MUCH harder.

Stevie Ray Vaughan purposely bought a LH stat (as have several similar players) and he restung that and played it inverted to get an "authentic" sound. SRV ended up with getting the trem from the LH guitar gilded and replaced the one on his #1 guitar to put the trem bar on top. He said that it had a slightly different tone. The first edition of the SRV signature guitar had the option of LH or RH trem, now it is a special order but very few players opt for it.

I haven't been to the Drunken Flower for ages, I was intending to go there on Saturday night but opted out of it and went to visit a friend instead. Would have liked to have seen the show.

CB

It worked, he just followed the band and led them along at times. Someone video'd bits of it.

Good to see and I am sorry I missed it. Usually all it takes is someone to say ok "let's play the song "mississippi queen" we will play it in the key of G and then I'll do the first solo, back for a chorus, then you do your solo and we will play the same 8 bars until you run out of ideas, the audience falls asleep, or the drummer dies of exhaustion. When you are ready to finish up your solo raise the headstock in the last two to three bars and we will move into the last verse and do the outro. We should be finished within 20 minutes and in time to get the last drinks" That stuff works, even established bands screw up sometimes (frequently) on improvistation but when it works it is really good - just gives me extreme nerves when I get caught up in it :o

CB

Bugged out a little early from work last night hoping to catch the Tonic Rays at Guitarman. Unfortunately the TR's were postponed until tonight but saw a good band playing their audition.

Of particular note (and I know this is a subject that interests CM TV members :o ) I had the best burger that I have had for a very long time. A generous patty of fresh mince, really tasty chutney and best of all stilton cheese - superb.

Very enjoyable evening, good music, great food and a very genial host - highly recommended.

Of particular note (and I know this is a subject that interests CM TV members :D ) I had the best burger that I have had for a very long time. A generous patty of fresh mince, really tasty chutney and best of all stilton cheese - superb.

Mince...chutney...stilton cheese?

Would this be some sort of a Tazmanian style burger? :o

Of particular note (and I know this is a subject that interests CM TV members :D ) I had the best burger that I have had for a very long time. A generous patty of fresh mince, really tasty chutney and best of all stilton cheese - superb.

Mince...chutney...stilton cheese?

Would this be some sort of a Tazmanian style burger? :o

Mince beef is surely the basis for all burgers?

I guess Americans would call chutney relish.

and stilton because it is the King of Cheeses :D

I don't think you would be disappointed UG

I don't know. I'm not very experimental when it comes to burgers or pizza. I don't even appreciate Blue Cheese burgers even though I love blue cheese.

Would this burger be considered British or Aussie style?

I wouldn't attribute it to any nationality just a blue cheese burger and they are available in lots of places. For me the quality (and size) of the meat and the cheese made this burger particularly good. IMHO Stilton is the best blue cheese although I'm also a big Saint Agur fan.

You've convinced me.

I didn't know that Stilton cheese was blue cheese - the BEST blue cheeese.

Maybe the one that I tried had yucky blue cheese. I just hope that chutney tastes like relish, rather than some weird Indian jam as I envision it! :o

You've convinced me.

I didn't know that Stilton cheese was blue cheese - the BEST blue cheeese.

Maybe the one that I tried had yucky blue cheese. I just hope that chutney tastes like relish, rather than some weird Indian jam as I envision it! :D

Decent sized slice of stilton too. I wondered how they can make a profit on it the cost of Stilton being what it is in LOS

I look forward to a report from the master :o

Oh and they have great music too. Enjoy. :D

• 1 month later...
they playing tonight i gather

Yes Tonic Rays tonight at Guitarman is confirmed. Sadl can't be there so will try to catch them another time

They were on last night at The Guitarman. They were great as usual. The band (trio) that play before them (starting around 21.30) are great as well, and really know how to rock. BTW, the margaritas looked good as well, must try next time. Looks like the VIP table :o at Guitarman could be a regular ThaiVisa hangout, i hope so. :D

Most of my friends in Chiang Mai don't drink, or are married, ( or both! :D ) so I often have to go to drinking places on my own when I'm in town. Since I was on vacation there recently, I reallly did not have the time to go to those out of the way places that you all mentioned in previous posts...A typical late night would begin with me eating a little after dinner mel at Cozy Corner ( or that great Irish restaurant place behind it ), then move on to John's Place for a pitcher of Leo, then shamble across the moat to Spotlight for the eye candy(!) and a Chang. Then to bar hop to Easy Corner, after which then I usually end up at Linda's.... ( Sometimes I somehow make it up to Chiang Mai Entertainment Complex... )

I don't remember too much after that..... Yes, being a single guy in Thailand is great!

:D

Of course, now If I lived in Chiang Mai , I don't think I could afford ( not to mention be able to ) do that for very long.... :o

Edited by Narachon

What do you think about "Mad Dog" at Moon Muang?

I think the place is not too bad, but the people working there are so unfriendly. Whenever I go there, I'm not greeted with a smile and a "Sawadee Kha" but with an unfriendly look and and a kind of "What do you want" behaviour. You probably won't be surprised, when I tell you, that I don't go there too often.

Chiang Mai Saloon eg is much better in this way.

I find the day shift at Mad dog as being very friendly and they seen to have a smile for the customers. I have noted the evening crew is not in the same league. Try the daytime up to 1600 and I would buy you a drink if you pick me out.

Couple I noticed on a Darts in LOS site...apart from the PUB ...M-KO Jai...

El-Toro 24/5 Loi Kroh Road

H3 Pub 25/1 Moonmuang Rd.

Half Moon Moon Muang Soi 2

Hobo's Off Ratvithi Road

Lucky Bar 59 Kotchasan Rd

Rock Hard Bar Charoen Prather Rd

White Eagle Inner Ring Road :o