Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

Great ideas for bars on this thread!! I've tried quite a few over the past month so here's my pitch:

Mad Dog: fun bar, usually a crowd in so always someone to chat with

John's Place: The place for an afternoon 'session' with people watching

The What: Friendly owner, good music

The Queen Victoria: A good place for sunday Lunch and the draught Strongbow was a definite plus

The Olde Bell: this has become my favourite at the moment. Good selction of wines, a fantastic selection of cheeses (including Stilton!) and even things like a ploughmans lunch, marmite sarnies and Cornish pasty. Theres usually someone in for a chat and they've got draught Guinness and bottled Belgian Beers like Leffe and Duvel (I like mixing my drinks as you can tell!) Great place!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number 1 Bar off Loi Kroh (Soi 1) is expanding. The old Angel bar has closed and Freddy bought the site. He is building a bar/bistro/coffee shop on the site. This will make it a pretty serious sort of bar and he will be increasing the staff to about 30 girls. I am not sure if I will move across the road to the new one when it is done but I am sure he will do well with it. Three years ago when he opened the bar I remember the "sage advice" from the Old Hands in town saying he would close up broke within six months because nobody would go down there - obviously lots of people over the time have done just that. I am sure lots more people will be going down there for some time yet :o

CB

Number 1 Bar off Loi Kroh (Soi 1) is expanding. The old Angel bar has closed and Freddy bought the site. He is building a bar/bistro/coffee shop on the site. This will make it a pretty serious sort of bar and he will be increasing the staff to about 30 girls. I am not sure if I will move across the road to the new one when it is done but I am sure he will do well with it. Three years ago when he opened the bar I remember the "sage advice" from the Old Hands in town saying he would close up broke within six months because nobody would go down there - obviously lots of people over the time have done just that. I am sure lots more people will be going down there for some time yet :o

CB

is that why you have that wry smile walking into Tuskers the other night. :D

will have time to check out some other bars after the RWC, perhaps you and McG could lead the tour :D

Crowboy, is "dating" ladyboys that are younger than half your age acceptable behavior according to the official Crowboy Book of Etiquette for Thailand? :o
UG as I have written a number of times already I am not the arbiter of official behaviour and never assumed that I was. If you wish to "date" a ladyboy that is your perogative and has nothing to do with me. As long as she is older than the legal age of consent then she is allowed to have sex with you. However you must be aware that any form of payment will make it prostitution which is 1) illegal in the Kingdom of Thailand and 2) a discussion not permitted on Thai Visa.

I think you should conduct your affairs in whatever manner you see fit but be aware of legal implications even when in your mind a particular law is "stupid".

CB

I will take that as a yes.

See you tonight over on Loi Crow Road near Soi One old buddy! :D

The last night out I had was with McSpicy were we went to a Karaoke bar - his first time. Had a great night but at 6,500baht without any extras it should have been a freekin' sparklin' night out :o

I have the inlaws and outlaws at home at the moment so am a little restricted in getting out at night. I may be making my excuses to the assembled family members tomorrow evening for a few jars.

Maybe see you around for a burger and a beer

CB

PAI FON TON NAO behind Wat Jet Yod. Quite difficult to find. That's probably why this bar (and restaurant) is a gem (IMO). This part of CM is not fully developped. There's still a lot of vegetation. Maybe it's an illusion but it seems that the air is a little better than downtown.

Two or three bungalows in a garden, some "funny" tables and paintings (the owner is The painter. He had a full page in the Bangok Post a few years ago). I can't say I like his style but he is a nice and quiet gent. Maybe a little bit shy. I like his bohemian way of living (or so it seems).

It's a kind of innercity Shangri La (is it proper English ?). I think they close around 7 or 8 pm so that's an afternoon place. Perfect for a (some) 5/6 O' clock beer(s) with a good friend or alone with a good book when the sun goes down and the liquid turns to gold.

I am not a regular and I must admit that I haven't been there for a while but I will go back there sometime next week. Reading this topic reminded me of the place. Thanks.

Four of us went to the Chiang Mai Saloon and all ordered bacon cheeseburgers.

I still think that they are the best in town and I think that Crowboy and Mike agreed. Ralph prefers The Duke's and the Laughing Leprrecan's which are huge. :o

I actually had the cheese burger no bacon - I do agree that for the basic straight up cheese burger it is the best around. I really like Woody's for an Oz style burger and if I am going a but upmarket then Dave's at The Duke is my choice. Like all foods burgers are subjective to the individual taste preferences of the eater and maker. Depends on what I am after.

Getting the thread back on topic as Good places to Drink in Chiang Mai - I had a beer Singha with my burger and it was really nice.

CB

• 3 weeks later...

The Tonic Rays are playing at Guitarman tonight.

It is their first gig after a month-long break from live performances. They will be back on their regular schedule playing Thursday nights 10.30pm-midnight at Guitarman (corner of Loi Kroh and Charoen Prathet Rds).

The release of their debut album is also in the pipeline. They've got their own website on myspace for anyone interested.

The Tonic Rays are playing at Guitarman tonight.

It is their first gig after a month-long break from live performances. They will be back on their regular schedule playing Thursday nights 10.30pm-midnight at Guitarman (corner of Loi Kroh and Charoen Prathet Rds).

The release of their debut album is also in the pipeline. They've got their own website on myspace for anyone interested.

How did the gig go? I am back in CM and should be able to make the next one. Also want a copy to get a copy of the CD.

CB

"The release of their debut album is also in the pipeline. They've got their own website on myspace for anyone interested.How did the gig go? I am back in CM and should be able to make the next one. Also want a copy to get a copy of the CD."

I was quite happy to run into Meadish there the other night - apparently he's been a fan and seen shows for a long time. The set was tight. I expected a little rust in the system after a break, but as is often the case, it was maybe the perfect thing. The show and set was great. May have been the first time I remember them doing a Zeppelin cover too - Marie can really belt it out! Joe's playing was right on and so wee his vocals too. Everyone was great, bass and drums were rocking. Great show. You can bet I'll be there next Thurs as well.

And if time permits, sticking around Guitarman after for the unanticipated extra round, chatting with friends and the band is always a good time too.

.... Hitting the Tonic Rays at Guitarman tonight, Thurs, @10 pm. Caught them last week after their 1 month break...sounded better than ever. Tight set. And of course great service and friendly smiles from Nick n co. Anybody who loves good old Rock n Roll ought to come check it. Their original tunes are great...... and the album coming out sometime soon....

I went into town last night thinking that the usual suspects would be there. McSpicy went to Chiang Rai, Austhaied was otherwise indisposed, then the girl started to fade out at 9:00pm and I had to take her back home.

Will be back there next week and hopefully we will be better organised

CB

I went into town last night thinking that the usual suspects would be there. McSpicy went to Chiang Rai, Austhaied was otherwise indisposed, then the girl started to fade out at 9:00pm and I had to take her back home.

CB

Perhaps we could try and round up more than a few TV posters and make a night out of it. I'm sure the Tonic Rays would love the local support. Great pizzas to be had as well (try the sex pistols spicy pizza)..Ice cold bevies as well. Go on , you know it makes sense. Next Thurday (25th) then ???

CB

Perhaps we could try and round up more than a few TV posters and make a night out of it. I'm sure the Tonic Rays would love the local support. Great pizzas to be had as well (try the sex pistols spicy pizza)..Ice cold bevies as well. Go on , you know it makes sense. Next Thurday (25th) then ???

Haven't consulted the Missus but I'm pretty sure we're in!

CB

Ok you twisted my arm and we will be there

CB

Austhaied, I can't make the next one, but I'd definitely be in for a night out there in 3 weeks time once I get back to CM. A good band, a good venue and good company. Cheers.

I wont be here then, but I'm sure some of the other lads / lassies will be there.

Cheers. :o

I am heading in fairly soon and will be waiting for my first beer at about 9pm for the warm up band then the Rays.

I wonder if there is anyone out there in the know as to when is the CD coming out for sale/signing/critical review?

CB