Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the first to say that it was a kick! Good food, great music fun people and I got to put a few more faces to names like realthaideal, crowboy, meatysweetball. Not to mention how much fun it always is to spend time with Austhiad, Chas and foxy Rochelle, McKinky and I even got to meet a few new friends.

Should my designated driver have been driving if he couldn't find his car when we stumbled out of that lesbian bar at 5am? Not mentioning any names, of course. :o

Let me be the first to say that it was a kick! Good food, great music fun people and I got to put a few more faces to names like realthaideal, crowboy, meatysweetball. Not to mention how much fun it always is to spend time with Austhiad, Chas and foxy Rochelle, McKinky and I even got to meet a few new friends.

Should my designated driver have been driving if he couldn't find his car when we stumbled out of that lesbian bar at 5am? Not mentioning any names, of course. :D

No he shouldn't have... :bah::D :D :o

Great night last night. The Tonic Rays unplugged were fantastic.Nice one guys.

Lesbian bar...Sorry....it wasn't me :D ..Don't know what your talking about..You have the right to remain silent..

I think mchandbagstrap is still there.. :bah:

I too had a great night - the music was good, or at least what I could hear of it over the noisy bunch of reprobates in the back corner :o

I also had a cheeseburger there for a late breakfast/dinner thing. They make a seriously good burger well worth trying out.

Oh my! Me head's still not straight. Sure I had a day going around town and working on some projects, but the brain is still a little slow. Great night last night with the boys and even a couple ladies. Very nice to meet new people, and then get to know a few more even better. Good call gathering the folks around, Austhaied. Happy belated b'day to McSpicy, and go Dhamma living! Great night of spot on music, good conversation, and lots of laughs. And for tonight...sleep early is the plan.

What a bunch of girls you lot are - I fronted back up to Tuskers for a few drinks and then went back to collect the girl and on the way was captured and held against my will at another bar to finally make my escape sometime in the early hours of this morning.

was a good night both nights

CB

Yep top night indeed. Never seen the Tonic Rays before - they were excellent. Marie really is a quality vocalist - very impressive

Have to mention the burgers again easily the best in CM.

Thanks all for a great night.

Yep, my feelings exactly, MB. Sorry about the spelling of your darling wife's name - I had a girlfriend a while back by the name of Rochelle and my speedy out-of-control fingers just automatically punched it out.

Forgot to mention Marie's vocalizations plus likely other memory lapses. Perhaps I should start drinking?

As to Crowboy's crowing, we saw the trash guys flinging his carcass into a garbage truck at 5am and agreed that is where he belongs. If that is his idea of a good night.. well.. you get the picture... :o

Rumor has it that the Drunken Flower will soon be closing, as the property-owner has a recently-graduated daughter who wants to "do something" with the place... reckon the resident NGhO denizens have put a bit of a blemish on the prestigious Nimmanhaemin Soi 1 and she wants to clean the place up?

Perhaps then the gang's appearance was the Flower swan song.

Thanks for the censuring, by the way... guess that sort of local gossip is best saved for print media like Chiang Mai Mail, Expat Newsletter and City Life. :o

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Rumor has it that the Drunken Flower will soon be closing, as the property-owner has a recently-graduated daughter who wants to "do something" with the place... reckon the resident NGhO denizens have put a bit of a blemish on the prestigious Nimmanhaemin Soi 1 and she wants to clean the place up?

If by rumour you mean the one on the big notice in the Drunken Flower that announces they are moving to new premises then you are correct. This is not new nor is it unknown, it is something that the owners have planned.

Sorry to upset your conspiracy theory

regards

CB

If by rumour you mean the one on the big notice in the Drunken Flower that announces they are moving to new premises then you are correct. This is not new nor is it unknown, it is something that the owners have planned.

Sorry to upset your conspiracy theory

regards

CB

No worries at all, thanks for the clarification! ...but (involuntarily) relocating from the most-enviable Soi 1 address should be somewhat disconcerting for the DF loyalists and neighbourly drunks.

Re the Drunken Flower, I believe the stated motive for moving is correct, the owner has other plans. Otherwise Tai (who owns the business - it's the DF's 3rd location so far, the new one will be the 4th) would most likely never leave that funky old house and garden.

The grand closing party for the current DF is Dec 15, and the Tonic Rays, I hear, will be playing in full battle armor (don't have to worry about upsetting the neighbours since Tai's leaving). The last day of operations at the current location is Dec 21st, or so I've been told.

The DF's new location will be somewhere on Soi 17 Nimanhemin.

To me, it would be wonderful if there were a really good wine bar in town. Do we have one, in anyone's opinion, humble or otherwise? I would love to be able to stop off and have a glass, a good sized glass but still just a glass (or two), of really good -- there's that word again -- or even excellent wine, that one could select out of, say five to ten wines that were available at that time for choosing.

:o I could TOTally get behind that!!

never been to the chaingmai one , maybe i will do a meeting up with my car club and check it out ,

but i like MO'c MO'L

and ROADSIDE behind payap uni .

i only been to KMKF ( maesot )

Mo'c Mo'l is to me one of the most artsy-feeling, relaxing spaces on earth. Props. Now I just gotta find the roadside...

[like #1 Bar in Soi 1, Loy Kroh - Freddy who owns it has successfully run bars in Belgium and he knows how to do it well here. The girls are good and have the main function of serving drinks. It can get crowded and noisy but has an atmosphere. It sometimes goes through a cycle with the girls pushing for lady drinks but for the most part once they know

A buddy and I tried the #1 Bar about two months back...after about an hour or so we were hit with a bill for 2400Baht. had several ladies drinks on it ranging from 300-500 baht. we both managed two bars in Angeles and don't buy ladies drinks...Never going back...

A buddy and I tried the #1 Bar about two months back...after about an hour or so we were hit with a bill for 2400Baht. had several ladies drinks on it ranging from 300-500 baht. we both managed two bars in Angeles and don't buy ladies drinks...Never going back Sorry about the reply above.. not an it guy and couldn't figure out how the reply quote thingy works

Im really surprised to hear about that at the number 1 bar...i would have said thats one of the bars where it wont happen...never had any such problems there or been asked to buy lady drinks. Always thought is was more chilled out place than most loi kroh bars, never pushy

A buddy and I tried the #1 Bar about two months back...after about an hour or so we were hit with a bill for 2400Baht. had several ladies drinks on it ranging from 300-500 baht. we both managed two bars in Angeles and don't buy ladies drinks...Never going back Sorry about the reply above.. not an it guy and couldn't figure out how the reply quote thingy works

Im really surprised to hear about that at the number 1 bar...i would have said thats one of the bars where it wont happen...never had any such problems there or been asked to buy lady drinks. Always thought is was more chilled out place than most loi kroh bars, never pushy

:o Me too. I also am a regular to no. 1 bar and have never had a problem with the girls pushing for lady drinks. Always a friendly place to relax, play pool and enjoy having a drink or three with old or new faces farang or thai. And the odd lady drink i have bought have only been 80-100 baht.

:D Me too. I regularly visit the no.1 bar and have never found the girls to be pushy for lady drinks and the occassional time i have bought one its only been 80-100 baht. Always somewhere to relax,play pool and have a beer or three with old and new faces. One of my favourite bars maybe only second to Tuskers to always enjoy a good time :o

Sooo suprised i posted this twice

Edited by princealbert

i stopped going there after being hassled for drinks several times. first time was this girl who made chicken noises, would tease you and squeeze a drink out of you. she would gladly say "khop khun kaa" and move on the the other person she hasnt finished her drink with. few rounds and she'll come back to you for another drink. and they aint drinking beer but cocktails. second time i went there, she came over and asked me if i missed her, i politely told her "no" and asked her to f&^k off.

after a year or so, gave no. 1 another try and there i was being hassled to more lady drinks. not from one, but one after another. i seriously don't see the reasoning of a "relaxed and hassle free atmosphere" there at No. 1. am sure u guys refused many ladies drinks there for them not to bother you anymore. lets be honest here. cause every dam_n new customers surely gets hassled.

a good place to drink? Mad Dogs and Tuskers. and some of the other decent Thai restaurants and pubs around town

Cheers

TB

[like #1 Bar in Soi 1, Loy Kroh - Freddy who owns it has successfully run bars in Belgium and he knows how to do it well here. The girls are good and have the main function of serving drinks. It can get crowded and noisy but has an atmosphere. It sometimes goes through a cycle with the girls pushing for lady drinks but for the most part once they know

A buddy and I tried the #1 Bar about two months back...after about an hour or so we were hit with a bill for 2400Baht. had several ladies drinks on it ranging from 300-500 baht. we both managed two bars in Angeles and don't buy ladies drinks...Never going back...

Bunta - the cocktails at #1 top out at 120baht so to get lady drinks for 300-500baht doesn't make sense unless you are buying 5 or 6 at a time? I know that's possible having done the same with tequila shots before I had to fly back to Oz one time, 6 rounds of 6 shots - ahhh flying with a tequila hangover :o

Ok assuming you didn't do something that irresponsible and only had a couple of drinks yourself and maybe a few for the ladies. The single thing you should have done is checked the bill and asked the cashier or Avon (the Floor Manager) to check the bill and why it was much more than you expected. If Freddy (the owner) or Joy (his wife) would have sorted out the situation. As experienced bar managers you will know the process of complaint resolution.

I have seen a relatively recent incident where a table of guys objected to an extra lady drink being put on their tab. It was a silly and unfortunate thing that happened. A girl was sitting at the table with them and then got up to say hello to another customer. The table ordered another round of beers and lady drinks for the girls. The staff included the girl who was no longer sitting with them. The guys objected - paid the bill and walked out. Rightly so in my opinion to complain and I spoke with Avon afterwards saying that it was a stupid mistake. They would have happily stayed all night and had a very healthy appetite but instead took their custom elsewhere.

Mistakes do happen and it is up to the bar to correct them. That said I do enjoy the #1 - not that I drink much anymore :D but keep an eye on your spending. It is easy to get caught up in the moment.

I suggest you give them another try and put the experience down to bad luck

CB

btw - I edited the post above where you tried to reply and ran into problems with the quote function.

All that you say makes sense but NONE of it applies in this situation.. Never bought even ONE ladies drink, hardly even spoke to any of the girls... Definately made a complaint to the cashier with no help...owners weren't there and probably explains quite a bit.hard to get caught up in the moment with only three beers and not being new to the trade I simply paid in full without too much of a stink but did ley them know it wasn't appreciated and again paid in full. I'm extremly positive about the two ladies drinks for 300 and the other was 500B .My theory is that since the owner/owners weren't around a little fast money could be made. They only get me once when that happens. Also I rarely drink myself but do enjoy an occasional black beer or something close.....

All that you say makes sense but NONE of it applies in this situation.. Never bought even ONE ladies drink, hardly even spoke to any of the girls... Definately made a complaint to the cashier with no help...owners weren't there and probably explains quite a bit.hard to get caught up in the moment with only three beers and not being new to the trade I simply paid in full without too much of a stink but did ley them know it wasn't appreciated and again paid in full. I'm extremly positive about the two ladies drinks for 300 and the other was 500B .My theory is that since the owner/owners weren't around a little fast money could be made. They only get me once when that happens. Also I rarely drink myself but do enjoy an occasional black beer or something close.....

This is really mystefying - and wrong that they did it. Haven't had it done to me in any bar let alone #1. If I see Freddy I will mention it to him.

There are plenty of other places in town to try - have a wander up to Tuskers, they are a sponsor of TV and a very nice couple. I think they try harder to overcome the handicap of being English. You will most likely find a TV poster having a quiet beer or two around the place. Nice bar, good food, great pool table, and none of the hassles of "hey you hansum man - buy me a drink". Tuskers has Beer Lao dark if you are interested.

CB

Do you meen you payed in full including the lady drinks you said you never had? if so, why would you do that? i wouldnt even consider paying for them if i never had them.

Just my way of staying out of trouble...better to live and learn. Seen the same thing happen here in SE Asia many times in many bars. Things CAN AND DO get ugly and out of hand very quickly. Took many years for me to learn this. My temper is or was very quick. Too much for my own good!!Now I'm older and somewhat disabled. Still 6' 1" and about 320 lbs and have left several people unconsious over not much in my past and consider wiser moves now. Doesn't mean I always respond like a gimp though....