Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

Tuskers? Virtually no parking. Lousy location. Closed during the day. Rarely a crowd, in fact on occasions rarely anyone. Staff more interested in talking amoungst themselves than serving customers. And yet another quiz night in an attempt to attract customers.

The post was asking about best bars in Chiang Mai, but I suppose some people just can't be positive.

Judging by the response to the the unofficial Thai Visa get together this Friday it's clear to see that quite a few members of this forum are not only fans of the place but also friends of the owners. If you are aware of that, as you surely must be, then why would you take it upon yourself to make such a post? Something funny there? Hidden agenda maybe? or just plain rude and ignorant?

I'm new to forums,and I haven't quite figured what they're all about yet.

I don't really know why nobody seems to reveal there identify in a forum like this but maybe your type of comments explain that. It's so easy to be rude, ignorant , and insensitive when nobody knows who you are. Is this the adult version of shouting out at the cinema when the lights are out?

I simply used my name as a member sign on, which seemed obvious to me. In fact I've always used my name when it was asked for, so why shouldn't I here? I wouldn't inflict a photo of myself upon others so I don't have an AVATAR (is that the correct word for the image that I can add to my profile), but maybe in the future, if I can find something appropriate that reflects my personality I'll post one. I see that you obviously did.

Don't worry Kevin, be assured that as a 'newbie' you will receive lots of comments as I did, inferring that newbies aren't entitled to voice their opinion or make criticisms.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so easy to be rude, ignorant , and insensitive when nobody knows who you are. Is this the adult version of shouting out at the cinema when the lights are out?

:o:D :D

That's a classic, but very true . I for one wouldn't dream of saying anything on here, that I wouldn't say in person.

Sorry can't comment on the subject matter as never been to most of the bars mentioned.

Don't worry Kevin, be assured that as a 'newbie' you will receive lots of comments as I did, inferring that newbies aren't entitled to voice their opinion or make criticisms.

I'm certainly not worried.

I was merely pointing out that the original post was asking for positive information, but the reply was accentuating the negative. So, he was not answering the original question and probably irritating a fair few posters on this forum. What was his point I wonder? Like a lot of others on this site, I think Chas and his wife have done a great job at Tuskers. I'm sure they'd like to be busier on some nights, but it is a new business and they certainly can't be faulted, for their efforts. It looks to me like they're headed in the right direction. Good luck to them, I say.

I'm not sure what a newbie is. I'm not new to reading this forum. I've glanced at it occasionally over the years but as you can see I never really figured it out? Plenty of amusing and informative comments and an equal amount of boring and negative comments. A reflection on life, I supose. I'm also not new to Chiang Mai - I may even fall into the 'old hands' category??

Actually, I only registered here because I wanted to contact the guy asking about Tennis, and he hasn't replied yet!! Anyone for tennis?

Tuskers? Virtually no parking. Lousy location. Closed during the day. Rarely a crowd, in fact on occasions rarely anyone. Staff more interested in talking amoungst themselves than serving customers. And yet another quiz night in an attempt to attract customers.

The post was asking about best bars in Chiang Mai, but I suppose some people just can't be positive.

Judging by the response to the the unofficial Thai Visa get together this Friday it's clear to see that quite a few members of this forum are not only fans of the place but also friends of the owners. If you are aware of that, as you surely must be, then why would you take it upon yourself to make such a post? Something funny there? Hidden agenda maybe? or just plain rude and ignorant?

I don't really know why nobody seems to reveal there identify in a forum like this but maybe your type of comments explain that. It's so easy to be rude, ignorant , and insensitive when nobody knows who you are. Is this the adult version of shouting out at the cinema when the lights are out?

I simply used my name as a member sign on, which seemed obvious to me. In fact I've always used my name when it was asked for, so why shouldn't I here? I wouldn't inflict a photo of myself upon others so I don't have an AVATAR (is that the correct word for the image that I can add to my profile), but maybe in the future, if I can find something appropriate that reflects my personality I'll post one. I see that you obviously did.

Simply stating the facts according to what I have observed. Nothing spiteful or nasty intended.

Chas and Rachel are nice people and I wish them good luck in their endeavour, but I do think the tide is against them.

Are you related to Mike Hunt?

"but I do think the tide is against them"

I have a couple of friends, who are in the restaurant and bar business. What I was told, indeed things are going very badly for most of those businesses at the moment. It seems for most it's the worst november ever.

Las Vegas has to be the worst bar in Chiang Mai! :o

Yea, but it has been one of the worst bars in Chiang Mai far, far longer than any other drinking establishment in the city. In fact the only other establishment that seems to have been around for that long is maybe Darets.

Been here over 7 years and used to like making the rounds to a few drinking holes every now and then. My favorite was the Bunny Club which was well run right up until the owner Hans took a fateful plunge off a mountain one day. Place slowly eroded and I think it is now gone. Cest la vie.

I was looking forward to checking out Tuskers, but like another poster, couldn't find anywhere to park and gave up. The owners might be great people but what were they thinking when they picked out that location? The amount of business they are likely losing could easily be the difference between making it or not. I wish them well but they'll have to do it without my business.

What would be great would be a nice little place somewhere south of the city down Hang Dong road in the vicinity of Tesco or so. I know plenty of TVers live in this area like myself and it would be refreshing to have a place to meet at that is closer to home, along with a place to park the car. If anyone ever decides to open up such a place, you could count me in as a regular and I'm sure there would be quite a few others. If I were a bit younger I might give it a go, but these days I'd rather just be a patron.

I think that BigMac was simply stating his opinion. He is certainly entitled and in fact encouraged to do so. What may be my favourite bar may not be yours or his. The intention of this thread is to put up comments on members' favourite bars. I am sure Chas and Rachele are aware of the parking limitations at Tuskers if only because they need to park their pickup there each day :D

There are certainly fans of Tuskers and it is ONE of my favourites but it isn't my sole watering hole. I go there fairly regularly for a beer or two but I also go to Number 1, the Irish, Changers and Bangers :o, the Angel down at the Peak Area. I have a few other places I visit such as the Pub and even the odd bar in the Arcade.

Welcome to the forum. They aren't hard to figure out - find a topic that interests you and go for it. The CM forum is friendly and pretty laid back. We can be a bit clannish and protective of what we perceive is ours but that's pretty much how we are in real life. There are some great people here and a wealth of knowledge for the asking

It is forum policy to use an ID that is different to your real name. It isn't a requirement and anyone may use their own name if they so wish. There are few members who choose like you to identify themself on line. In a town like Chiang Mai because many of us meet socially we get to know each other by real as well as ID names - for some reason I get "so your The Crow Boy". It is common for us to know the person by their actual name but to call eachother by our "nicks" which are our IDs.

Many of us have come from countries where nicknames are part of our social culture - I have been know as "Crowie" for most of my adult life and is part of my identity. Most people who know my first name would assume Crow is my surname but it simply refers to the state in Oz where I come from. Avatars are the images that most people use under their name. They serve no real purpose but are commonly attached as a visual reference. There are a lot of sites out there in cyberland that have photographs and images that you can use. One day you will likely find one that suits you. Some people stick to the same one, some change them regularly and some don't bother to get one. They aren't needed but most members use them.

have fun and welcome to the forum

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

Been here over 7 years and used to like making the rounds to a few drinking holes every now and then. My favorite was the Bunny Club which was well run right up until the owner Hans took a fateful plunge off a mountain one day. Place slowly eroded and I think it is now gone. Cest la vie.

The Bunny on the bottom end of Loi Kroh hasn't gone - it was taken over by a Canadian guy and renamed the "Hungry Beaver". Now it is mainly a massage place but it still has a bar in the front. I go past it on the way to the Guitarman (about 30m further down, next to the White Lotus). The Bunny used to be a fun bar and yes fell on hard times but seems to be coming back again. That area down there to Charoen Prahtet is always "on the wrong end of Loi Kroh" and goes through cycles where they either seem to do well or fall into rack and ruin.

What would be great would be a nice little place somewhere south of the city down Hang Dong road in the vicinity of Tesco or so. I know plenty of TVers live in this area like myself and it would be refreshing to have a place to meet at that is closer to home, along with a place to park the car. If anyone ever decides to open up such a place, you could count me in as a regular and I'm sure there would be quite a few others. If I were a bit younger I might give it a go, but these days I'd rather just be a patron.

I don't live out that way but there have been a few places over the years that have started up and fallen away because the market wasn't sufficient to make it worthwhile. I think however that with the larger number of farung moving out that way onto the estates it could now work. However I think it would have to be on the side of the road coming into town to catch the punters intending on coming into town.

CB

The Bunny on the bottom end of Loi Kroh hasn't gone - it was taken over by a Canadian guy and renamed the "Hungry Beaver". Now it is mainly a massage place but it still has a bar in the front.

There have been several other Bunny Bars over the years including one on the way to the airport which was around for many years and might have been the first Go-Go bar in Chiang Mai and another one in the Night Bazzar where the D2 Hotel is now.

By the way, the girls at the Thirsty Beaver are all trained in massage and pretty oblivious to the rules on Thai Visa! :o

The Bunny on the bottom end of Loi Kroh hasn't gone - it was taken over by a Canadian guy and renamed the "Hungry Beaver". Now it is mainly a massage place but it still has a bar in the front.

There have been several other Bunny Bars over the years including one on the way to the airport which was around for many years and might have been the first Go-Go bar in Chiang Mai and another one in the Night Bazzar where the D2 Hotel is now.

Hmmm yes you are correct. I remember the one from the bars that were on the site of the D2 - before they got pushed over to the Arcade. The first Go Go in Chiang Mai would probably have to have been Ginny's or the Long Horn down on Sithiwongse. They were there when I arrived in '78 and had been there for a few years already. The Long Horn was on the corner of Soi one and had its own "hotel". You could also include a now remodelled bar in that area that used to have "rooms" above the bar. It wasn't a go go per se but some of the girls put on quite a show :D

By the way, the girls at the Thirsty Beaver are all trained in massage and pretty oblivious to the rules on Thai Visa! :o

I have no idea to what you are referring :D and NO you don't need to explain it on this forum.

CB

I was looking forward to checking out Tuskers, but like another poster, couldn't find anywhere to park and gave up. The owners might be great people but what were they thinking when they picked out that location? The amount of business they are likely losing could easily be the difference between making it or not. I wish them well but they'll have to do it without my business.

Mike (yes original burger Mike) opened up a burger joint down on Hang Dong Rd. just up from Kad Farang/Rimping. Made some excellent burgers and sandwiches (some beer) and was just starting to get regulars in, as well as the most important make it / brake it clients the Thais!

But true to his "famous" patience and temper, one day he decided to shut it down, after only 2 months. Interestingly enough, he had just broken even but apparently that was not enough. Some of us living down here on south side of town, who ate and drank there in this short period, were very unhappy about this. If he had stayed opened he would have had a steady clientele now, and yes…… been able to sell it to some other person, just like Mike's and Miguel's.

Here are some interesting numbers for anyone to crunch on thinking about opening up a joint down on the south side of town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai_Metropolitan_Area ):

Nr. Amphoe Population Notes

1. Mueang Chiang Mai 249,118

2. Hang Dong 57,378

3. Saraphi 75,365

4. San Pa Tong 77,899

5. Doi Saket 51,902

6. Mae Wang 7,301

7. San Kam Phaeng 68,573

8. San Sai 61,172

9. Mae Rim 40,429

10. Mae On 3,011

South side of town: 210,642 (and who knows how many foreigners there)

Edited by PlaShadow

Mike (yes original burger Mike) opened up a burger joint down on Hang Dong Rd. just up from Kad Farang/Rimping. Made some excellent burgers and sandwiches (some beer) and was just starting to get regulars in, as well as the most important make it / brake it clients the Thais!

But true to his "famous" patience and temper, one day he decided to shut it down, after only 2 months. Interestingly enough, he had just broken even but apparently that was not enough. Some of us living down here on south side of town, who ate and drank there in this short period, were very unhappy about this. If he had stayed opened he would have had a steady clientele now, and yes…… been able to sell it to some other person, just like Mike's and Miguel's.

Here are some interesting numbers for anyone to crunch on thinking about opening up a joint down on the south side of town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai_Metropolitan_Area ):

Nr. Amphoe Population Notes

1. Mueang Chiang Mai 249,118 2. Hang Dong 57,378 3. Saraphi 75,365

4. San Pa Tong 77,899 5. Doi Saket 51,902 6. Mae Wang 7,301 7. San Kam Phaeng 68,573 8. San Sai 61,172 9. Mae Rim 40,429 10. Mae On 3,011 South side of town: 210,642 (and who knows how many foreigners there)

The majority of Thai people living outside the city are on lower wages. Can't see too many of them spending a days wages on a greasy hamburger. Why open a joint to cater for a handful of foreigners?

Guys before this goes on any further note this is Places to DRINK in Chiang Mai not eat burgers. The food section is just down the hall between "Arguments" and "where can I buy a mousetrap in Chiang Mai". Let's keep this on topic.

thanks

CB

Guys before this goes on any further note this is Places to DRINK in Chiang Mai not eat burgers. The food section is just down the hall between "Arguments" and "where can I buy a mousetrap in Chiang Mai"

LOL. :o

I have a few other places I visit such as the Pub and even the odd bar in the Arcade.

The Arcade? You mean the main bus station? I know there's some karaoke shops around there, but nothing that looked very cheerful?

What would be great would be a nice little place somewhere south of the city down Hang Dong road in the vicinity of Tesco or so. I know plenty of TVers live in this area like myself and it would be refreshing to have a place to meet at that is closer to home, along with a place to park the car. If anyone ever decides to open up such a place, you could count me in as a regular

Well, seems you're in luck!! :D At Kad Farang off the Hand Dong Road, inside the Kad Farang area, turn right then left around the corner is Osteria Wald; small, a mix of (Western) snacks and drinks, wines etc. Every Thursday they do a gettogether in the early evening that includes a snack-buffet (some nice imported stuff) for I think 300 baht p.p. Has a very good crowd some Thursdays.

That's actually Hang Dong district proper; I think when in the Tesco area you're pretty much in town because by then you're only 2.5 kms from Thapae Gate.

[ Edit: Added quote from Crowboy to make it clear I wasn't Laughing Out Loud at putting down special Olympic's participants. ]

Edited by chanchao

Yea, but it has been one of the worst bars in Chiang Mai far, far longer than any other drinking establishment in the city. In fact the only other establishment that seems to have been around for that long is maybe Darets.

Hmm.. now there's a challenge: What is actually the oldest but still running pub type establishment in Chiang Mai?

It's okay if they (also) serve(d) food, but alcoholic beverages need to be available.

Doesn't have to have (or have had) a Farang bias; any place will do. The place may have changed owners that's ok, but it needs to have been continuously operating in the current location.

Hmm.. now there's a challenge: What is actually the oldest but still running pub type establishment in Chiang Mai?

It's okay if they (also) serve(d) food, but alcoholic beverages need to be available.

Doesn't have to have (or have had) a Farang bias; any place will do. The place may have changed owners that's ok, but it needs to have been continuously operating in the current location.

I was thinking about the the other night and the one I thought of was Darets, which I think must be one of, if not original guesthouse catering for foreigners in Chiang Mai. Also The Las Vegas, and maybe Johns - can't remember what it was called before.

Also the Bavarian restaurant/bar just over the Loi Kroh from the night bazaar that opened in the mid/late 70's.

Ummm I think I could pick a couple of the roadside bars on the Mai Rim road we used to stop off at on the way back to the Army Camp in '78. I think some of them still have the same "girls" working the bar - probably with their grand daughters now serving drinks and customers :D

UG, Maejo Man, you guys have been here pretty well continuously since about then what do you think?

CB

I have a few other places I visit such as the Pub and even the odd bar in the Arcade.

The Arcade? You mean the main bus station? I know there's some karaoke shops around there, but nothing that looked very cheerful?

The Arcade is the group of bars off Loi Kroh heading down to the Night Bazaar - between The Saloon and kampaeng din. Apparently it is near Star 6 whatever that is :o

[ Edit: Added quote from Crowboy to make it clear I wasn't Laughing Out Loud at putting down special Olympic's participants. ]

Well I am very pleased about that you were laughing about me and not those less fortunate than ourselves.

CB

The Arcade is the group of bars off Loi Kroh heading down to the Night Bazaar - between The Saloon and kampaeng din. Apparently it is near Star 6 whatever that is

Ah okay. Seemed quite a lot of people there 2 days ago. Good to see it's picking up.

(BTW I never heard of Star 6 either. )

Well I am very pleased about that you were laughing about me and not those less fortunate than ourselves.

I'm laughing WITH you, not about you. :o And you're pretty special to me too. :D

Doesn't have to have (or have had) a Farang bias; any place will do. The place may have changed owners that's ok, but it needs to have been continuously operating in the current location

I was thinking about the the other night and the one I thought of was Darets, which I think must be one of, if not original guesthouse catering for foreigners in Chiang Mai. Also The Las Vegas, and maybe Johns - can't remember what it was called before.

Also the Bavarian restaurant/bar just over the Loi Kroh from the night bazaar that opened in the mid/late 70's.

UG, Maejo Man, you guys have been here pretty well continuously since about then what do you think?

CB

John's Place is a relative newcomer. It opened originally as the Cosy Corner after it's namesake in Bangkok, which is now long gone. It used to be the old Oasis bar.

There are many older establishments, but one gets so used to seeing them, that you don't tend to notice when they disappear.

One that many forget is the old "Classic Karaoke" on the inside of the klong at Suan Bokhardt, a Chiangmai icon. Then there's the "Orivia" that has been in Sridonchai for eons.

Las Vegas has to be up there along with Star Six. Then there's the Bierstube on Moonmuang that's been on the same site with the same owners for around thirty years.

Linda bar on Loi Kroh was the only bar there years ago, then came Daniel bar, now the Marin Bar. Then of course there's the "Blue Moon" (now Mandalay) that has been there for ages in one guise or another.

Spotlight is another, and of course the oldest of the lot, but not really a bar, is the Gymkhana Club....the list goes on....

I used to stay at the Montri in the early 70s and it had a grotty closed in place where the coffee shop now is with folk singing. I can't remember any other bars on Moon Muang at that time. I hung out at The Pub when Mike Tinker owned it, I think that would have been mid 70s.

Chiangmai improves with time.

It used to be the old Oasis bar.

Remember when the owner of the Oasis Bar locked himself upstairs and someone - his wife? - had to keep him supplied with a bucket and pulley that he would pull up by rope, filled with food and drink? :o

Did he (RIP) lock himself in or did the Dragon Lady lock him up?

The Arcade is the group of bars off Loi Kroh heading down to the Night Bazaar - between The Saloon and kampaeng din. Apparently it is near Star 6 whatever that is :o

that would be called the CEC, Chiang Mai Entertainment Center.