BANGKOK
JakeR

Ceiling Insulation Types? Recommendations please?

Can anyone recommend what they know is a good ceiling insulation variety?

-I would like to have a price around 100-150 THB/Sqm.
-With the good R-factor to keep my house cool.
-Also hopefully some sound-dampening (so I cannot always hear everything in the other rooms).

Do a search on this very forum there are topics discussing it at length........see below

SCG R37, 150 mm is what I used.

• Sad 1

Thicker the better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So I read those two threads and thanks for sharing that!

Some say the thicker the better and some said that 2-4 inches is all that is needed. (75 MM is 3 inches). Some are using double that!

I guess if I choose the SCG or some homegrown brand, its okay either way perhaps. But I should look at the R value and maybe double up with dual layers.

One question that did not get answered is about the sound factor. I would like to block out noise carrying between rooms. Does the SCG stuff help with that? When I was at Homepro they said no, but another brand helps. Any thoughts people?

As for the installing: it now costs 200 THB per Sqm at Homepro which is a FORTUNE by Thai labor standards! Last time I checked it was only 150 per Sqm but they increased the price recently.

Therefore I have found a few contractors in Phuket who can do for about half that price or even less. But of course I need to be doing some quality control to make sure they do it right and no fires will eventually break out!

My understanding is that the insulation gets rolled out and the existing wiring should be re-positioned above that? Ideally of course, the wires will be in yellow pipes already! A problem if they are not, right?

Also holes should be made in the insulation where the light fixtures etc will be. Yes? Even for LED lights that produce less heat?

I have a suspended ceiling so installers will need to cut holes for the suspension wires or place the insulation roles between them.

If I understand correctly, the proper installation will require that they also tape up the cut insulation batts to re-seal them or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for your advice guys!

8 hours ago, JakeR said:

One question that did not get answered is about the sound factor. I would like to block out noise carrying between rooms.

All ceiling insulation will reduce sound transmission through the ceiling to some degree.

Most noise transmission between rooms is not through the ceiling.

There is a lot of information regarding sound transmission available DAGS and you will find it.

Mass is usually your friend, AAC is also good.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Sad 1

Heat rises. In a tropical climates you don't insulate ceilings. Actually in any climate. We insulate roofs and walls to keep heat in. Those 'stay cool' products are a scam.

You want to keep humid air out by putting a vapor barrier on the exterior.

Do you have a condo? You can install drywall on resilient channeling will reduce noise. Same with the walls.

Electricity is so cheap in Thailand you don't worry about AC bills. Insulation will likely cause mold problems.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Insulation in ceilings works just as well in a tropical climate. It just has a different purpose.

No we don't. Insulation is designed to stop heat transfer. It doesn't care which way the transfer happens.

Ovens are insulated. 

Fridges are insulated.

Think, tropical house = fridge

house in Greenland = oven

Does that make things clear?

No they are not. They reduce AC bills and reduce sound transmission, neither of these are a scam.

That is not the attitude of many here. Should you be wasteful just because somthing is cheap?

Why? Many, or even most users of insulation also use AC and that keeps humidity down.

Yes think of a refrigerator. What happens when you turn off the frig? It needs to be vented or it will quickly turns to mold. Are you going to run your AC 365 days a year 24/7? What if you leave?  Even AC's are not that efficient. Also a frig is a continual insulated wall.

The concrete walls need to dry out, concrete absorbs moisture. You have to ask yourself why so many Thai building have mold.

It is not the heat what is the problem it is the humidity. AC works by removing humidity not heat.  Heat and humidity will always rise even if you have AC and fans running. If you have insulation up there you are asking for mold problems, it needs to rise up and dispersal through the roof. The roof blocks the sun which shades you house and keeps it cool. Many Thai building hardly have a roof or even exterior water proofing.

In cold climate the heating drys out the building for 8 months a year. You keep the heat in with insulation and vapour barriers. The summer is not so hot or humid like Thailand.

The best thing you can do is keep you house light and dry with lots of air gaps so things can dry out. Have drywall in the interior with a gap.

Keep the moisture out from the ground and walls with exterior vapor barriers. Most building in Thailand have a wet slab from the ground which pushes a lot of moisture into the building, AC is not enough to remove, worse in the monsoon. So that is most important way to reduce energy and humidity in a building, is have a raised bungalow or rubber/foam barrier under the slab in the ground.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Don Chance said:

It is not the heat what is the problem it is the humidity. AC works by removing humidity not heat

Do get yourself an education, or even if you have one, stop inventing rubbish.

AC transfers HEAT from inside to outside, removing heat. As cool air holds less moisture than hot air it also removes that by either pumping it outside or by gravity.

It can also function in dehumidifying mode, though that usually also removes heat.

If you have insulation up there you are asking for mold problems, it (moisture) needs to rise up and dispersal through the roof.

More BS. How dose moisture disperse through metal roofs?

Most building in Thailand have a wet slab from the ground which pushes a lot of moisture into the building, AC is not enough to remove, worse in the monsoon.

More BS my AC (small) in my old house was perfectly adequate to keep the humidity down to between 60% & 70% during both the hot and wet seasons, it did not run 24/7 probably 8 or so hours a day.

The concrete walls need to dry out

That is true after building.

concrete absorbs moisture.

BS it only absorbs water if it is wet and has no coating to prevent that. 

You have heard that even Thai people paint their walls haven't you? This lets water run off the walls easily, or didn't you notice that?

Yes think of a refrigerator. What happens when you turn off the frig?

My fridges turn off quite often 😉 (when they get down to the set point)

Are you going to run your AC 365 days a year 24/7?

No I'm not, no I don't, there is no need as just like my fridge it only needs to run some of the time to either reduce the temperature or humidity in the house

FYI the humidity during the last rainy season (there is no monsoon in northeast Thailand) inside the house was around 60%~70% whilst outside it was 80%~100% our AC ran at night in one room and occasionally during the day in our main room.

Also a frig is a continual insulated wall.

The short form is fridge, 

you do realise that the talk of fridges and ovens was so you would understand how insulation works, as from your posting you seem to have little grasp of the principles.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alan grice said:

Where can You buy Irish Insulation in Thailand.?.

If your in Bkk you can get insulation from a place on the left 22 turning before KFC. 

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

More BS. How dose moisture disperse through metal roofs?

how-roof-ventilation-works-min.jpg

On 9/29/2019 at 10:45 AM, Don Chance said:

Heat rises. In a tropical climates you don't insulate ceilings. Actually in any climate. We insulate roofs and walls to keep heat in. Those 'stay cool' products are a scam.

Tell me why people in Australia insulate their ceilings then, when it gets hotter there than in Thailand ? The ceiling insulation is not a one way thing .. in cold climates it does keep warm air inside the room, but in hot climates it also stops hot air coming down through the ceiling.

• Like 2