Do I need a visa to help gf sell food

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Don't give stupid advices to people when you don't know how it really works in Thailand. I just wrote in a post about a friend getting ratted out for just carrying food from his car to a bar in Pattaya. Have you EVER seen a farang helping out in a local market? Everything is about where you're staying. 

Well now that you mentioned Pattaya, it all makes sense.

No offence, but you would have some of the absolute worst in neighbours in that place. both Thai and farang.

And yes, desperate people in business trying to claw at any advantage they can over the competition.

Absolutely no way id be risking doing any sort of visible work in that environment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Many Years Ago in Pattaya,A Friend had a Bar & He Served a " Pretty " Lady with a glass of Orange Juice.....So What I Hear you say....

Well The " Pretty " Lady was an IO !!!............My Friend then served the next 7 Days in Pattaya Nick.....( NO Nick wasn't an IO )....

You can actually get a wp as a chef.

But you're not allowed to do anything outside the kitchen. 

57 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Every restaurant I go there is a farang serving food... so clearly a lot of dudes to catch for the police.

Where do you eat? I have only been served once in many years by a farang,but he's a friend of mine and just carried the plate 5 meters, but he's well aware of what he can do or not in his restaurant. As a farang you officially need a wp to be allowed to do any task in a restaurant or bar. This is a fact! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 years ago, I often helped my wife with her business. Especially when she was at trade shows and exhibitions in Bangkok, but also in her showroom.

I did it because she was pregnant (sometimes heavy stuff to carry and a lot of standing) and we really needed the money at that time.

I guess it was risky and I did meet and talk with several customers, who worked for the government. Even high up police officers. Some of which became quite good friends and even invited me out at times.

Luckily, I never had problems with it. I think my wife being very visible pregnant did a lot. Many commented that it was great I was helping her.

Today I don’t think I would do the same. And when we later moved and she started a new business, I stayed away... only helping her sometimes with picking up deliveries.

I would recommend not to stay with her at the market. Thailand’s attitude towards foreigners is not the same as it was. Even just a few years ago.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

A tourist visa to Australia specifically mentions work or studying is prohibited. I would imagine most countries are the same.
Not necessarily. A lot of people come to Australia and work in areas where there are labour shortages (e.g. agriculture) and get a visa extension based on this. There are age limitations. Students are allowed to work so many hours a week(I think 25). At my old job If One couldn't do their 25 hrs a friend would do the extra in their name. Regardless Australia has so many different nationalities a foreign illegal worker would not stand out as much as a white person standing in a market in Thailand selling. Thailand's labour laws are based on trying their hardest to not use the enormous pool of available highly skilled foreign labour. That is why most people can't speak English unless they work in a bar.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I could be wrong, I often am but I recall this subject coming up on TV years back and I think someone pulled out a section of the Thai Immigration act that indicated that you (a Farang) could assist your wife in her business without any penalty, (no WP and or business visa required) under what conditions I cannot recall but searching back I could no locate the topic at hand.  

Does anyone recall this topic.............

BTW he did say gf I know, so he might have to marry her to help her out if what I recall is valid.......55555
I read from the Pattaya Expats group IO visit you could talk to customers but not serve or collect money. Even if married you need a WP.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/17/2019 at 5:56 PM, NCC1701A said:

someone will take a photo of the nice Farang sitting next to his girlfriend and put it on Facebook.

the next thing you know immigration is searching their database with facial recognition and moving Heaven and Earth to find you.  

They are extremely petty and desperate for a few photo ops with a farang who has a hair out of place.

Keep a low profile in Thailand at all times!

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, Number 6 said:

Why would you even bother? Seriously. Up at dawn, sit all day in a dirty market. Why don't you pay her b300 for each day and let her hire a family member. Take her somewhere.

Go on a holiday. Sit around a grungy market with *your girlfriend*

Genius

Who are you, his travel agent?

Totally off topic, you have no idea of the girls financial circumstances, or the guys.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:40 PM, Max69xl said:

Where do you eat? I have only been served once in many years by a farang,but he's a friend of mine and just carried the plate 5 meters, but he's well aware of what he can do or not in his restaurant. As a farang you officially need a wp to be allowed to do any task in a restaurant or bar. This is a fact! 

Restaurants where the owners are foreigners and the chef is a foreigner. Not going to give you a list to see the police arrest all of them. It's very common for farangs to serve food, thai people don't know how to smile to customers.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I was at hooters (pattaya) last week and a white chick was pullin beers and serving customers.

Yeah, that's a point, (I thought there was a Russian working in there years ago), I also believe they had a Philippina once too. I am pretty sure in Hooters they would have work permits. Plenty of dancing Russian/ Eastern European girls around.  I wonder what 'non reserved' category they fall under in Hooters.

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, that's a point, (I thought there was a Russian working in there years ago), I also believe they had a Philippina once too. I am pretty sure in Hooters they would have work permits. Plenty of dancing Russian/ Eastern European girls around.  I wonder what 'non reserved' category they fall under in Hooters.

They are not allowed but pay each time the police visits them.

3 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Restaurants where the owners are foreigners and the chef is a foreigner. Not going to give you a list to see the police arrest all of them. It's very common for farangs to serve food, thai people don't know how to smile to customers.

It's not very common for farangs to serve food, especially when it's against the law. Doesn't matter if the owner and/or manager are farang. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Hooters in Pattaya opened 2016. I wouldn't call it years ago. Hooters is a US franchise and if there are non-thai girls working there,then they have wp. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Hooters in Pattaya opened 2016. I wouldn't call it years ago. Hooters is a US franchise and if there are non-thai girls working there,then they have wp. 

So foreigner can get a work permit to serve beer and food in a bar then ?

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

Seems you are visiting your GF for a short while. And the market is nevertheless more important ?

Thinking, thinking, but I do not understand.

If she came to your country, would you take a break from work  ? If no, than you 2 are a good match.

Good luck and be happy, but do not work without WP

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Unless  the farang  has acquired  thai citizenship.

This is a petty remark as the ones above. You cite an exception that proves the rule. Who the hell has or even wants citizenship? Especially after Rama IX has passed.

How pedantic

• Sad 1

On 9/18/2019 at 7:17 PM, Martian said:

Any work, compensated or volunteer requires a work permit in Thailand. Proceed forward without a WP at your own peril.

You might have to define "work". I wonder if, taken to task in court, work has a solid definition regarding what expats can or cannot do, or it's all just bluff. Next thing they'll be arresting me at the gym while having a workout. I'm moving those weights around for free. Am I working if I take out the garbage, vacuum my apartment, do the laundry, wash the dishes, cook etc etc. It's all: work: "activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result". It would be hard to live for a few seconds without performing work.

Maybe immigration use this excuse as an easy way to get rid anyone they want at any time, without proper cause.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So in your world what is the plural of year? 

Technically, "years" could theoretically be "0.25 years". However, colloquially, when we say "years ago" this usually means "several years ago", possibly three but probably longer.