Magnetic card holders told to make the switch to chip card

snoop1130

Magnetic card holders told to make the switch to chip card

By The Nation

800_896161732b58eec.jpg

Siritida Panomwon Na Ayudhya, the Bank of Thailand's Assistant Governor/ Payment Systems Policy and Financial Department, said the central bank in cooperation with the Thai bankers Association, and financial institutes have been urging card holders to change their magnetic cards to chip cards, in order to enhance safety in credit and debit card usage and prevent counterfeit card fraud and skimming.

The switch is expected to be completed this year, given 47 million magnetic cards have already been converted to chip cards, leaving a balance of 20 million.

A magnetic cardholder can show up at all branches of his/her respective bank and financial institution for the replacement on presentation of the individual's ID card, existing magnetic card, and bankbook free of charge.

After January 15, 2020, all magnetic cards will become invalid.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376319

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-17

50 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A magnetic cardholder can show up at all branches of his/her respective bank and financial institution for the replacement on presentation of the individual's ID card, existing magnetic card, and bankbook free of charge.

Might as well before they charge me to renew my perfectly working current card. 

27 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Might as well before they charge me to renew my perfectly working current card. 

Not a bad idea, mine is due soon too. Does somebody know if Kasikorn really in practise does the switch for free, also for farangs? I'm sceptical as usual.

Now if they can all upgrade their POS machines that would be wonderful as well!

Mackro POS machines,doesn't recognize  my USA visa or mastercard .I experienced this with a light fixture company and a optometrist eyeglass shop 

28 minutes ago, riclag said:

Mackro POS machines,doesn't recognize  my USA visa or mastercard .I experienced this with a light fixture company and a optometrist eyeglass shop 

In the Makro's I visit here in the Bangkok area their signs say only Citibank (Thailand) cards are accepted....and specifically it might have to be the Citibank Makro credit card.

https://www.citibank.co.th/en/credit-cards/credit-card-makro-rewards.htm

57 minutes ago, riclag said:

It might also be an issue with your American card (mine, as well).  While the rest of the world implemented a chip-and-PIN technology, kludgy old USA went with a chip-and-signature plan that is far behind the rest of the world.  Those cards won't work in Europe, and don't work in many places in Japan where I currently live. 

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

in order to enhance safety in credit and debit card usage and prevent counterfeit card fraud and skimming.

Pah if it "works"  so well why now is the UK insisting that  you need a mobile  phone where they will send you a  code every time you want to use it, Security, they haven't a  clue.

12 hours ago, Chazar said:

Pah if it "works"  so well why now is the UK insisting that  you need a mobile  phone where they will send you a  code every time you want to use it, Security, they haven't a  clue.

are they really phones will be ringing everywhere all the time

13 hours ago, Pib said:

In the Makro's I visit here in the Bangkok area their signs say only Citibank (Thailand) cards are accepted....and specifically it might have to be the Citibank Makro credit card.

https://www.citibank.co.th/en/credit-cards/credit-card-makro-rewards.htm

All Citibank (Thai) cards will work at Makro. I have used both Citi Royal Orchid Plus Select and Citi Prestige cards. 

However, electric appliances can be paid with any credit card at Makro at a separate cashier (at least in the head branch at Bang Kapi). 

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Not a bad idea, mine is due soon too. Does somebody know if Kasikorn really in practise does the switch for free, also for farangs? I'm sceptical as usual.

I got it for free if i held the same level card as the last time. I went up a bit got a discount and paid 300 whole bahts for a new card. The world was not ending and I am quite happy with my new chipped card. Works great as a creditcard on grab food and air asia and so on. I like it.

15 hours ago, riclag said:

Makro is a low cost wholesaler (mainly) so they only want creditcards that are cheap for them. So they won't and i agree with them. Cash goes so much faster as those idiots with their credit cards.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Go ask the bank... it's quite easy really

1h plus with parking and I have zero trust in Thai banktellers. But thanks to TVF, 20secs of writing and got confirmation that I trust more. That's why I post here, never ever trust a Thai. Especially a bank. Now that I know it's at least supposed to be real, I'll go sacrifice that 1h plus.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:25 PM, Chazar said:

Because they still use the magnetic strip for backward compatibility or if the chips doesn't work. Some fraudster bypass security using cloned card knowing that fact. 

30 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Because they still use the magnetic strip for backward compatibility or if the chips doesn't work. Some fraudster bypass security using cloned card knowing that fact. 

yeah, a  total waste  of  time...........chip n pin was touted to end all credit  card  fraud, instead for  some people now its  going to be impossible as Mobile reception can be a big  issue in my home country, Ive arranged for an e mail to be sent instead with the code

8 minutes ago, Chazar said:

yeah, a  total waste  of  time...........chip n pin was touted to end all credit  card  fraud, instead for  some people now its  going to be impossible as Mobile reception can be a big  issue in my home country, Ive arranged for an e mail to be sent instead with the code

Chip and pin is not vulnerable but it takes time to transition to a new system since most users have 1 or more cards. Meanwhile the cards are still vulnerable until they stop using the magnetic strip completely.

I read that in the US they delayed the adoption of chip and pin because it's more expensive to upgrade the system than the amount of fraud commited per year. 

Archived