Does fat shaming help people lose weight?

snoop1130

Does fat shaming help people lose weight?

_108836771_gettyimages-461448478.jpg

GETTY IMAGES

After US talkshow host Bill Maher called for fat shaming to "make a comeback", fellow host James Corden's impassioned response won widespread support online.

"It's proven that fat shaming only does one thing," he said. "It makes people feel ashamed and shame leads to depression, anxiety and self-destructive behaviour - self-destructive behaviour like overeating."

"If making fun of fat people made them lose weight, there'd be no fat kids in schools."

But does Maher have a point? Almost two thirds of adults in England were overweight or obese in 2017. The NHS recorded 10,660 hospital admissions in 2017/18 where obesity was the primary diagnosis.

Full Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49714697

I think being fat is too accepted.

IE:  Oh, he is just a bear of a man.

Or,

He/she just has a big appetite and loves food haha.

It is more accepted I guess because everyone has to eat.

To me it seems like an addiction issue.  Not being able to control what one puts in their mouth.

Sugar, fat, grease, deep fried too much food I believe are all addicting.  Not much different then drug addicts.

And, it does really add hugely to the cost of medical care throughout the world.  All the obese problems heart, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancers etc lots of health/cost issues related to fatness/obesity.

I am not sure shaming them does anything however.  

I think governments all around the world need to become serious about educating people on at least on what foods they should avoid eating, like white breads, rice, pasta's and opt for the browns, the low in GI ones, white's are loaded with sugars and starches, soft drinks, chips and the other baddies that also loads people up with sugar and hence the weight gain, no exercise, to burn off those extra carbs and you have the couch potatoes.

The sugar junkies of the world, add fast foods, frozen foods high in salts and sugars etc etc and we get used to them because they are quick to serve, heat them up and fill in the stomach and shut those screaming worms up, we crave and we over eat it, water is a great way to fill up the stomach, going clean is the best thing one can do, it's not hard, 3 to 5 small serves a day, once we learn what to eat and what to replace the <deleted> we used to eat with and what it actually does for our bodies, and watch the weight just drop off, add some cardio and light weight training and there is no fatso anymore.

The amounts of money the governments could save on overloaded healthcare systems for diabetes, heart diseases, strokes etc etc could be used elsewhere, like in education on the foods we should avoid at all costs, starting at schools, with school canteens banning any of the baddies, because it's all got too start somewhere, but na, that's too hard, especially here, just saying ????

Im a sugar freak weed smoking pizza cheese munchy junky bachelor that lives alone and hence my diet isnt the best. Im still 17 pounds over and it sucks. The girls in Thermae poke my belly. When I dont shave, they call me santa claus. The only think I can do is keep walking and fighting the urges for ice cream, white bread, cheese, beef, hamburgers, pizza, quesadillas, pudding, khanom, coconut, eggs, rice and so on. 

Thats really my only bitch about being here, trying to lose weight in a world of pastry stands.

I watch Real Time each week and quite enjoyed Bill's take on fat.  Telling people obesity is beautiful and healthy, just to make them feel better about themselves, is not helpful.  You can't change if you can't face reality.  If you want to kill yourself with food, fine, but don't ask others to pay for your gluttony.  Self-control is simple but can be extremely difficult, I get that, but if you eat well and exercise enough, old age is a lot less limiting and depressing.  ????‍♂️????️‍♂️????‍♂️????

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Im a sugar freak weed smoking pizza cheese munchy junky bachelor that lives alone and hence my diet isnt the best. Im still 17 pounds over and it sucks. The girls in Thermae poke my belly. When I dont shave, they call me santa claus. The only think I can do is keep walking and fighting the urges for ice cream, white bread, cheese, beef, hamburgers, pizza, quesadillas, pudding, khanom, coconut, eggs, rice and so on. 

Thats really my only bitch about being here, trying to lose weight in a world of pastry stands.

Do what I do, eat total <deleted>  but only once a  day, this way you can eat what you  want, didnt say its "healthy" but who decides healthy or  not? too many athletes  seem to die young.

If you're referring to all the "fat" between Bill Maher's ears then the answer is no. Nothing will change that arrogant, self-centered, in-love-with-himself loser. Shaming him will only cause him to open his belligerent pie-hole again. 
Oh my. I'm a big huge fat fan of Maher. I don't need to agree with every little thing he says but I do agree with most of it.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Fat shaming might not help them lose weight, but fat “acceptance” will certainly keep them fat with all the future health problems to go with it.

Then helping them if they want it is the answer no? Shaming is just a way for people who think they are better than those they are shaming to make themselves feel better about their own deficiencies.

Just now, HuskerDo said:

Then helping them if they want it is the answer no? Shaming is just a way for people who think they are better than those they are shaming to make themselves feel better about their own deficiencies.

I never said I condoned fat shaming.  I am absolutely against the new “big is beautiful” movement however.

If smokers pay higher insurance rates, so should fat people.  That can be their incentive to live a healthier lifestyle.  Sometimes you need a carrot, sometimes you need a stick.

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

I never said I condoned fat shaming.  I am absolutely against the new “big is beautiful” movement however.

If smokers pay higher insurance rates, so should fat people.  That can be their incentive to live a healthier lifestyle.  Sometimes you need a carrot, sometimes you need a stick.

"I am absolutely against the new “big is beautiful” movement however."... with that I agree yet I don't think its anyone's job/rite to tell another what they should look/dress/act like (within reason). Smokers pay higher insurance rates yet the vast majority still smoke. It's ok to disagree with how someone lives their lives but it's not ok to dictate that they live their lives any differently based on anyone else's opinion as to what is right.  

4 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"I am absolutely against the new “big is beautiful” movement however."... with that I agree yet I don't think its anyone's job/rite to tell another what they should look/dress/act like (within reason). Smokers pay higher insurance rates yet the vast majority still smoke. It's ok to disagree with how someone lives their lives but it's not ok to dictate that they live their lives any differently based on anyone else's opinion as to what is right.  

Where did I say I felt that one should dictate how they live?  If they are entering into a “social contract” such as health insurance, then personal responsibility should factor into that.  

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They both have points. They both agree obesity is a very serious health problem. But Maher is wrong if he thinks bullying fat people will help them lose weight.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Reminding people is not the same as bullying them! Some fat b@stards are too sensitive.

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Where did I say I felt that one should dictate how they live?  If they are entering into a “social contract” such as health insurance, then personal responsibility should factor into that.  

If they have health issues their insurance rates will be higher than a healthy person.

"If smokers pay higher insurance rates, so should fat people.  That can be their incentive to live a healthier lifestyle."... Really? Higher taxation on cigarettes has had nearly zero effect on smokers. Just gave more money to the govt to waste. If someone chooses to smoke, drink a bit too much, carry a lot of extra weight, etc it's their business and they'll pay the consequences. Again, it's their business and not yours.

Great luck on your pharma investments. Those great folks who supplied the Oxycontin and the opioids and killed so many. It's funny that you brag about your investments. Many folks on this board do the same yet they moved to Thailand as they couldn't afford to live in their own country. Most farang who live in Thailand talk big but have little. 

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

If they have health issues their insurance rates will be higher than a healthy person.

"If smokers pay higher insurance rates, so should fat people.  That can be their incentive to live a healthier lifestyle."... Really? Higher taxation on cigarettes has had nearly zero effect on smokers. Just gave more money to the govt to waste. If someone chooses to smoke, drink a bit too much, carry a lot of extra weight, etc it's their business and they'll pay the consequences. Again, it's their business and not yours.

Great luck on your pharma investments. Those great folks who supplied the Oxycontin and the opioids and killed so many. It's funny that you brag about your investments. Many folks on this board do the same yet they moved to Thailand as they couldn't afford to live in their own country. Most farang who live in Thailand talk big but have little. 

Where did I talk about higher taxation?  You have continually put words in my mouth throughout this thread.  I specifically mentioned health insurance. 

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Where did I talk about higher taxation?  You have continually put words in my mouth throughout this thread.  I specifically mentioned health insurance. 

Let me translate.....

Higher insurance rates on cigarette smokers has had nearly zero effect on them stopping smoking.

Happy?

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Let me translate.....

Higher insurance rates on cigarette smokers has had nearly zero effect on them stopping smoking.

Happy?

Don’t care.  They are paying extra as they have an unhealthy habit.  Gluttons should face the same.  I don’t care if they overeat or not.  Don’t ask me to pay for it.

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

Don’t care.  They are paying extra as they have an unhealthy habit.  Gluttons should face the same.  I don’t care if they overeat or not.  Don’t ask me to pay for it.

And they DO via their increased insurance premiums for their health issues and obesity.  

Archived