Does fat shaming help people lose weight?

snoop1130

my 82 year old mother was travelling by train in the uk just last week, the man sitting next to her was so fat the arm rest between the seats would not go down and he was overflowing into her seat, very unpleasant. she can afford to upgrade to first class and did, but is it fair that she should be inconvenienced and have to move? she paid for her seat and has the right to a full seat, not to share it. if someone cant fit in a normal sized seat they should pay for two or go first class. or stand.

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

And they DO via their increased insurance premiums for their health issues and obesity.  

No they don’t...not until they start making their claims.  Smokers have to divulge their habit...and are charged for it ahead of time.   Doesn’t work the same way for obese people.

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

Smoking rates in the US are down.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0118-smoking-rates-declining.html

How are the obesity stats looking?

I won't even open the link. You are looking at questionable data. The people who want to smoke WILL no matter if the govt doubles or triples the tax on them(which has happened) or if their health insurance goes up. Many many of these hard core smokers are now dead which taints and stats out there now(fewer smokes since so many died from it). However, also people have given up smoking for vaping which is now killing folks. Add the vaping stats to smoking deaths and get a better picture.

Simply said..... let people be themselves even if it means they have poor health. It's their life not yours right? Buy more pharma stocks and live it up on their behalf. 

3 minutes ago, Airalee said:

No they don’t...not until they start making their claims.  Smokers have to divulge their habit...and are charged for it ahead of time.   Doesn’t work the same way for obese people.

That's not true. When I applied for health insurance in Thailand my BMI index was checked along with other things by the doctor. I asked the provider the specifics and the rates skyrocket for someone with a high BMI. If they aren't charged extra until they start making claims it's too late for the insurance company. They need their premiums up front. Where in the heck do you live anyway(I don't want to know. It just seems like it's your own little world)?

10 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Simply said..... let people be themselves even if it means they have poor health. It's their life not yours right?

I do let them live their lives and think that GOVERNMENT should have no say.  But I don’t feel that I should pay for their lifestyle...nor should I have to say a 200lb woman in a string bikini is “beautiful”

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I do let them live their lives and think that GOVERNMENT should have no say.  But I don’t feel that I should pay for their lifestyle...nor should I have to say a 200lb woman in a string bikini is “beautiful”

"I don’t feel that I should pay for their lifestyle... nor should I have to say a 200lb woman in a string bikini is “beautiful”...…………...

I don't remember anyone asking you to pay for their lifestyle (and you don't). To be clear, you'll see a 200 pound woman every 5 seconds in the Western world no matter what venue you are at. In Thailand you might see one maybe once a week/month? Maybe that's a subliminal part of the reason you are there. ???? 

I was fat more of my life than I was thin. Fat acceptance rarely works. You tell someone they aren't fat or they are looking good, when clearly they are not, they know you are just saying it because to say something else would be rude. You get they are being nice, but you also know it is just convoluted pity. It was always better when nothing was said at all.

In Thailand they just come right out and tell you your fat, and it is a relief usually. At least there is an opportunity for some humor or bold self acceptance, instead of shame and fake feelings.

Of course I have seen them take it too far.

13 hours ago, Airalee said:

Don’t care.  They are paying extra as they have an unhealthy habit.  Gluttons should face the same.  I don’t care if they overeat or not.  Don’t ask me to pay for it.

Well that's easy to implement, but a cap on maximum portion size. The blue whales will have to buy more and thus pay more.

Big spectrum out there..

Fat shaming = bullying = serves no purpose

Fat acceptance = liberalism gone too far = serves to encourage unhealthy eating habits

Oversized models = liberalism gone too far = serves to encourage unhealthy eating habits

Doctors not allowed to tell patients they are fat = liberalism gone too far = serves to encourage unhealthy eating habits

Find some balance for God's sake. Being fat is not healthy. We can't make the subject totally taboo. The 'F' word (fat) should not be avoided for fear of hurting someone's feelings. Let's have grown up conversations about it without directing any anger or prejudice towards fat people. After all, it's in their interests to listen. Being fat is generally completely avoidable given the right advice.

Archived