Thai bank problems for marriage visa - Krabi

Hi all,

I ran around Ao Nang and Krabi town trying to ope a bank account for my marriage visa.  Every bank I went into told me "mai die," they all wanted a work visa or retirement visa.  These banks included Ao Nang:  K-bank, SCB, the pink one (Thai government bank), Krabi town: K-bank, SCB, Krung Sri, CMNI (the red one), and TKB (the blue one).  I am sunburnt from running around dealing with these idiots for over 4 hours.  So exactly how is a fragang on a marriage visa supposed to have 400K in the bank if no one will let them open a bank account (or is this just restricted to po-dunk Krabi?).  I have lived here for over 11 years and have had multiple banks accounts over the years.  Is this some new BS from the government or what?

Advice appreciated!

• Like 1

Been covered many many times. Try search for threads. I recently opened new account at another bank from my existing. Basically you need to keep shop around until you find one. Ao nang might be an issue. I eventually used KK bank in bkk. Does your wife have bank account? I suggest you try her branch first with her with you. Some banks even want embassy letter etc etc.

Edited by DrJack54

They're all likely to say no nowadays - however, I know Kasikorn at least will open one for you if you take a Thai person of status to vouch for you (policeman, soldier, doctor, phuyaibaan etc). You'll still probably have to go to a Kasikorn in Bangkok though, times have changed. Cue someone posting about how they opened a bank account easily in Jomtien on a visa-exemption - in 1997.

3 minutes ago, thaiknowmak said:

Thanks bro,  not familiar with KK bank?  Wife has account back in Surat with some Thai Farmers Credit Union.  I tried with them a couple years ago, but they turned me down.  Sure am tired of banging my head against the Thai wall of stupidity.

He probably meant Kaiskorn Bank which I see referred to as K-bank quite a lot.

Lamkoong,  I had HSBC in BKK, and Bangkok bank on Samui,  HSBC thailand closed their consumer division.  Bangkok bank <deleted> me ofrf with their stupidity, and they no longer issue visa or master card debit cards.  I could not get their thai-union <deleted> to work on Lazada.

2 minutes ago, thaiknowmak said:

Lamkoong,  I had HSBC in BKK, and Bangkok bank on Samui,  HSBC thailand closed their consumer division.  Bangkok bank <deleted> me ofrf with their stupidity, and they no longer issue visa or master card debit cards.  I could not get their thai-union <deleted> to work on Lazada.

They started issuing Mastercard about a year ago...or you can get UnionPay.  You will need to ask for the Mastercard as they default to giving UnionPay card unless the customer asks for the Mastercard.  And yes, they no longer issue a Visa debit card.

Give Bangkok Bank a try.  Although they may ask for work permit it's not required if you can produce certain other docs.  See below quote from Bangkok Bank as to the requirements for a farang to open an acct....look at the "Foreigner without work permit" section.  The reference letter from your embassy is just a document stating your address in Thailand....and Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration will work just as well and will probably be faster/cheaper to get.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

For Thai nationals

• ID card or any government-issued photo ID card with 13-digit ID number

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand

• Passport, Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate 
  • House Registration document

•  

OP, are you American by any chance?  Their draconian measures of tax collection worldwide scares off many banks. There are painful reporting procedures for American customers under thread of cutting off the bank from American markets. Thus, it is too painful for them to deal with American clients.  I will be facing this problem soon, but I'll be living in BKK and SIL works at a bank.  Hopefully I'll be ok. 

Yes it is a pain now, luckily I have been with Bangkok bank and KK ( was Thai farmers bank previously).

Krungsri would open a FCD account, but not a THB account last year, after using that account for a year a manager said he would open a THB, if my wife came with me!

I got the work permit thing last year as well!

5 minutes ago, USNret said:

OP, are you American by any chance?  Their draconian measures of tax collection worldwide scares off many banks. There are painful reporting procedures for American customers under thread of cutting off the bank from American markets. Thus, it is too painful for them to deal with American clients.  I will be facing this problem soon, but I'll be living in BKK and SIL works at a bank.  Hopefully I'll be ok. 

Not true.  Thai bank now have a couple of FATCA-related docs (i.e., related to the US law) to complete (takes just a few minutes) for any farang wanting to open a bank account.  If you are American then you also need to provide the Thai bank your social security number.  I'm American over the last few years I have opened multiple accts at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank....no problem.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaiknowmak said:

Ok thanks guys.  I will try Bangkok bank tomorrow and see what they say.

Well good luck! As I mentioned in post #1. I live bkk and tried many banks. Even though I have an existing bank a/c with stupid light blue bank.

I went to bangkok bank head office. They wanted embassy letter. Also wanted something from my AU bank. Keep in mind I already have yearly extensions based on retirement. 

K- bank I finally had success. Think I took a lease. In any event it does mean shop around. Even branches of same bank have different response. Don't imagine options Ao Nang much good unless you have one year permission of stay. It has changed from years ago

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Try Kasikorn Bank first and bring your wife along! If you try Bkk Bk take along a Thai friend or family member who has a government job ,they will act as a guarantor 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiknowmak said:

glegolo- My old banks were on Samui or in Bangkok, I am in Krabi now,. I would like a local branch as the "rules" seem to change from branch to branch.

Has nothing to do with that. You can use one of those. If you really have them, of course.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

Same BS for my non-Thai wife. We are married and she is on NON-O visa and she can't open an account at the same bank where I am. They are asking for her to have a tabien baan?!?!?! Which she can never have as non-Thai.

It's possible that they know that and just don't want the hassle.

I had this problem in krabi a couple of years ago ,I actually had a kasikorn account but had lost the book and the card had expired by over a year ,went into bank to get new card and explain lost book they said cannot need to open new account I said ok then they asked for work permit which I didn’t have so they said cannot open bank account without work permit????.

wife was actually a friend of person in bank aswell ,still no joy in the end bank just said open it in wife’s name and register it to my phone so I could control it online with the app......obviously that’s not a solution for op.

I opened one at Bangkok Bank when I first moved here to do transfers from Australia, went in with my wife and my passport, no problems at all and recently opened one at the Govt Bank, again with my wife and passport, all in Surat Thani

6 hours ago, Dnyy said:

Same BS for my non-Thai wife. We are married and she is on NON-O visa and she can't open an account at the same bank where I am. They are asking for her to have a tabien baan?!?!?! Which she can never have as non-Thai.

Sorry, but non Thais can have Tambien Baan. It's called yellow Tambien Baan !!!!

And yes, many Banks will open a bank account when you show them the yellow Tambien Ban. Seems some of them like that one more than a visa or extension.

• Like 1

Wow!  I did not expect so many replies so quickly.  Thanks guys!  Yes I am from the USA and familiar with the tax BS from there.  Any Thai bank makes you fill out an I-9 (USA tax form) which requires your social security number.  That form goes to the tax man back in the USA.

K-bank flat out refused (2 branches).  They said if I had a work visa or retirement visa they could open it.  They looked at my multi-entry marriage visa and still refused.

Krungsri told me they could not, even though I am on a multi entry marriage visa (10 years worth of stamps).  I also brought our marriage certificate, blue house book, and wife's national ID.  She is the only one that called headquarters in Bangkok to check.  Then she told me I could if I bring my wife.

SCB told me I could if I brought in my marriage certificate.  I did this.  Then they told me I need the yellow house book.  They also said they had to send all the documents to bangkok to be "approved" and that would take 3 days.

CMNI (red bank), TKB (light blue bank), Thai government bank (pink one) all flat out refused, they did not look at any documents.

I didn't check Bangkok Bank, because I wanted a Visa or Master Card debit card.  When they switched over to Thai Union, they never told me about the Master Card, even though I told them that was the reason I was closing the account.  Why am I not surprised?  Hahaha

Thanks again guys.

2 hours ago, thaiknowmak said:

When they switched over to Thai Union, they never told me about the Master Card, even though I told them that was the reason I was closing the account.

A good piece of advice I got 30 years ago was to never close a bank account.

Even then, before all the KYC stuff really kicked in, it was clear that opening bank accounts was going to become progressively more complicated in every country. So, whenever I travel to a new country, I at least check to see if there is some way to open an account there and, if there is, I take the time to do so, leaving one or two hundred dollars on deposit. One of my regrets is that I did not manage to open an account with a Hong Kong bank before they really cracked down there.

With regard to the western practice of quitting as a customer (of any type of business) as a form of complaint, and telling them why, well, I understand the impulse but it is utterly pointless in Thailand.

As far as I have been able to tell over the past couple of decades in Thailand, there is no mechanism or cultural habit for low-level employees to pass such complaints up the chain. If you want to complain, sure, they will politely listen, but that is all. You get the opportunity to vent but your carefully crafted and heartfelt observations will go no further, no matter how much sense they make.

Instead, complain politely and get what redress you can for whatever the immediate problem is, and don't be surprised if no such redress is forthcoming, but resist the temptation to dramatically withdraw your custom if there is any way in which that business might be useful or convenient to you in the future. You don't have to go back if the place is bad, but leave your options open.

If you angrily storm out, swearing to never return, from their perspective you are just another crazy farang and the actual problem will barely register. As they see it, you are the problem.

The next day, they will have forgotten all about you, while you will now give yourself a nipple-twist of stress everything time you actively avoid that business for decades to come. Expect problems, embrace idiocy, mai pen rai ????

Edited by donnacha

Bangkok Bank is usually easy. You need to ask them for the form they need certified from your embassy. It's a certification of citizenship or something like that. I think if you know someone who can vouch for you at SCB this can also work. 

Then they told me I need the yellow house book. 

My experience is with your name in a yellow book and a pink foreigner ID card you will have no problem opening a bank account.

The local amphoe where you get your yellow book done will make you an ID as soon as you are in the yellow book.    Good Luck! 

Remember, "every girls crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man" 

Dressing for success helps at the amphoe and the bank IMO.  

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

Wow!  I did not expect so many replies so quickly.  Thanks guys!  Yes I am from the USA and familiar with the tax BS from there.  Any Thai bank makes you fill out an I-9 (USA tax form) which requires your social security number.  That form goes to the tax man back in the USA.

K-bank flat out refused (2 branches).  They said if I had a work visa or retirement visa they could open it.  They looked at my multi-entry marriage visa and still refused.

Krungsri told me they could not, even though I am on a multi entry marriage visa (10 years worth of stamps).  I also brought our marriage certificate, blue house book, and wife's national ID.  She is the only one that called headquarters in Bangkok to check.  Then she told me I could if I bring my wife.

SCB told me I could if I brought in my marriage certificate.  I did this.  Then they told me I need the yellow house book.  They also said they had to send all the documents to bangkok to be "approved" and that would take 3 days.

CMNI (red bank), TKB (light blue bank), Thai government bank (pink one) all flat out refused, they did not look at any documents.

I didn't check Bangkok Bank, because I wanted a Visa or Master Card debit card.  When they switched over to Thai Union, they never told me about the Master Card, even though I told them that was the reason I was closing the account.  Why am I not surprised?  Hahaha

Thanks again guys.

Yes the person working at a bank sometimes refuse you very fast. happen to me as well. But a Yellow book or when you talk to them that you stay longer sometimes can change their minds! And then there are branches which tries to avoid foreigners (not sure because they can't speak English good enough or they don't like us).

Seems you tried a few already. Sometimes it's already enough to ask another person in the same branch and you could be lucky. For some it worked, when you for example call the hotline of the branch like for Kasikorn and then let the hotline talk with the bank personal there. When they receive the information from their own hotline this sometimes also can help ( I am not sure how much they like you there afterwards but maybe you have an account there)!