Decent auto (bike) electrician wanted (Khon Kaen)

AllanB

Been pretty sick this last 6 months, close to croaking at one point, so time to take stock with my life and get my old 1983 Honda NV400 back on the road.

Planned on ripping all the wiring out and staring again, but don't have the skills, or nerve, as this bike was wired at a complicated time in Honda's history.

Really need someone who knows what they are doing, unlike those I have met so far. Could put it on my pickup and deliver.

Back in Thailand end October.

Very little data on this Jap home market bike from 35 years ago, certainly no wiring diagram. Spent a while trying to draw one up and gave up, relays and gruby terminal boxes all over the place. And for what the ignition system is simple-ish and the rest is horn, lights and indicators? Just don't have the courage to rip the lot out.

12 hours ago, AllanB said:

but don't have the skills, or nerve,

Would be the same as me building a website. however a mate of mine did one and he's older than me. 

I'm not saying it is super easy or difficult. You'll need a large piece of plywood the length of the bike and as wide as the bike is high. Romove the seat and tank and... then unplug everything and remove the harness in one piece. It was installed on the bike in one piece.

Lay/peg the harness out on the piece of wood like a dead spider and go from there. You will then be able to inspect it as a whole and fix what you can see as being wrong. Connectors can be dipped in vinegar to clean etc.. 

As to who can do it depends on where you live. Obviously you need a "chopper" shop if they still exist.

On 9/18/2019 at 2:56 AM, VocalNeal said:

Would be the same as me building a website. however a mate of mine did one and he's older than me. 

I'm not saying it is super easy or difficult. You'll need a large piece of plywood the length of the bike and as wide as the bike is high. Romove the seat and tank and... then unplug everything and remove the harness in one piece. It was installed on the bike in one piece.

Lay/peg the harness out on the piece of wood like a dead spider and go from there. You will then be able to inspect it as a whole and fix what you can see as being wrong. Connectors can be dipped in vinegar to clean etc.. 

As to who can do it depends on where you live. Obviously you need a "chopper" shop if they still exist.

Sorry, you misunderstand I don't wish to rewire it, I want to grossly simplify the loom and I am in no fit stateb to do it myself, I need at least a year of rehab from my illness. I started to chop the bike very slightly last year and a good sparks would have this done in a jiffy. I could then ride the bike again. I am sure I could get it put on my other pickup and ship it a short distance, which actaully I would have to do anyway. But yes a chopshop could handle this.

Often, a complete custom rewire is quicker, and cheaper, and much less of a headache, than modifying, or fault finding, an existing loom.

Especially a 36 y/o stock Japanese wiring harness.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:18 PM, AllanB said:

Planned on ripping all the wiring out and staring again, but don't have the skills, or nerve,

33 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Sorry, you misunderstand I don't wish to rewire it, I want to grossly simplify the loom 

So which is it?

Believe me, you want a nice, neat, reliable harness; start from scratch.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Often, a complete custom rewire is quicker, and cheaper, and much less of a headache, than modifying, or fault finding, an existing loom.

Especially a 36 y/o stock Japanese wiring harness.

So which is it?

Believe me, you want a nice, neat, reliable harness; start from scratch.

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well, when I said I didn't want to rewire it, I didn't want to rewire it the way it was originally, hence simplify it....and yes start from stratch.

It has had a couple of butchers work on it during my ownership, which I then attempted to clean up, but it is a lost cause on a bike that is basically sound and I would like to keep and ride.

Do you fancy the job?

32 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well, when I said I didn't want to rewire it, I didn't want to rewire it the way it was originally, hence simplify it....and yes start from stratch.

It has had a couple of butchers work on it during my ownership, which I then attempted to clean up, but it is a lost cause on a bike that is basically sound and I would like to keep and ride.

Do you fancy the job?

Sorry Allan,

i need to keep my sanity, hence would'nt touch it with a bargepole.

36 y/o Jap bike with 36 y/o coils, stators, cdi's, plug caps, lights?

Plus if i did, once i was finished i would not want the "HOW MUCH?" earache....

Best of luck,

TG.

From what I can gather ...

Your bike was followed by the Steed 400 from 1988 on

That being said I am unable to source a wiring diagram.

If mine, I would remove the fuel tank and seat.

Remove all the wiring - undo no connectors, keep it in one piece -I would start at the headlight and work back, and then down.

Take pics as you remove, and lay the harness on a sheet of plywood.

Get the plugins and connectors you require - looking at the old ones.

Start at the headlight, and make new wires, in the same color, matching the old ones.

Start at the headlight and work back, making each new wire the same length as the old wires.

Check continuity, shrink wrap, and replace the harness on the bike.

Would change handlebar switches for something more current - CRF maybe. New ones are one piece on each bar end, with all switches in a single housing.

Use a new fuse panel also.

This still leaves the old wires from the charging and ignition coils - about all you can do is ensure they are in decent shape. Best would be to replace them also, but sourcing would be difficult. But a new Steed one should fit as the engines are the same from what I found. And may be easier to source.

3 day job - one to remove, one to duplicate, one to reinstall.

Just be meticulous - take your time.

I haven't got the time to do it, but the knowledge. I'm currently overhauling my bike and won't touch such an old Honda without having a source for parts. It's not just the harness you should be concerned of, there might be other problems like the carbs that will give you an even bigger headache. Can you most a few photos of the harness, connectors, etc?

Archived