GF applying for UK Tourist Visa (rejected last time)

My GF had her application for a tourist visa rejected last year.  To be honest, we (I) was very naive to the process and didn't think it would be so difficult and it wasn't in hindsight the most thorough application.

The rejection letter was pretty extensive.  Lack of evidence of genuine relationship which led to lack of evidence of funds as they ignored the sponsorship on that basis.  She was informally employed at the time and although she had a letter stating she was employed by the shop owner there was no money in the bank to confirm the employment.  I can see why she was rejected but now a year later we want to put it right.

I've spent around 12 months of the last 18 in THailand with her,  2 trips overseas and lots of other trips together as well as loads of video calls when we were apart.  Pretty happy we can get the genuine relationship aspect fixed up easily enough.  Same with proof that the trip is affordable with my sponsorship.

The big problem is going to be showing that she will return to Thailand at the end of her stay.

She is currently a full time Mother to her 3 year old with some support from me financially.   The only asset she has is the lease to a shop which her friend runs for her in Koh Samui.  There aren't any business registration documents or tax documents for the business, only a lease and a modest amount (8-15K depending on the season) paid into the bank each month.  The lease for the shop does have some value, worth between 120-200k when they're sold but hard to prove I guess.  She has a new motorbike (on finance) too but I don't know how much weight that carries, I can't imagine a lot.   

I would be grateful for any advice on how we can beef up the "going home" part of the application.  We're just looking at applying for 10 days and then I will go back with her.  Do things like me booking my flight and showing them I'm returning on the date we're saying she is hold going any sway in convincing the officers?

Are there any visa agents worth recommending?  I contacted one but their responses are extremely tardy to say the least and the GF got pointed in the direction of a Thai guy by somebody from her village who just got her settlement visa from the UK always using him but I am very sceptical of using somebody like that when I'm in the UK and can't see what documents are being included.

You will have to address all of the refusal points in the letter as part of this application.

The lease could be part of her reason to return but not the motorbike. If somebody is running the business in the normal way, I'm not sure it will add to her reasons to return as she won't have to rush back to run it. Having kids back in Thailand isn't a reason to return as so many Thai woman work away from home. In your shoes, I wouldn't supply your wife's bank details. Just tell them she only accepts cash and it isn't banked. UKVI are really good at unpicking figures from bank statements and it's a very common reason for refusal.

If only 8-15K is taken in the business and she is paying somebody to run it, is she making any money at all from it?

I wouldn’t use an agent at all unless it is OISC accredited. You can do it yourself with help from this forum. A settlement visa is far simpler to get than a vist visa. No reason to return needed.

1 hour ago, rasg said:

You will have to address all of the refusal points in the letter as part of this application.

The lease could be part of her reason to return but not the motorbike. If somebody is running the business in the normal way, I'm not sure it will add to her reasons to return as she won't have to rush back to run it. Having kids back in Thailand isn't a reason to return as so many Thai woman work away from home. In your shoes, I wouldn't supply your wife's bank details. Just tell them she only accepts cash and it isn't banked. UKVI are really good at unpicking figures from bank statements and it's a very common reason for refusal.

If only 8-15K is taken in the business and she is paying somebody to run it, is she making any money at all from it?

I wouldn’t use an agent at all unless it is OISC accredited. You can do it yourself with help from this forum. A settlement visa is far simpler to get than a vist visa. No reason to return needed.

Thanks for your reply

The money banked is the profit as the takings are used to pay all expenses.  It's neither here nor there really but in lieu of any actual documentation for the business it's all she has to show that it's actually a functioning business. 

I'm pretty pragmatic about this application and the reasons to return home coming off the refusal are probably going to be too weak but hoping for any advice or information that can beef this up, but literally all she has is a kid and this lease to satisfy this requirement.  

You need to make a big thing about you living in Thailand with her for 12 months out of 18 and that you will be returning to do the same. Where do you live when you are in Thailand? If you have a lease on a condo, for example, make sure her name is on the lease too.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:36 PM, rasg said:

Having kids back in Thailand isn't a reason to return as so many Thai woman work away from home.

I disagree, having dependant minors back in Thailand is one of 3 main reasons to return.

1. Employment.

2. Property/land ownership.

3. Dependant children.

A lot of Thais without financial proof of self employment (no tax, or records), no property/land ownership, and having no other reason than dependant children to return to are often granted Visitor Visas.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I disagree, having dependant minors back in Thailand is one of 3 main reasons to return.

1. Employment.

3. Dependant children.

A lot of Thais without financial proof of self employment (no tax, or records), no property/land ownership, and having no other reason than dependant children to return to are often granted Visitor Visas.

If you are saying that you know of Thais who have been granted a UK visit visa when their only reason to return was dependent children, I will believe you.

I'm not a professional, but 19 years experience, personal and on forums such as this, has shown me that this is not the norm.

Whilst dependant children may be one factor among others in the ECOs decision to grant, as @rasg says, dependant children alone is usually not enough as many Thais travel away, often abroad, for work leaving their children behind in the care of family.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

3. Dependant children.

You may well disagree, but the fact remains that dependant children will not, on there own, be regarded as a strong reason to return.
ECO's look at the whole picture, and whilst dependant may be taken into consideration, not providing other strong ties, will often result in an application being refused.

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

If you are saying that you know of Thais who have been granted a UK visit visa when their only reason to return was dependent children, I will believe you.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

You may well disagree, but the fact remains that dependant children will not, on there own, be regarded as a strong reason to return.
ECO's look at the whole picture, and whilst dependant may be taken into consideration, not providing other strong ties, will often result in an application being refused.

Lets just say I'm speaking from personal experience.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Lets just say I'm speaking from personal experience.

Which I assumed to be the case.

However, that personal experience is not proof that

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

1. Employment.

3. Dependant children.

Anyone reading this who assumes dependent children alone will be deemed by an ECO as sufficient reason to return could easily be in for a massive disappointment.

I have experience of a Thai woman, my sister in law, getting a visit visa when she had no job other than cash in hand work she couldn't prove, no property and no dependent family in Thailand. Doesn't mean everyone in that position will. We made a strong case, they believed us. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I have experience of a Thai woman, my sister in law, getting a visit visa when she had no job other than cash in hand work she couldn't prove, no property and no dependent family in Thailand. Doesn't mean everyone in that position will. We made a strong case, they believed us. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

Honesty is always the best policy and I also believe you.

A well worded, honest Invitation or Application letter can tell the ECO much more about a relationship or circumstances far more than any documentation can.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, jimmy54321 said:

The only asset she has is the lease to a shop which her friend runs for her in Koh Samui.  There aren't any business registration documents or tax documents for the business, only a lease and a modest amount (8-15K depending on the season) paid into the bank each month. 

Sounds like she owns a small business and employs one assistant. After paying wages and bills she earns 8-15K depending on season.

She also owns the lease, with an estimated value of xxx,xxx Baht.

Some paperwork and photos to show the business is genuine might be enough to show she has assets in Thailand and reasons to return, in addition to her child.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:36 PM, rasg said:

(Seriously) This forum is a good source of advice. (Joking) With regard to the weight of the motorbike, the record number of people on one motorbike I've witnessed was 5: Pattaya Songkran 2006.

• 1 month later...

Happy to say she got the visa.  Coming off a rejection and no land/house, no formal job, no taxes, 1 kid, just a lease scribbled on a piece of paper, a letter from the landowner saying she rented it to her and some pictures (and the translation of the lease) and me going to town on the "genuine relationship" aspect.  I almost talked myself out of bothering as everybody says it's hopeless unless they have a good job or land/house but glad we did and she arrives next week.

Archived