At what time should it be quiet in a condomenium

At what time should it be quiet in a condomenium with mixed people?   

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got a neighbour across the hall, playing loud music whenever it suits him, and Im about to knock on his door. We are living in a condemenium with mixed people from early birds, to late birds, but it have been quiet until he came back. Never seen him before now or talked to him except said hi just passing him. Could be a brit in his 60íes and love old 70íes music obvious. 

So back to the question, when should it be quiet? As told it is living families with children who going to school, working people early to late, and some expats. 

When should he stop playing music? 

When is it okay to washing clothes in the morning? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's a condominium no time it's 24-7 if you don't like it then you shouldn't be living there obviously.

So one guy should rule the others, when everyone else is keeping quiet after 20:00

Interesting thought

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

So one guy should rule the others, when everyone else is keeping quiet after 20:00

Interesting thought

Nah, personally i think its the opposite. Should be quiet 24/7.

Loud music is always annoying, get a house if you want to hear music 24/7 so that others can hear it.

I never heard anyone in our condo...

Simple respect for others.... 

In a condo, in a house, in townhouse... there unnecessary noise sends a big 'I don't care about you and I'm an inconsiderate Tvv@t' to everyone else. 

I had a little DIY to do this morning which involved a little 'hammer action' (with the Drill, sorry to disappoint) I was up before 7am, but waited until 10am to start, there's no reason to upset the neighbors (on a residential street), some have young kids. Additionally, I won't be making any noise after 6pm.

That said, some Condo's are not very well insulated from noise - a little music or the TV being too loud and the neighbors hear everything, but some people take it too far. 

I lived in a great Serviced Apartment for 5 years, my neighbor moved out and the guy who moved in was loud. I'd never had any reason to complain of my previous neighbor, but within 3 months I'd complained to security and Apartment Management 3 times (3 times to security in the evenings, then a follow up the next day with the Management) - I moved out after the 3rd time (telling them why). 

So..... To answer your question: It does depend - if it's a one off, no biggie, if its a regular thing then its not on whatever the time unless its something which needs to be done (i.e. workmen round in the day time for some refurbishment etc). 

If its light music or the TV that travels through a poorly insulated condo building, there is not much you can do. But if its some a-hole cranking their music up at 10pm and the bass is shaking your Ming Dynasty Vase off the countertop then you have a right to complain. 

Op: One way to handle this to avoid any potential confrontation: 

Leave a bottle of wine with a polite note on it asking that he exercises more restrain with the volume dial....  After all, you mentioned he could be in his 60's therefore half deaf and unaware of himself as many older folk tend to be ????

This subject gets me so angry, I have encountered this problem several times.

If you rent you can always move out, but if you bought it you are stuck.

Thai condos, and most of their buildings, suffer from having only single width walls. As your noisy neighbour is a Farang you have a chance. If he's a Thai and you complain, he may just turn up the volume or punch you in the mouth.

Avoid confrontation and try the friendly approach first, I liked the bottle of wine and a note idea.

Failing which, complain to the management. If that does not work, try the Police.

Failing which you are left with a direct approach, which ranges from 'excuse me but would you mind'..... and may escalate to whacking the a-hole with a baseball bat. (Hard to find in Thailand).

Unfortunately there are many a-holes who don't care about other peoples peace and quiet.

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Interesting thought

Living in a condo has its problems surely so many people very few the same.

Oh dear a nurse coming home at 1 o/c am made a noise shutting her front door, that's right kick her out of the condo. 

Lived in Cairo then Bangkok in condos some noisy some better than others for last 20 odd years

DREAM peace n quiet no neighbours

Semi retired renovated old farm house by beach no neighbour in either direction for KMs, surrounded by fields cow and frogs n birds

Now i am a city boy traffic hum is perfect for me

THEN 

cows mooing n farting

Birds I thought they slept at night

Rain then frogs Incessant noise

wind yes its blooming windy here daily

then its quiet something disturbs my guard dogs

awake again

Be careful what you wish for!

Thankfully, my condo is already quiet and as my living room has no common walls with other units, I can play my stereo (with subwoofer) pretty loudly at all hours...sometimes as late as 4am.  Can barely even hear it in the hallway as the doors are so solid.

However, in the interest of the poll...I’ll vote for between 10pm and 10am.  Early quiet time for those that need to wake up early.  Late ending for those that like to sleep in.

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

So you're the <deleted> that keeps others awake. The bass not in particular travels right through the building.

Not in my building.  My landlord owns the unit under me and I have already checked to see If the tenant can hear anything.  Nope.  Also introduced myself to my neighbors and told them to come pound on my door if they ever heard me.

Admittedly, I’m surprised that this place is so soundproof.   My last condo, I could hear much more than music through the walls.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Rules 555.

Rules set by, and agreed to by the owners and long term renters.  Such rules include no smoking in the gym or poolside, correct attire in the gym and pool  no garbage dumped in the corridor, no dogs, no narcotics etcetc. If you dont like the rules then you can find another place.

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am surprised there is only a 8am option. i sleep until 10-10:30am.

that is why i rent a house. quiet. 

when i travel and stay in hotels or condos in thailand then noise cancelling headphones OVER earplugs.

And this is why I rent condo, and not buying. We have rented several different condos, and never had a problem. Just once I went to the Neighbour, and asked him to use his headset when sitting on the balcony. Except from that never a problem. I do not think it would be any problem here either, if we can just talk together as normal adults, and clear the problem. 

The rest of the building is quite quiet, and this is the second room I had here, and so far until now been good place. It is quite a new place to, so Neighbours is not a problem when normal activity and sounds. 

Maybe he read here and reconsider his loud playing, and get his headphones on. 

In the condo building where I live the Rules and Regulations are very specific.

Excessive noise is strictly banned.

It also states that the problem ideally is solved by the co -owners in question.

Failing that the Juristic Manager has to fix it.

All co -owners  accept that New Years Eve will be noisy -nobody complains.

Maybe your building has similar rules.

In my last Condo I was plagued by dogs barking from 6am - midnight, the one 2 floors down (on the Ground floor so they had a Patio where the dog would roam) would start it off & this would be picked up by the ones in the building opposite & the ones on the other side of my building (4 units to a floor).

Tried being polite to the owners who couldn't care less so I got a dog whistle app on my phone & kept a squirty bottle of water on the Balcony, when the dog started barking I would hit the whistle & squirt a little bit of water on it, which distracted the dog & made him forget what he was barking about.

Sorry to say this & I know I'll get flamed for it but I don't think people should be allowed to keep dogs in a Condo unless they can control the dogs barking, very inconsiderate to your neighbours... 

27 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

In my last Condo I was plagued by dogs barking from 6am - midnight, the one 2 floors down (on the Ground floor so they had a Patio where the dog would roam) would start it off & this would be picked up by the ones in the building opposite & the ones on the other side of my building (4 units to a floor).

Tried being polite to the owners who couldn't care less so I got a dog whistle app on my phone & kept a squirty bottle of water on the Balcony, when the dog started barking I would hit the whistle & squirt a little bit of water on it, which distracted the dog & made him forget what he was barking about.

Sorry to say this & I know I'll get flamed for it but I don't think people should be allowed to keep dogs in a Condo unless they can control the dogs barking, very inconsiderate to your neighbours... 

Should not be allowed to keep animals at all. None of the condos I have lived in so far, was it allowed to keep animals. I would just not rent such a place. 

12 hours ago, madmen said:

grow a pair and bash his door in. You wouldn't put up with it back home???

Seems most farang are paralysed with fear !!!

The guy with wife & child in the apartment,  who got killed during an altercation would disagree with your approach.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/karon-police-reveal-details-of-norwegian-arrested-for-death-of-brit-at-phuket-resort-72615.php#U7kadjK3z834XxIM.97

I have no problem talking to people, and be a decent neighbour. 

The violence I would leave for others, and I guess som native in the building soon will be quite fed up with him, if he do not stop, and behave his love for music, and get a pair av headphones, and save his balls. 

you might ask him the same question. Some old people have hearing difficulties and dont realize the volume... approach it politely at first..  ask if he has headphones...

i have a condo in a building where no work is permitted before 11 am or after 5 pm..  and none on weèkends. 

Depends on quality of build because you should have acoustic treatment so it is silent from room to room

When I stay in my friends condo in bangkok we cannot hear anyone just the noise of the BTS occasionally and a horn maybe

The most annoying was dogs but my friend fed them all chocolate and they died

17 hours ago, riclag said:

A nice diplomatic note ,tucked in, under or attached to his or her door,works wonders!

Why a note? Are you afraid to speak to him? Surely any decent condo has security personnel. If the guy frightens you, ask security to speak to him. Trying to bribe him with wine or a muffin basket and an anonymous note tells him that he controls the situation.

5 hours ago, jabis said:

The guy with wife & child in the apartment,  who got killed during an altercation would disagree with your approach.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/karon-police-reveal-details-of-norwegian-arrested-for-death-of-brit-at-phuket-resort-72615.php#U7kadjK3z834XxIM.97

Notice the postscript in that news story? 

"In compiling this story The Phuket News has received several threatening emails and phone calls. All information regarding these threats have been passed on to the police."

So yeah, don't wanna get mixed up in that.

Archived