For a change = returning to LOS ?

swissie

Lot's of threads about Farangs contemplating to leave Thailand. This one is about "Returning to Thailand". Next to many vists to Thailand before, I stayed in Thailand for 5 years. Then came a time, I felt that it is time to leave Thailand. Travelled around the globe, looking for alternatives. I found, that going back to my home-country was the best alternative at the time. Said and done.

Truly, a country that has developped Democracy and the Economic Well-Being of it's citizens to perfection. So, what's wrong? Nothing! Everything works to perfection.

Except one thing: The lack of "THE SPICE OF LIFE". Replaced by "security".
Found out the hard way that "security" and "boredom" make good bed-fellows. Not sure if I want to have the latter as my "bed-fellow" for the rest of my days.

Seriously considering returning to Thailand long-term. Especially as my home-country health-insurance offers renewable 12 month Travel-Insurance coverage (in combination with standart home-country insurance) at an extremely competitive rate.

As said, this thread is in stark opposition of the many "leaving Thailand threads". The very green grass of home may not replace "THE SPICE OF LIVE" that Thailand has to offer.
I shall see, nothing decided yet.

PS: "The spice of live" that Thailand has to offer goes far beyond "Female-Companionship". I venture to say.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are always looking for greener pastures only to realize once they make the change it is still just grass and given time it to will turn brown.

If someone has their health and an interest in living life... it does not get much better than that

12 hours ago, swissie said:

As said, this thread is in stark opposition of the many "leaving Thailand threads". The very green grass of home may not replace "THE SPICE OF LIVE" that Thailand has to offer.
I shall see, nothing decided yet.

I admire you for making the move instead of just talking about it.  I do wish that farangs who are unhappy with their life in Thailand simply go back home instead of whining/whinging endlessly on TV.  They may realize that their unhappiness really has nothing to do with Thailand but more their inner self.  And if it turns out that they are happiest at home and never return, even better.  Everybody wins!

12 hours ago, swissie said:

Except one thing: The lack of "THE SPICE OF LIFE". Replaced by "security".
Found out the hard way that "security" and "boredom" make good bed-fellows. Not sure if I want to have the latter as my "bed-fellow" for the rest of my days.

Very much my experience when going back to the US. Boring police state with everyone chasing some ridiculous fantasy life fed to them by expert marketing. What makes me really sad is how so few seem to be aware of it.

I spent most of my adult life (1979-2012) in Canberra, the (yawn) bourgeois capital of the universe, clean, well-planned, excellent infrastructure including roads, splendid restaurants, good classical music, nice people from all parts of the globe (though mostly pink like me) ... Then, after my first venture to Thailand in late 2011 where I met my boyfriend, we finally decided to move to Thailand permanently and did so late 2015.

And here we are in Prasat south Surin, happy as Larry in a lovely new big house with room for my library, chooks in the back yard and the family farm 40 minutes away. I shudder at the thought of moving back to Oz, wonderful (and safe) though life there was.

None of which stops me from complaining about Thailand and the Thais!

The spice of life... right on spot! 

The richer, and safer, the country, the deader it is. 

Thailand has its problems, like every country, but it is alive! 

No 9 to 5, no Sunday close, no August holidays and no long winter... life goes on 24/7.

In Germany, you feel like killing yourself after 5 pm, in France, it's on Sunday... Southern Europe, Spain, Portugal, Italy, fares better, but still comes short to Thailand. 

Plus there is obviously the climate issue... during the 8 to 9 months of winter, Europeans are not encouraged to wander outdoors, and remain locked at home. 

I am retired from San Francisco and have lived in LOS for 25 years.

I LOVE San Francisco but I would never go back to live there. I am single and with all the restrictions and laws, the States pose a boring life.  Thailand has nightlife, a free spirit, good weather and lots of things to do for an older guy.  

I live just outside Pattaya where good restaurants are cheap and plentiful, friendly gals greet you with smiles and companionship, and the cost of living is far less than what I was used to. 

Many of my friends who have come to visit me are now living here. 

Even with the tightening of Immigration enforcement, Thailand provides a safe and comfortable place to live.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I admire you for making the move instead of just talking about it.  I do wish that farangs who are unhappy with their life in Thailand simply go back home instead of whining/whinging endlessly on TV.  They may realize that their unhappiness really has nothing to do with Thailand but more their inner self.  And if it turns out that they are happiest at home and never return, even better.  Everybody wins!

Post of the year. Well said.

13 hours ago, swissie said:

Seriously considering returning to Thailand long-term. Especially as my home-country health-insurance offers renewable 12 month Travel-Insurance coverage (in combination with standart home-country insurance) at an extremely competitive rate.

Nice and so true story!

From your profile-name I presume that you are referring to Switzerland.

Quick question > Is the 12 month Travel-insurance coverage you are talking about, also possible for EU-citizens?

I am from Belgium and simply cannot find such package (the best I found was an annual policy covering trips up to 6 months, but you need to return for 2 weeks to your home-country, before your next 6 month trip will be covered).

13 hours ago, swissie said:

Especially as my home-country health-insurance offers renewable 12 month Travel-Insurance coverage (in combination with standart home-country insurance) at an extremely competitive rate.

Read the fine print extremely carefully. Travel insurance does not equal worldwide residential insurance. Lucky I have that with an excellent insurer.

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I left and went through a few withdrawals. I returned for 2 months about a year after my departure. I then remembered why I left in the first place. Haven't been tempted back since.

different people have different goals and/or expectations, he said what he thinks fits him we have to accept & respect that

14 hours ago, swissie said:

Especially as my home-country health-insurance offers renewable 12 month Travel-Insurance coverage (in combination with standart home-country insurance) at an extremely competitive rate.

Before you do decide to come here, I would suggest you go over the fine print of the policy, especially when it comes to Travel Insurance as you will find that it will only cover you as a traveller, not someone who is residing here, like I said, worth looking into.

As for Standard home-country insurance, the same would apply, as I said, just saying as I know in Australia I cannot get either as my residency status changed once I was out of the country for more than 183 days, but I don't know your circumstances, different countries, different rules, but some same same if you follow me, so please do look into it.

I was fortunate that my very first sejourn in Thailand was in NE Isaan. Small town divided in villages, or Bans. Life was everywhere with children, dogs, cows, wandering down the street. Food vendors going by on their tricycles. Hospitality by my host was warm and open. Not to mention the symphony of greens of all shades, the weather with its storms and bucketloads of rain. I loved it. Had to fly back to WA. Talk about boring suburbia. I want to go back, settle there, find a companion to accompany me beyond my 69 years. 

Thais are as they are, so are the Turks, Indians, Bengladeshis and the rest of the world. What they have and the others don’t is hospitality, smiles, easy goingness and tolerance. I never felt any form of discrimination because I was a non thai speaking farang.

19 minutes ago, Jean Marie said:

Talk about boring suburbia. I want to go back, settle there, find a companion to accompany me beyond my 69 years. 

Good luck to you.     I hope you find an outstanding Thai village  gentleman who will  hopefully be the companion you seek.

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:

If you enjoy driving, I would suggest staying where you are. Because Thai drivers will, guaranteed, raise your blood pressure and take all the joy of driving away from you. JMHO

Opinions differ. I have been driving a scooter here for ten years, a car for 7. Yes, many Thai drivers are morons with no spatial awareness. However, I have no problem provided I drive defensively and undertake constant risk assessment. It's the same principle as putting a seat belt on automatically when you get into any car.

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:

If you enjoy driving, I would suggest staying where you are. Because Thai drivers will, guaranteed, raise your blood pressure and take all the joy of driving away from you. JMHO

One of the reasons i enjoy living in Thailand is that I never have to drive again. 

Second best move of my life: emigrating to the US. Got a great education, worked a well-paying job saving enough to not have any worries anymore.

Best move: leaving that Godforsaken place with half the people at the others throats, endless winter and sexual prudes.

No more moves I hope. Love it here in Bkk. Great food, dance clubs, babes, and Bkk doesn't sleep. Can go dance an hour at Mixx, bring home a babe, go out again for a relaxing massage in the afterglow and round off the evening/night with waffles and cream at a 24hr. place.

I don't care if they make me fill out a TM 30, 34, 45A, 91, 102, make me crawl on my hands and knees at the IO, I ain't leaving.

Archived