For a change = returning to LOS ?

swissie

There’s no magic in the West, well at least where I hail from. One often finds oneself unsmiling and even scowling at the rule & regs and just the hurried way of life in general. After Thailand, ’home’ becomes boring and dull. Even with the upheaval and high baht, I’d be back in a shot if I didn’t have commitments.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/19/2019 at 3:23 AM, owenm said:

There are travel insurance policies on offer, that can be either multiple trip with an annual policy, or a continuous 12 mth policy that can be renewed.. 

So many conditions in ultra fine print. Your policy commences from leaving your home country and arriving back in your home country. Policy is only applicable for tourism and you must be a resident of your home country.

If you travel with a SETV or METV you are covered, because you have a tourist visa. But if on a Non-Imm visa, the policy is null and void, even though you are classed as a temporary resident, but with annual extensions.. Then you are classed as a non resident from your home country. 

So for those that want to spend 6-9 mths in LOS on an METV you can be covered with the appropriate policy. But try and use it on your retirement or marriage visa extension, and you will soon enough discover that you will not be covered, full stop.. 

Hi owenm,

FYI > In follow of the Sept 19 post.

I was worried after reading your post in which you stated that if you are staying in Thailand on a Non Imm Visa that your travel insurance would be null and void.  Maybe that's a clause in US or UK insurance policies, but that isn't the case in Belgium (at least not with the Travel Insurance policy I took).  I checked the fine-print of the contract > no mentioning of this and neither an age restriction, you only need to be Belgian citizen and have your residence in Belgium.  I even wrote to the Insurance company and they confirmed in writing that as a Belgian resident the policy covers my trips abroad for up to 6 months, and then I need to be 15 days in Belgium again, to be covered again for up to 6 months for my next trip abroad. There is also no age restriction, and the policy is extremely generous when something happens, and is amazingly cheap for what it covers = 255,- Euro for a full year with no 'own risk'.  Guess I am lucky to have taken that policy which looks like a very good deal compared with the conditions/prices that I read on the Forum.

Archived