BANGKOK
webfact

Cabbies threaten to petition Administrative Court to stop ride hailing services

Cabbies threaten to petition Administrative Court to stop ride hailing services

taxiok.jpg

Taxi drivers are up in arms about ride-hailing services and are threatening to take their case to the Administrative Court with a demand for about 8.5 billion baht compensation from the government if ride-hailing services are legalized.

Led by Mr. Woraphol Kamkhunthod, president of the Taxi Drivers Association, about 50 representatives of cabbies in Bangkok rallied in front of the Transport Ministry to protest against the legalization of ride hailing services like Grab.

He said Grab cars serve passengers in a way that takes advantage of taxies, because Grab taxies have lower operating costs, estimated at about 8,000 baht a year, compared to about 25,000 baht a year for a taxi. Additionally, Grab cars are not required to install or use the “Taxi OK” application, which costs about 20,000 baht for each taxi.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabbies-threaten-to-petition-administrative-court-to-stop-ride-hailing-services/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ha ha a bit of competition and they start squealing, this is good news for all in Central Bangkok wanting a taxi to Lak Si at 4.30 pm

Nowadays I mostly have negative views on regular taxis. Sometimes, I pretend not to be able to speak much Thai so I don't have to listen to them complain about how far I'm going. Much better service with Grab.

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Like 1

I was converted by Uber and now happily use Grab, good professional service.

john in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Taxi drivers are up in arms about ride-hailing services and are threatening to take their case to the Administrative Court with a demand for about 8.5 billion baht compensation from the government if ride-hailing services are legalized.

Go and do it. Stop talking. Stop threatening. Just do it. 

Then again...maybe you know you can't win and you're full of BS.

• Like 1

No sympathy for taxi drivers from me.  Time and time again we have been knocked back for wanting to go somewhere the driver doesn't want to go.  If your a taxi driver it's your job to go where the work takes you....well that's what I think.  As a P/T taxi driver back in the 70's I scored some decent tips doing oddball and out of the way jobs. 

• Like 2

They are not mutually exclusive .… apparently.

8E9F27E9-2377-4EE1-9776-0E6B8512E92D.jpeg

• Like 1

I've had to pay a surcharge of 30 baht for Grab taxis.  Never use them now.