Cabbies threaten to petition Administrative Court to stop ride hailing services

webfact

Cabbies threaten to petition Administrative Court to stop ride hailing services

taxiok.jpg

Taxi drivers are up in arms about ride-hailing services and are threatening to take their case to the Administrative Court with a demand for about 8.5 billion baht compensation from the government if ride-hailing services are legalized.

Led by Mr. Woraphol Kamkhunthod, president of the Taxi Drivers Association, about 50 representatives of cabbies in Bangkok rallied in front of the Transport Ministry to protest against the legalization of ride hailing services like Grab.

He said Grab cars serve passengers in a way that takes advantage of taxies, because Grab taxies have lower operating costs, estimated at about 8,000 baht a year, compared to about 25,000 baht a year for a taxi. Additionally, Grab cars are not required to install or use the “Taxi OK” application, which costs about 20,000 baht for each taxi.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabbies-threaten-to-petition-administrative-court-to-stop-ride-hailing-services/

thaipbs.jpg

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Taxi drivers are up in arms about ride-hailing services and are threatening to take their case to the Administrative Court with a demand for about 8.5 billion baht compensation from the government if ride-hailing services are legalized.

Go and do it. Stop talking. Stop threatening. Just do it. 

Then again...maybe you know you can't win and you're full of BS.

Grab and others work on an evaluation system. If the driver is a jerk or has a filthy car he/ she loses the job to pick up passengers.

3-4 times I have reported on regular taxi drivers in Bangkok and no response from my call. Reporting dishonest taxi drivers ( their registered number) is a waste of time. 

-All a farce.  

I’ll take a Grab driver when I can.

No sympathy for taxi drivers from me.  Time and time again we have been knocked back for wanting to go somewhere the driver doesn't want to go.  If your a taxi driver it's your job to go where the work takes you....well that's what I think.  As a P/T taxi driver back in the 70's I scored some decent tips doing oddball and out of the way jobs. 

If they created a good taxi booking app, like the one in Hong Kong, there would be zero room for Grab, Uber etc. The app is simply too good and everyone uses it. But the would require thinking and planning on a level above the rice farmer drivers we have. They prefer to use machete instead of the (small) brain they haveguide_to_getting_around_HK_hive-life_asia_taxi-app_take-taxi.jpg.68bb737660a441d22ba86cf640765a7f.jpg

photo1588.jpg

I am back in Thailand after being out for a few months. I noticed two things using grab this past week that I hadn't noticed back in June:

- Bangkok Grab drivers are a very high percentage driving traditional taxi cabs, in the past I had only once had a traditional taxi cab lick me up in a grab job. This hasn't been an issue for me just more difficult to discern which car is actually mind. But the drivers have been good, actually one driver played a part in saving me from serious harm through illness Saturday. 

- When requesting a job, the number of drivers cancelling jobs after holding the job in their app for 4-5-6 minutes has rapidly increased. We stayed at Novotel Nana Soi 4. It seems drivers hold the jobs and make you wait along with others coming online to create a surge, then cancel your job so that when you go to get your new fare the price has gone up 10-15%. This would be done several times, eventually leading to a doubling in price. This made some of our longer journeys over to Don Mueang or Bang Phli quite expensive.

Grab needs to knock this scam on the head fast or risk their platform becoming just another haven for scumbags. 

Archived