Is it busy in CM now?

stament

"Empty roads". You need a reality check.   :biggrin:   

Go to walking street though, there are significantly less people. Airport Plaza mall has far less East Asian tourists strolling around with their "spinner" suitcases, stopping in Tops to load up on mackeral, Durian chips, & dried Durian. Quality tourists on the prowl.   :thumbsup:    Did I say East Asian, I meant chinese. Less than last years low season too sure, but not by all that much, although, and you remember September last is when the chinese departure made itself felt ... oooooooH

There was a video made that said CM was dead. That guy is on the 'Digital Gonad' wavelength. Most definitely the VISA crackdown has affected them more than regular tourists. I should say they seem to be more on top of things than skint pats and backpackers though. They got out before things got desperate for them. Moved to Danang or Washtucna.

Went up the Pilgrims Trail Monday, lots of tourists walking it.

Lots of Italians walking around Wat Doi Suthep.

Got my m/c test, insurance and tax, those places were busy with Thai people.

Gekko Garden Pub had four or five elderly expats at lunchtime.

Seemed the same as usual to me.

Compared to 10 years ago it's teaming but also compared to 10 years ago people are just not happy anymore. 12pm closing bars, increased traffic and incompetents running the government what would you expect?  is CM still the best part of Thailand?  Hell yes!

September has never been true high season, things will pick up in October.

There will be fewer Chinese than before - because of both lower consumer confidence at home and the devalued Yuan - but, don't worry, it will still feel like too many.

I would expect fewer digital nomads, and for shorter periods than previous years, mainly concentrated around November and December. That is the one segment of the Chiang Mai tourist market that has taken a hit it will probably never recover from - the city will still be popular with online workers, but you won't see the same "network effect" kicking in once you strip out the longtermers who were the heart and soul of that scene. That is a gift from Thailand to Vietnam.

The vast majority of regular tourists will be unaware of the crackdown on westerners, this year's bad burning season, or even the rise of the baht - I suspect it will take a few years for the changes in Thailand to filter through to mainstream awareness in the west. There won't be quite as many as the last few years, but it will still feel overcrowded in November and December.

As always, those in charge will have no actual idea why tourists come and what they should do to keep them coming.

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

September has never been true high season, things will pick up in October.

There will be fewer Chinese than before - because of both lower consumer confidence at home and the devalued Yuan - but, don't worry, it will still feel like too many.

I would expect fewer digital nomads, and for shorter periods than previous years, mainly concentrated around November and December. That is the one segment of the Chiang Mai tourist market that has taken a hit it will probably never recover from - the city will still be popular with online workers, but you won't see the same "network effect" kicking in once you strip out the longtermers who were the heart and soul of that scene. That is a gift from Thailand to Vietnam.

The vast majority of regular tourists will be unaware of the crackdown on westerners, this year's bad burning season, or even the rise of the baht - I suspect it will take a few years for the changes in Thailand to filter through to mainstream awareness in the west. There won't be quite as many as the last few years, but it will still feel overcrowded in November and December.

As always, those in charge will have no actual idea why tourists come and what they should do to keep them coming.

Well put.

Chiang Mai could be the ultimate temple town, with most sites of interest within walking distance from each other, connected by sidewalks and bicycle lanes (the safe kind). A town where tourist can get lost for days exploring without getting run over or gassed by songtaews. Where tourists may cross the road without fear of death. A town with (clean) public transport options further out. A town with a few less pharmacies and latex pillow shops and incentives in place for more traditional business.

It should become the spiritual heart of Thailand with ecotourism thriving in the hinterland. Sustainable, animal-friendly, green. 

Shame no on is in charge in this town. Build condos instead.

Just a reminder: China Golden Week (no work), and China National Day coming soon.  Nat Day on Octo 1, golden traveling thereafter.

Nearby big china Province, Guangdong, has about 112 million chinese persons eager to get out, have fun and spend/spend/spend.

Thailand country has only 70 million persons but i am not sure what they want.

Archived