Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Thai family think the same about them is do I.

"why is our government so corrupt", "why do my people lie so much", "why do my friends try and cheat me".

All stuff my gf or daughter say frequently about Thai people, no prompting from me.

Last time I looked, the Thai government does NOT have a monopoly on corruption and Thai people don't have a monopoly on cheating.

...or lying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

People complain about their government and compatriots in every country, but when their guest do it, is IMO a different thing.

My Thai family also complain at times but they also have a lot of pride in themselves and their country. IMO rightly so. 

Your family think you're a guest?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Naw hes an experienced expat Brit, he looks askance at most folks in the world except his kids.

My 4 Brit kids are worthless scum, my 2 Thai kids are really nice people.

I definitely prefer my Thai children.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If Thailand and it's people were soooo bad, why oh why do millions come every year after year, why are there so many choosing to live and invest their money and lives lining here.

In the past, mostly for the cheap and easily available women, although it's not so cheap now.

I can't explain the family groups coming here, Vietnam is a much better/safer/more interesting place for family holidays.

If I were starting again, as a single footloose guy, it'd probably be in Cambodia or the Philippines.

The western guys I knew that came year after year now go there.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Show me where Thai people write this thing about foreigner.

Show me one example. I never see it. I read a lot.

agree with all you said, but its almost exclusive to tvf members. i think bottom line is they have no interaction with thai men whatsoever, no hobby like joining a bike club,

no school or work mates, no common language,

i know a grand total of 2 men bitching about thais irl,

one of them is dead since long ago

• Like 1

I think the present political situation has changed my attitude to Thai people for the worse. Firstly they closed down the city and millions supported them. As has happened historically the army stepped in. If you are lucky enough to live in a democracy why act against a government you elected. Many countries have bad governments and then they wait till election time to pass judgement. Thailand wasn't happy with this system. Second it seems the present government does not like foreigners and is doing it's worst to make them feel unwelcome. A look at the unsmiling faces at the immigration office personifies this. I come from a country that has welcomed migrants but in Thailand I couldn't even volunteer at a local school legally. The other thing is I hate the way they litter their country. It seems selfish that they will leave rubbish for others but then they know no better because the government is too inefficient to educate them. I live in a local village and have many Thai friends I like a lot.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your family think you're a guest?

Regardless of what anyone thinks we are all guests here.

I have a Australian friend that though I don't agree with his politics, on a personal level I like very much.. He constantly posts critical opinions about The Australian government ,and other Australians on FB, but he is also very proud of his country,  If a lot of Thais living in Australia were constantly posting negative opinions about Australia, I am sure he would not like it.

Same applies to me , and I am sure to you, so why not to Thai people?

Black people can use the N word with each other, I challenge you to go in Harlem and use it yourself. 

Don't you see my point?  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am always amazed by their creative solution to problems, and their ability to do so much with so litle.

It's not only in  Thailand;
you will meet such people all over the world.
Peasants in all countries are generally poor people who know how to find ingenious solutions with three pieces of string and two tools.

• Like 1

Yes I do. They have several traits which are quite admirable, such as their unwavering commitment to family members. Or their talent for patience in the face of a bureaucracy which in some other countries would be hanging from lamp posts. Party animals par excellence.

I could whinge on about their faults, but every nationality has some.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MartinL said:

The one qualification I'd make is that I REALLY dislike Thai driving habits and, by extension, Thai drivers. Dangerous and inconsiderate in general. But I can like a Thai person at the same time as I dislike their driving - that includes my lovely wife

Ditto, but excluding my lovely wife, she is actually quite a good driver ! ????

Motorcycles are a hobby of mine and initially would have liked to get a 250/400cc, the wife quickly bought me an Almera before I had a chance to go to the Kawasaki showroom. Now I'm in agreement with her best keeping my motorcycle hobby for when I'm in the UK.

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I can't say that there are nationalities i like more then others, for me its more about finding common ground and communicating. Thais have some bad habits like how some of them drive and litter. Then again if there were not many checks in my country people would drive bad too.

I must say I have some really nice Thai people near me and some bad ones. Kinda like how it would be back where I am from.

I tend not to like the sort of Thai people who say "Thai people" all the time when they talk.

I was in the supermarket with the kids battling over large water bottles, and some bird came up to me and said "Thai people like Singha water, is cleaner", and I said, "They're all the same to me".

It's like when they ask you "Chorp Muang Thai mai?" when they run out things to say, and I find myself saying things like "It's alright, but it's not as good as Cambodia" lol.

What we're really talking about is not "Thai people" but subcultures... and Thailand has many who don't have much in common with each other within Thailand itself. There are lots of subdivisions within Thailand, and they often don't mix or don't mix well. As "farang" we are also a minority subculture, and are more likely to identify with similarly peripheralised subcultures than others, but the moment you start saying I don't like X-people, you'll meet one, who is irritatingly nice and ruins your whole stereotype.

We all build up rules-of-thumb about various ethnic groups or nationalities based on experiences so far, and they will always be limited by us ourselves and the situations we put ourselves in.

• Like 1

Maybe at your local immigration office but I find my local IO to be very nice and charming. I speak to them respectfully, but would do the same in my home country. Show respect and you get respect. The same goes for the post office, bank or government offices. A lot of it is body language, I assume. 
I am amazed that our (not rich) village lacks 18 to 24 year olds. They all seem to be off at the university. I do enjoy talking to them on their school breaks.

I try always to be respectful. I was trying to explain my feeling of rejection by the Thai government and how it affects my feelings towards innocent Thai people. Many of them are nice at immigration but I have the face of one girl burned into my mind in a bad way. One person affects my attitude towards immigration just like the government affects my attitude towards Thai people. I am not saying am right in my attitude but find it hard to change it. Just trying to explain to Yinn why I feel this way.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1