Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

4 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

I tend not to like the sort of Thai people who say "Thai people" all the time when they talk.

I was in the supermarket with the kids battling over large water bottles, and some bird came up to me and said "Thai people like Singha water, is cleaner", and I said, "They're all the same to me".

It's like when they ask you "Chorp Muang Thai mai?" when they run out things to say, and I find myself saying things like "It's alright, but it's not as good as Cambodia" lol.

What we're really talking about is not "Thai people" but subcultures... and Thailand has many who don't have much in common with each other within Thailand itself. There are lots of subdivisions within Thailand, and they often don't mix or don't mix well. As "farang" we are also a minority subculture, and are more likely to identify with similarly peripheralised subcultures than others, but the moment you start saying I don't like X-people, you'll meet one, who is irritatingly nice and ruins your whole stereotype.

We all build up rules-of-thumb about various ethnic groups or nationalities based on experiences so far, and they will always be limited by us ourselves and the situations we put ourselves in.

Those are just people with nationalistic feelings, its is more prevalent in some countries then others. Its like they get pride from belonging to a country. I see it a lot on Thaivisa too, bashing other countries thinking theirs is perfect. Nationalists are usually not fun people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

They hate “Thai male” the most.

This is a very interesting section of this poster's lamentable series of questions, and the one I find most perplexing.  

Most Thai women will tell you how much they can't stand Thai men.  I don't need to go through all the attributes attached to them, but they are mostly not good.

So why would this poster be surprised that most foreigners have the same opinion of Thai males?  

I have to say I have had some decent Taxi drivers recently even though their driving skills suck, but it is the male we come in contact with, who tries to cheat us in Taxis.  It is the male who sits in the 7/11 drinking 4 bottles of Chang, then off on his motorbike to kill someone or himself.  I have never seen a woman do the same.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

Open your eyes OP.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Those are just people with nationalistic feelings, its is more prevalent in some countries then others. Its like they get pride from belonging to a country. I see it a lot on Thaivisa too, bashing other countries thinking theirs is perfect. Nationalists are usually not fun people.

I'm an ironic Nationalist - I hate my country, but I don't want anyone foreign living in it either ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dimitriv said:

My girlfriend was very surprised that I do not like beer, and that I am used to work all day. She thought that most foreigners spend all day in a bar drinking beer and never work. Her female friends had the same prejudice.

My opinion about Thai people...  Usually they are ok.  The ones I know are a bit lazy. Things never get finished. I notice that they do not care about the environment. And are often not very capable to do their job right. They usually don't take responsibility if things go wrong. I am not sure, but I think this has to do with culture and a work environment where own initiative and taking responsibility are not appreciated.  

As a result, things like customer service aren't great either. I really hate that if I have a problem, someone is laughing without doing anything.

Oh, and where I come from we say:  "Only stupid people laugh without reason."  

Spend a bit of time in Jakarta, and you'll think customer service and attitudes to pollution in Bangkok are fantastic.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many farangs have "many Thai friends"? In my experience very few. 

OK, how does this equate with your experience?

I have more Thai friends than farang friends?

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't read your whole post... Many of your posts are aggressive. And then it seems you expect friendly responses.

Maybe, if you did read all the OP's post, you may appreciate that the OP was only paraphrasing what "aggressive" farangs are saying on this forum.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

I am pretty sure i know what type of women tell you that line.

If I am wrong please tell us which "survey" you are referring to

You're wrong.  Most women, not bar-girls, will happily tell you of their distrust.  This goes for professional women as well.

11 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

I tend not to like the sort of Thai people who say "Thai people" all the time when they talk.

I was in the supermarket with the kids battling over large water bottles, and some bird came up to me and said "Thai people like Singha water, is cleaner", and I said, "They're all the same to me"

Wow and here I am asking the Thai ladies "which one number 1 for Thai" when in the detergent or sauce aisles of a supermarket.

I mean, Im not going to ask a Thai what the best cheddar is, but surely they know their Oyster Sauce better than I. I have even had two of them argue over it. Sometimes I even get the concern: "maybe too strong for farang". Thats sweet that they worry.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you like Thai people  ?

I like Thai people the same way I like most people ….  respect is something that is earned, and generally if a Thai person expresses a certain level of respect then I in turn show courtesy and respect to them.

I have several Thai friends that I like alot and always appreciate their company when we go have food & drinks.

There are good and bad farangs, there are good and bad Thais.

There are good and bad farangs in my home country as in most countries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

When he says “Thais......” they is talking about me, my mum, my dad. Is offensive.
He try to make everyone hate thai people same him.

Yes, there is a small percentage of angry/racist/ bigoted foreigners on ThaiVisa.

My suggestion:  just stop reading their <deleted> or  "click on your name at the top right hand corner and select "ignored users". 

It is worse in America i believe

In America, where I came from , over 61,000,000 people voted for Trump.  A large percentage of those voters only like other white european Americans, are homophobic, racist, etc...

America has tens of millions of Latinos, Asians, and Africans citizens, all taking offences from other American citizens. 

So be glad your Thai neighbors are not making offence to your family as is happening in America 

As long as Thai people like and respect Thai people you can have a happy life.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

From my experience, Thai people lie more often than not.  I'm told it is a way of saving face.  Most decent people cannot stand liars.  I have been lied to by Thais so often, that I just assume if they are talking, they are lying. 

That is from experience.  The wife lies and then lies about lying, she says, it is the Thai way.

Why should I argue this fact?

I agree 100% ….  some thais don't think nothing about cheating and lying to your face which shows zero respect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

You're wrong.  Most women, not bar-girls, will happily tell you of their distrust.  This goes for professional women as well.

And most women, any woman the world over, are quite adept at telling the fragile male ego, any male ego the world over, exactly what she thinks he wants to hear.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

How many Thai children grow up with only Momma, or Grandma?  

Crunch the numbers.  

Only the ones that have a mother working bars and an errant father (old stereotype)

Only the ones that have both parents working to keep up with the cost of living (new stereotype)

Edited by NanLaew
sp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I agree 100% ….  some thais don't think nothing about cheating and lying to your face which shows zero respect.

And yet 61,000,000 people in America voted for a guy who cheated and lied his whole life and he became President of the United States hahahaha

Respect and 30 baht will get you a cup of coffee 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Really? Where are you finding these Thai women?

Thanks for skipping over the Thai male attributes BTW.

No need to answer that first question but you could have married up though, no?

Why did you assume otherwise?

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

well, if you're going to throw out such generalizations let's just say that WOMEN ALL OVER THE WORLD DISTRUST MEN .      Think BIG !

Let's not.  Good attempt at obfuscation of the issue at hand.  I'll give you some credit.

• Confused 1