Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Don, can you advise where you are seeing all these angry, hostile, bad look, ugly face, unfriendly and unhappy Thai faces?

Thanks!

NL

You need to go to Cambodia or Nepal or India and then compare to Thailand. I rarely have bad experiences with anyone in those countries. Thailand is about 1 in a week!

Recently i had a bottle of baby oil in a shop that slipped out of fingers, it was cheap quality knock off and i think the plastic was already cracked, it didn't drop far, it should not have splatter the way it did. I was a 304 shop of something. I told the women and thought that would be it, they would clean it up. But she freaked out and demanded i pay for it. Then she threatened to call the police (again.) I was a scam for sure. Conflicts with Thai's happen all the time.

Go to Cambodia people are friendly nice easy going etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is the first time we have seen a Thai person write on Thaivisa forum. 

Unfortunately, due to the language barrier, most Thai people don't know what most Farang people really think.

Welcome to the real world.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Want to hear something funny? My number two gripe about Thailand is the lack of a proper third wire electric ground.

Not at my  place...............because i did it  all myself, want to electrocute  yourself at my place here, do it in safety???? I think after 3  attempts you are released?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chazar said:

But when you get into a  taxi you cant choose  the driver and if  you get ripped off several times it doesnt bode well for how a  country appears to you, many interactions  cannot be chosen.

I'll admit that I've had conmen cabbies in the past 25 years I've lived here. More from the beginning than lately. But overall I would estimate that being below 1% of the rides. Unfortunately though, most people will remember bad experiences easier than the good ones.

But I get your point. Sometimes you can't avoid people you engage with, but still, from my experience (not just in Thailand), if you treat people well, they generally treat you well also. If you treat them badly, you usually get the same medicine very quickly.

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Please do not judge farangs in general, by the disgruntled few that you encounter here. 

I like the farang I meet before. I just shocked why SOME hate so much. That only small part of what he/they say. 

Is everyday on TVF, nearly every thred.

and I want to say, Thais don’t hate farangs. Why they say that? 

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

They REALLY want Thailand to fail, they happy when Thai people die in the flood, on motorcycle, murder.

Total BS...however, the comment about thinking more of your dog than a farang is apparent in the way many Thais treat farangs...

Your rant revealed more about you than disgruntled farangs...IMHO   ????

My rant? I quote the other guy rant. 

Not my rant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MartinL said:

many Thais have chosen to say " ... is the 'farang' ...", " ... does the farang ... " rather than " ... does your husband ... ". I see that as EXTREMELY rude 

Ok Mr Martin. 

Sorry you think that sir, but they not try to be extremely rude.

What about the quote I post. You think that extremely rude? I think he try. Different.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many farangs have "many Thai friends"? In my experience very few. 

A lot. Villagefarang and other have.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't read your whole post because it's just too long. 

Maybe you should listen more and talk less. 

So you not listen to me, but I should listen you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Ok Mr Martin. 

Sorry you think that sir, but they not try to be extremely rude.

What about the quote I post. You think that extremely rude? I think he try. Different.

The first step in fixing a problem is to recognize that there is a problem. So if I was you, or any Thai person, I'd review all your quotes again. Some of them may be a bit far fetched, but there are quite a few that are fair assessments, and therefore helpful for any Thai open minded person.

If I had any message for the Thai people it'd be "Please fix your country, don't you see you are falling behind all your neighbors, and the rest of the world? For good reasons".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

My mechanic's wife (the boss) ripped me off for bht 3000, my on fault !  But i find her the exception and the Thais i deal with are generally pleasant and helpful, especially in outback Isaan

Unfortunately I know that story well from my own experience, the builder guy I use will not ever talk price, the wife always does it and its usually high, she even explained on one occasion that the price is high specifically because it was NOT a Thai price !!! 

Pet issue of mine, hate this dual pricing attitude.It certainly doesnt help to foster good relations.

• Like 2

A forum like this tends to attract complaints, it doesnt necessarilly represnt the overall feeling, all of the time.

It does however reflect those times when maybe someone just had a bad experience, they would then come to the forum to complain and vent..

Not to say some people dont post about good experiences however I would guess that the former is a higher ratio.

My local som tam seller is lovely women always smiling, I love my Thai wife, although Im not so  keen on the Thai guy who tried to scam me.

Im more likely to post about the 'scam' experience than the smiles I got from the walk down the soi.

????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FredGallaher said:

We must live in different parts of Thailand. Although my wife is a better barginner than I, no one says they charge more because I'm not Thai. Recently, I had to take a friend to the government hospital and he had an emergency surgery. The doctor knew it was private pay and volunteered that the Thai price would be charged. I understand about National Parks and such and don't have a problem because it clear and posted. Often if the ranger is manning the entrance we get waved in after I address them in Thai.

Agree re: National parks and such, but why did the Dr have to even mention it at all, suspecting you may be charged more, as is often the case with builders etc in my experience, and being told you are really stings, IMHO

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Agree re: National parks and such, but why did the Dr have to even mention it at all, suspecting you may be charged more, as is often the case with builders etc in my experience, and being told you are really stings, IMHO

Interesting. My main pet peeve is "officially sanctioned" dual pricing, as opposed to one guy wanting to charge foreigners a higher price. If the latter, you simply choose someone else.

Different story if you're being asked to pay more at a national park which has 2 different prices. You can try to bargain or get the Thai price, but it mostly doesn't work, even if you can speak fluent Thai (I know from experience). Smaller places do often honor the Thai price, more well known ones like Khao Yai definitely don't unless you furnish proof of Thai citizenship.

I would never go to a government hospital, for one, with insurance there's no need (and private hospitals are just so much cleaner and better) and 2) knowing that they can legally charge you a higher price to a Lao or Cambodian or Burmese laborer to me is even more offensive than just asking me to pay more than a Thai alone.

Edited by drbeach

Apologies for the blank reply above, I'm not sure how to delete, can't even remember what I wanted to say, probably a rant!

Anyway back on topic....

Nearly all the Thai people I've met have been fine, mainly friendly and inquisitive.

There does seem to be a reluctance to interact with strangers out in the sticks,

but I don't take offence.

The driving standards are ok outside of the large cities, I drive a car so feel safe enough.

I wouldn't or couldn't ride a motorcycle. Coming from the UK and driving on the correct

side of the road helps, but you do need eyes everywhere looking out for the zillions of

bikes buzzing around.

Most of my time in Thailand is spent up in rural Ubon. Life is very slow and there is no

rushing around urgently like you get back home and the folk up there spend a lot of

time doing nothing, it takes a bit of getting used to, but I guess the hot weather and

rice growing industry does lead to a lot of this inactivity.

All in all I do like the Thai people I interact with, and if I did have a bad encounter I 

wouldn't bother report it here.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I didn't read your whole post because it's just too long. 

Maybe you should listen more and talk less. 

So you not listen to me, but I should listen you?

It seems you have a problem understanding farangs.

And I advise you that if you want to understand them then listen.

I suggest you listen to many of them with different age, nationality, different time in Thailand, etc.

When you do that you will slowly understand them more and more.

Of course you don't have to listen. But then don't be surprised if your perception and reality have not much in common.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, rumak said:

Someone here says   "calm down" .   You take it in a defensive way. 

I not sure if he talk about me. Or about the guy I quote.

still not sure. He not answer.

7 hours ago, rumak said:

I find that on this forum you often are quick to take offense at others opinions .

Many opinion like this guy. I should accept? Shut my mouth?

7 hours ago, rumak said:

In some cases you might have a point but in others it seems to me that you are looking for a fight. 

I will fight back. Or should I shut my mouth?

7 hours ago, rumak said:

I DO GET that you are upset when stupid people say stupid things.  Try to be smarter than them !

I know already.

7 hours ago, rumak said:

Appreciate the diversity of peoples opinions and hang out with those you like.  Forget the others. Best, Rumak

I never block anyone. I never report anyone.

but I think I allowed to reply.

annoy me they say “Thais hate farang”. Because it not true. 

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Wow and here I am asking the Thai ladies "which one number 1 for Thai" when in the detergent or sauce aisles of a supermarket.

I mean, Im not going to ask a Thai what the best cheddar is, but surely they know their Oyster Sauce better than I. I have even had two of them argue over it. Sometimes I even get the concern: "maybe too strong for farang". Thats sweet that they worry.

The weather is rain a lot Ranong now. Everyday. I think better to come December.

Singh water probably cleaner than other water. Some small factory just fill with the tap, no filter. Really, I see that before. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Most Thai women will tell you how much they can't stand Thai men.  I don't need to go through all the attributes attached to them, but they are mostly not good.

7 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Open your eyes OP

Hmmmm.

i not hate Thai men.

All my friend have thai boyfriend, husband. 

Does my mum hate my dad. 

Everywhere I see thai woman with Thai man. 

You think everyone hate each other?????

i think you imagine that one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Yes, there is a small percentage of angry/racist/ bigoted foreigners on ThaiVisa.

Hmmm. Maybe big percentage?

7 hours ago, Skallywag said:

My suggestion:  just stop reading their <deleted> or  "click on your name at the top right hand corner and select "ignored users". 

Thanks. But. No. I not bury the head in the floor. I not frail ego.

but some guys ignore button me. 5555555555

• Haha 1