BANGKOK
Happy Grumpy

Choosing a car cover.

Looking to buy a car cover for an average saloon sized car.

One that will last for years and not months.

Are there any recommended brands or types that are known for longevity and quality?

TIA. 

I have no idea about covers but it reminds me of that Thai guy who covered his pick up with such a cover to protect it.

And later, when he removed the cover, it wouldn't start anymore. Because the mice decided it's such a lovely dry place with lots of cables to chew. 😉

So before you do that better think twice.

• Like 1

They can also trap moisture in the wet season. Better to dust off the car daily or wash it. Local dogs also like to chew on them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Looking to buy a car cover for an average saloon sized car.

Buy a nice piece of heavy cotton material and get one made or use duvet covers we got joined together to make nice cover for the motor, my you ours is in a car port..

• Like 1

Whether it's for indoor or outdoor usage can be a major consideration. I use outdoor standard for indoor storage and buy from on-line sources.

Marque brands have always fallen short by my experience with significant additional costs.

• Like 1

I heard somewhere that long term use of a car cover can somehow damage the paintwork !! Don't ask me how, it's what I was told.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 8:47 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I heard somewhere that long term use of a car cover can somehow damage the paintwork !! Don't ask me how, it's what I was told.

For sure, they aren't the panacea of happiness for all situations. Mostly they're better than nothing and efficacy degrades with varying environments and periods of time. Repeated usage of the same cover could easily prove to be decremental.

For stuff stored in an internal environment the (very) lightweight (and inexpensive) covers are best. Then fit a new cover after you've been out for a drive.

If the cover fits correctly it will not damage the paint. If it’s too loose, wind buffeting the fabric will damage the paint.

I haven’t seen any good covers here, many are two or three sizes fit all which is worse than nothing.

If your vehicle is a model that is/was marketed in the US, Covercraft has a custom cover to fit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

Most makers will supply their own ones for your model. Toyota for example do very good ones. That fit perfectly. My last one for a Tuna (Like new one) had elasticated ends and tabs at the side that clipped under the car so it didn't move once on. Last one lasted from new to nearly 9 years when I sold it.

Sorry cant tell you the price as both were freebees.

Yep, put a cotton "sheet" over first, then the cover. Don't think any cover will last a long time here if left out in the sun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, transam said:

Yep, put a cotton "sheet" over first, then the cover. Don't think any cover will last a long time here if left out in the sun.

The ones I have had from Toyota have tough plastic outer cover, With a fluffy underside so no need to put anything on the car first. As I have said my last one lasted 9 years. Sometimes in the sun, sometimes half and half under carport. Gave that away when I sold it. So good ones will last. Suspect they are not cheap though.

• Like 1

It would be concern in other places, but in Thailand a bad cover still way better than exposed to environment

21 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The ones I have had from Toyota have tough plastic outer cover, With a fluffy underside so no need to put anything on the car first. As I have said my last one lasted 9 years. Sometimes in the sun, sometimes half and half under carport. Gave that away when I sold it. So good ones will last. Suspect they are not cheap though.

The fluffy stuff was cotton..?

Classic car guys put a cotton sheet on first...

It would be concern in other places, but in Thailand a bad cover still way better than exposed to environment

A cover that flaps in the wind is worse than nothing. It will beat the paint to death.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, transam said:

The fluffy stuff was cotton..?

Classic car guys put a cotton sheet on first...

A Tuna is not a classic car. All it needs is a good cover that doesn't flap about in the wind. As Toyo ones are elasticated at both ends it doesn't allow it to flap. The Op just said he wanted one that would last. In my case 8+ years.

Snap of new one bit creased up but that's because I put it away screwed up. As long as it's not wet when you store it it'll be fine. Snap shows the front elasticated end. N/B this one is 2.3/4 years old.

IMGP0016 (1).JPG

Edited by fredob43