Choosing a car cover.

Happy Grumpy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea about covers but it reminds me of that Thai guy who covered his pick up with such a cover to protect it.

And later, when he removed the cover, it wouldn't start anymore. Because the mice decided it's such a lovely dry place with lots of cables to chew. ????

So before you do that better think twice.

9 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Looking to buy a car cover for an average saloon sized car.

Buy a nice piece of heavy cotton material and get one made or use duvet covers we got joined together to make nice cover for the motor, my you ours is in a car port..

On 9/18/2019 at 8:47 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I heard somewhere that long term use of a car cover can somehow damage the paintwork !! Don't ask me how, it's what I was told.

For sure, they aren't the panacea of happiness for all situations. Mostly they're better than nothing and efficacy degrades with varying environments and periods of time. Repeated usage of the same cover could easily prove to be decremental.

For stuff stored in an internal environment the (very) lightweight (and inexpensive) covers are best. Then fit a new cover after you've been out for a drive.

If the cover fits correctly it will not damage the paint. If it’s too loose, wind buffeting the fabric will damage the paint.

I haven’t seen any good covers here, many are two or three sizes fit all which is worse than nothing.

If your vehicle is a model that is/was marketed in the US, Covercraft has a custom cover to fit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Most makers will supply their own ones for your model. Toyota for example do very good ones. That fit perfectly. My last one for a Tuna (Like new one) had elasticated ends and tabs at the side that clipped under the car so it didn't move once on. Last one lasted from new to nearly 9 years when I sold it.

Sorry cant tell you the price as both were freebees.

I heard somewhere that long term use of a car cover can somehow damage the paintwork !! Don't ask me how, it's what I was told.

Yep, put a cotton "sheet" over first, then the cover. Don't think any cover will last a long time here if left out in the sun.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Yep, put a cotton "sheet" over first, then the cover. Don't think any cover will last a long time here if left out in the sun.

The ones I have had from Toyota have tough plastic outer cover, With a fluffy underside so no need to put anything on the car first. As I have said my last one lasted 9 years. Sometimes in the sun, sometimes half and half under carport. Gave that away when I sold it. So good ones will last. Suspect they are not cheap though.

It would be concern in other places, but in Thailand a bad cover still way better than exposed to environment

21 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The ones I have had from Toyota have tough plastic outer cover, With a fluffy underside so no need to put anything on the car first. As I have said my last one lasted 9 years. Sometimes in the sun, sometimes half and half under carport. Gave that away when I sold it. So good ones will last. Suspect they are not cheap though.

The fluffy stuff was cotton..?

Classic car guys put a cotton sheet on first...

24 minutes ago, transam said:

The fluffy stuff was cotton..?

Classic car guys put a cotton sheet on first...

A Tuna is not a classic car. All it needs is a good cover that doesn't flap about in the wind. As Toyo ones are elasticated at both ends it doesn't allow it to flap. The Op just said he wanted one that would last. In my case 8+ years.

Snap of new one bit creased up but that's because I put it away screwed up. As long as it's not wet when you store it it'll be fine. Snap shows the front elasticated end. N/B this one is 2.3/4 years old.

IMGP0016 (1).JPG

i have bought a few as i dont use my car that often so i cover it up a lot. The 3000 bt ones last a few years and dont get blown off the 1000+ ones are too light (material wise) and get blown off when there is a bit of wind. 

Never had any damage from my cover it look great still as its not used that much. I know one thing I wont but the really cheap light covers anymore. Mainly because of how easy the wind blows them off.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

A Tuna is not a classic car. All it needs is a good cover that doesn't flap about in the wind. As Toyo ones are elasticated at both ends it doesn't allow it to flap. The Op just said he wanted one that would last. In my case 8+ years.

Snap of new one bit creased up but that's because I put it away screwed up. As long as it's not wet when you store it it'll be fine. Snap shows the front elasticated end. N/B this one is 2.3/4 years old.

IMGP0016 (1).JPG

My point is, valuable car folk use cotton to protect the paint. So, I am pointing it out, that car folk use cotton to protect the paint.

11 minutes ago, transam said:

My point is, valuable car folk use cotton to protect the paint. So, I am pointing it out, that car folk use cotton to protect the paint.

Yes I do see your point so you don't have to keep on repeating yourself.

It's a Tuna for buddha sake not a R/R or Aston Martin.

If you care to read my post. You will see you don't need any underlining to protect paint work. A good LINED fitted cover like Toyo supply does the job perfectly well.

To give you an idea. At one time I left the cover on old Tuna, Rain and shine for over 4 months. Whilst I was in the UK, on arriving back the car was in the same condition as I left it spotless. Well except for the bottom of the wheels as they were not covered, bit like the snap I put in.

Conclusion. Buy a good Lined fitted cover and you won't have a problem or have to faff about putting an extra cover on before hand. 

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Yes I do see your point so you don't have to keep on repeating yourself.

It's a Tuna for buddha sake not a R/R or Aston Martin.

If you care to read my post. You will see you don't need any underlining to protect paint work. A good LINED fitted cover like Toyo supply does the job perfectly well.

To give you an idea. At one time I left the cover on old Tuna, Rain and shine for over 4 months. Whilst I was in the UK, on arriving back the car was in the same condition as I left it spotless. Well except for the bottom of the wheels as they were not covered, bit like the snap I put in.

Conclusion. Buy a good Lined fitted cover and you won't have a problem or have to faff about putting an extra cover on before hand. 

If you think a blokes pride and joy ride to "him" is not as important as a RR or Aston owner I think you are wrong....

3 hours ago, transam said:

If you think a blokes pride and joy ride to "him" is not as important as a RR or Aston owner I think you are wrong....

The OP was about a good cover for a car. Yet again you change the subject to get yet another stupid off topic reply on. Might be time to get some sort of life. 

10 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The OP was about a good cover for a car. Yet again you change the subject to get yet another stupid off topic reply on. Might be time to get some sort of life. 

I worry about you, I gave first hand info on the use of a cotton sheet, now if you have a problem with that then I suggest you have a lay down...

The "get a life" thing was uncalled for, but expected...????

1 hour ago, transam said:

I worry about you, I gave first hand info on the use of a cotton sheet, now if you have a problem with that then I suggest you have a lay down...

The "get a life" thing was uncalled for, but expected...????

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OP ask about what type of cover and where to get one, for his mid size saloon car. 

Not one of your posts have answered his question. We have had several post from you about putting a cotton thing on first.

For you information not required now if you buy a lined good quality one. Something that you cant seem to grasp. Things have improved in the last 30 years you know.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, alacrity said:

For sure, they aren't the panacea of happiness for all situations. Mostly they're better than nothing and efficacy degrades with varying environments and periods of time. Repeated usage of the same cover could easily prove to be decremental.

...and even detrimental.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, fredob43 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OP ask about what type of cover and where to get one, for his mid size saloon car. 

Not one of your posts have answered his question. We have had several post from you about putting a cotton thing on first.

For you information not required now if you buy a lined good quality one. Something that you cant seem to grasp. Things have improved in the last 30 years you know.

The more ‘ soft’.  Thickness that you can put between the paint work and the cover the less you are like today to damage the clear coat. 

20 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The more ‘ soft’.  Thickness that you can put between the paint work and the cover the less you are like today to damage the clear coat. 

I do get the point of putting many covers on. But have you any idea of how much faffing about it takes to do same every day. If your car is   clean prior to putting said cover on it will never damage the clear coat.

On the last Tuna I had, it had the Toyo lined cover on over 20 times and for some matter of months at a time, and it Never caused a problem. Paint work still looked like new when I sold it at nearly 9 years old. But as said it did have a full valet prior to covering it.

I do get the point of putting many covers on. But have you any idea of how much faffing about it takes to do same every day. If your car is   clean prior to putting said cover on it will never damage the clear coat.

On the last Tuna I had, it had the Toyo lined cover on over 20 times and for some matter of months at a time, and it Never caused a problem. Paint work still looked like new when I sold it at nearly 9 years old. But as said it did have a full valet prior to covering it.

20 times in 9 years is the same as every day?

2 hours ago, RideJocky said:

20 times in 9 years is the same as every day?

I was trying to point out that for over 2 Doz times I had the cover on for very long periods, rain or shine, and the clear coating never got marked. Got it now??? 

By the way I did try and point out that I always only used it if the car was clean. Dirty and you will have trouble because it will mess up the lining.

Archived