Choosing a car cover.

Happy Grumpy

I was trying to point out that for over 2 Doz times I had the cover on for very long periods, rain or shine, and the clear coating never got marked. Got it now??? 
By the way I did try and point out that I always only used it if the car was clean. Dirty and you will have trouble because it will mess up the lining.

I think I have it. So when you were talking about how difficult it would be to put on multiple covers every day, you meant got people other than you, yes?

Covering it only a few times a year it wouldn’t make much difference whether it took five minutes or ten don’t you think?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RideJocky said:

I think I have it. So when you were talking about how difficult it would be to put on multiple covers every day, you meant got people other than you, yes?

Covering it only a few times a year it wouldn’t make much difference whether it took five minutes or ten don’t you think?

Sorry for late reply have been watching UK V USA Rugby live on my TV it's on ITV1 if anyone wants to know.

It takes two of us around 2/3 minutes to put on my Tuna cover due to it's size. If I had to put extra covers on it would be a nightmare. That's why I am happy with the Toyo lined cover as you only need to have just that on. Kills two stones with one bird???

Sorry for late reply have been watching UK V USA Rugby live on my TV it's on ITV1 if anyone wants to know.

It takes two of us around 2/3 minutes to put on my Tuna cover due to it's size. If I had to put extra covers on it would be a nightmare. That's why I am happy with the Toyo lined cover as you only need to have just that on. Kills two stones with one bird???

Why would it be a nightmare?

12 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Why would it be a nightmare?

Have you ever tried to fit a cover by yourself on a big lump of a car I think No.

First off you cant buy a cotton type one here so you would have to have it either made or in my case the wife would do it.

Once you have put that on you then have to put the waterproof one on over it. 

If you have ever tried to do that you would know that as you put that one on the cotton one would try and make it's way off at the same time hence Nightmare.

N/B you might be able to do it on say a Mini. But anything sizeable you'll be buggered.

Saying that it's fine if you have a Vintage car that only see the light of day a few times a year. But having to do it every day would be a real pain in the Butt. Hence the reason I have poo pooed some people suggestion of putting several covers on. Get the correct lined one in the first place and you'll be fine. 

24 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Have you ever tried to fit a cover by yourself on a big lump of a car I think No.

First off you cant buy a cotton type one here so you would have to have it either made or in my case the wife would do it.

If you have ever tried to do that you would know that as you put that one on the cotton one would try and make it's way off at the same time hence Nightmare.

N/B you might be able to do it on say a Mini. But anything sizeable you'll be buggered.

Saying that it's fine if you have a Vintage car that only see the light of day a few times a year. But having to do it every day would be a real pain in the Butt. Hence the reason I have poo pooed some people suggestion of putting several covers on. Get the correct lined one in the first place and you'll be fine. 

Is it cotton though....Bit like underpants, cotton is the way to go, everything breaths, but the man made fibres may not do that, that's why folk get fungal infections in their nether region areas...????

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Is it cotton though....Bit like underpants, cotton is the way to go, everything breaths, but the man made fibres may not do that, that's why folk get fungal infections in their nether region areas...????

As usual I haven't got a clue what your on about. Not on the booze???

I but if your referring to putting a cotton cover on first then putting a plastic waterproof cover over the top of that then it wouldn't breath. Suggest a little bit of thought before posting yet more drivel next time.  

9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

As usual I haven't got a clue what your on about. Not on the booze???

I but if your referring to putting a cotton cover on first then putting a plastic waterproof cover over the top of that then it wouldn't breath. Suggest a little bit of thought before posting yet more drivel next time.  

Who mentioned "plastic" cover......Oh never mind.....????

PS...Your first sentence was not needed but expected....:coffee1:

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Who mentioned "plastic" cover......Oh never mind.....????

PS...Your first sentence was not needed but expected....:coffee1:

Question. What its the use of putting a cotton cover on and then leaving it out in the rain we get here??? Like a broken pencil pointless.

11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Question. What its the use of putting a cotton cover on and then leaving it out in the rain we get here??? Like a broken pencil pointless.

The cotton is a barrier, it helps stop those darker patches appearing on paintwork through lack of air that you have to work on. It stops plastic chaffing....

Now why am I answering your question, Toyota does all your stuff anyway..:coffee1:

Well your thinking would be incorrect. I had a ‘99 GMC Sierra I used to cover by myself and did not find particularly difficult, and I think it fair to say it was significantly bigger than your “lump”, which is actually what I would call an under-powered midsized SUV.

There you go with the everyday thing again. I thought you only covered your “lump” a few times a year, no?

17 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

Well your thinking would be incorrect. I had a ‘99 GMC Sierra I used to cover by myself and did not find particularly difficult, and I think it fair to say it was significantly bigger than your “lump”, which is actually what I would call an under-powered midsized SUV.

There you go with the everyday thing again. I thought you only covered your “lump” a few times a year, no?

No.

39 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

13 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

I’m sorry, when you said twenty times in 9 years, I thought you meant a few times a year. I didn’t realize it was everyday for a few weeks and then never for the other 8.9 years, sorry.

For more clarity I used to use it regularly. But only when the paint was clean. Quite often when I had to go to the UK due to illness in family, I put it on for months at a time.

Never had a problem with marks or any chaffing on the paintwork, as I said in nearly 9 years. The Toyo one I used worked for me.

hile

8 hours ago, transam said:

Cotton's hygroscopic, meaning it attracts  and holds water. Not good for storage of a vehicle for long periods. Especially outdoors or even indoors within a high dewpoint environment.

Good quality covers are breathable using fleece materials and Gortex. They're not perfect either for long term storage.

Lack of ventilation and direct sunshine are the killers. If stored indoors it's probably best to let the dust accumulate. 

No single choice is good for all situations. I remove the cheap covers if we're going to be away for awhile.

5 hours ago, fredob43 said:

For more clarity I used to use it regularly. But only when the paint was clean. Quite often when I had to go to the UK due to illness in family, I put it on for months at a time.

Never had a problem with marks or any chaffing on the paintwork, as I said in nearly 9 years. The Toyo one I used worked for me.

Under cover or out in the soi?

11 hours ago, alacrity said:

hile

Cotton's hygroscopic, meaning it attracts  and holds water. Not good for storage of a vehicle for long periods. Especially outdoors or even indoors within a high dewpoint environment.

Good quality covers are breathable using fleece materials and Gortex. They're not perfect either for long term storage.

Lack of ventilation and direct sunshine are the killers. If stored indoors it's probably best to let the dust accumulate. 

No single choice is good for all situations. I remove the cheap covers if we're going to be away for awhile.

OK, I will just ignore what classic car owners do then...????

59 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I don't have to park in the Soi. I have a car port and a driveway. Depending on conditions sometimes in driveway some times under car port, or even at times half and half.iven

I've never bothered with a cover. Just dust it off daily in the dry season. The wet season I just wash it as necessary. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I've never bothered with a cover. Just dust it off daily in the dry season. The wet season I just wash it as necessary. 

I do like you dust it off daily with a feather thing.

Our car port has an auto light and the Gin jock like to gather around it at night Shi//ing all over the bonnet /Hood. Ok if I'm there to sort it, but over a long period it would damage the paint. That's when the cover goes on full time.

Cleaning I have never in 15+ years done myself. I always take it into local Valet place and have a full Valet. Takes 5 peeps 1 hour to do my lump. If anyone think's I'm going to spend 5 hours doing the same job single handed in this heat, their dreaming.

I do like you dust it off daily with a feather thing.
Our car port has an auto light and the Gin jock like to gather around it at night Shi//ing all over the bonnet /Hood. Ok if I'm there to sort it, but over a long period it would damage the paint. That's when the cover goes on full time.

Cleaning I have never in 15+ years done myself. I always take it into local Valet place and have a full Valet. Takes 5 peeps 1 hour to do my lump. If anyone think's I'm going to spend 5 hours doing the same job single handed in this heat, their dreaming.

Some people enjoy working on their car, some don’t.

Some people enjoy working on their car, some don’t.

Good for them. But to save 200bht and then spend 5 hours cleaning a car in the heat we have here, is not my idea of fun. It's bad enough having to top up the tyres and check the oil.

One of the reasons I brought another Toyo is you don't have to work on them, as they Never go wrong. In the almost 9 years I had my previous one I never even had to change a light bulb.

Don't rush and get the first one available on Lazada or Amazon....Whatever make or type of cover chosen, make sure it is not an air tight pack and can breath....best to have a covered and shaded open area and cover only with breathable thin cloth sheets that would seem better then plastic that will prevent ending up with rust and mildew if you use very strong waterproof PVC cover for long unused period in a tropical climate....

Good for them. But to save 200bht and then spend 5 hours cleaning a car in the heat we have here, is not my idea of fun. It's bad enough having to top up the tyres and check the oil.

One of the reasons I brought another Toyo is you don't have to work on them, as they Never go wrong. In the almost 9 years I had my previous one I never even had to change a light bulb.

Yeah, I just replaced the battery in mine and it wasn’t two years old...

Wiper blades are warn out now as well, and the weather stripping around the diver-side door comes loose ever now and then.

That engine-stop <deleted> really bugs, as does the POC Nav system.

The electric rear door seems to have a mind of it’s own.

I do like the seats, but the leg-room is not very good and it is underpowered.

Yeah, I just replaced the battery in mine and it wasn’t two years old...

Wiper blades are warn out now as well, and the weather stripping around the diver-side door comes loose ever now and then.

That engine-stop <deleted> really bugs, as does the POC Nav system.

The electric rear door seems to have a mind of it’s own.

I do like the seats, but the leg-room is not very good and it is underpowered.

What car and model do you have???

What car and model do you have???

A two year old Toyota Fortuner, you?

The transmission is a little flaky as well. Nothing “wrong” with it as far as I can tell but I don’t really like the way it occasionally shifts.

The thing that bugs the most though is the POC start-stop, I’m guessing that’s what killed the battery so fast. On cars I’ve rented in the US, the start-stop seems to work okay, but none of them were diesel, I think that’s the problem.

21 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

The transmission is a little flaky as well. Nothing “wrong” with it as far as I can tell but I don’t really like the way it occasionally shifts.

The thing that bugs the most though is the POC start-stop, I’m guessing that’s what killed the battery so fast. On cars I’ve rented in the US, the start-stop seems to work okay, but none of them were diesel, I think that’s the problem.

I have a diesel CRV with idlestop. Turn it off every time I start the engine. There are also complaints about this battery not pastime long as well, but I don't know if the owners are using the idlestop or not. It's silly technology for a hot tropical climate.

1 hour ago, RideJocky said:

Stock battery on your ride, even without stop/start, last around 2 years..

I have a diesel CRV with idlestop. Turn it off every time I start the engine. There are also complaints about this battery not pastime long as well, but I don't know if the owners are using the idlestop or not. It's silly technology for a hot tropical climate.

My Wifes made hers not stop start , but how I don’t know. Been on Holiday so ill find out what She has done to it.She has also obtained a Cover for it Perhaps to sit with the other ones still in the Packet and never used.!.[emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

First off suggest you start a new topic. Something like How to fix problems with my Tuna. Listing CC 2.4. 2.8 then list the model as they are all different. Then list your problems.

You will then get the correct answers from people that have the same thing.

To turn the stop start off you need to just press the correct button. That's in a different place on all the models, hence I asked what model.

But what you are looking for is a button that has a circle with an A in the middle. Press that and a light will come up on the dash to show it's off. N/B has to be activated every time you restart. Not the end of the world takes seconds.

Snap of dash.

The button your looking for and the light on the dash shows just above the ECO mode sign.

Sounds to me like you don't have the manual in English if I'm correct get one asap.

IMGP0001 (3).JPG

Archived