Lack of European visitors the cause of Thailand's tourism woes, says hotelier

webfact

Lack of European visitors the cause of Thailand's tourism woes, says hotelier

9pm.jpg
File photo

A leading hotelier has said that Thai tourism is suffering and the lack of European visitors is as plain as day. 

The comments come in a Voice TV report that paints a grim picture of the Thai tourism outlook in 2019. 

This channel has often irked the Thai authorities with its forthright assessments. 

Natthapong La-orwong of the Sofitel group said that the lack of expected numbers from China and Korea was one thing but the disappearance of Europeans from the Thai tourism sector was obvious. 

He cited Brexit and the strong value of the Thai baht as major contributing factors.

He also said that less people from Hong Kong were coming due to the protests there and the lack of business people coming to Thailand was hitting trade. 

Competition was great with hotels engaged in price wars and marketing strategies promoting food deals and good service above all else. 

An unnamed hotelier in Phuket painted a picture of even greater doom and gloom. The hotelier said that following the Phoenix boat disaster tourism on the island was down 25-30% but even compared to 2017 levels it was down 20%.

However, they said that if you ask some hoteliers in Phuket they will say that in reality tourism is down 50%.

In general Voice TV pointed to the poor world economy and the strength of the baht that have hit the tourism industry. 

They said that the industry had "lost momentum" after posting rises in numbers from 35.6 million visitors in 2017, 38.3 last year and only 19.8 in the first half of this year. 

They said that the Bank of Thailand had downgraded its assessment of tourist arrivals for 2019 from 40.4 million to just 39 million. 

With the high season for tourism just around the corner the credit rating agency TRIS had deemed that the tourism sector was in trouble, they said. 

Chinese tourist arrivals were down to 5.6 million in the first half of 2019 said Voice that represented a 4.7% decline. 

Thaivisa notes that Voice TV is noted for its liberal stance and politcal-centric analysis that has often caused it to run foul of the Thai authorities.

It is owned by Pathongthae Shinawatra the son of fugitive ex prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. 

Source: Voice TV

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-18

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, webfact said:

They said that the industry had "lost momentum" after posting rises in numbers from 35.6 million visitors in 2017, 38.3 last year and only 19.8 in the first half of this year. 

How's that losing momentum?

Hoteliers realise that arrival numbers mean less in real terms than numbers of nights spent in the Kingdom. They've replaced Europeans spending their two week holiday in Thailand with Chinese on 4-5 day breaks. That means, effectively, you need three Chinese visitors to replace one Swede, German or Brit. So although numbers of arrivals are up, the hotel industry could well be struggling.

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

How's that losing momentum?

Hoteliers realise that arrival numbers mean less in real terms than numbers of nights spent in the Kingdom. They've replaced Europeans spending their two week holiday in Thailand with Chinese on 4-5 day breaks. That means, effectively, you need three Chinese visitors to replace one Swede, German or Brit. So although numbers of arrivals are up, the hotel industry could well be struggling.

Speaking to an employee of a respected high class hotel chain a couple of days ago and she said "guest numbers are low" but would say no more than that.

However it echoes the comments from a friend at another top class establishment, and not only are numbers down, spend is a key missing factor which trickles down through the local businesses, so many are affected.

also, lets not forget the expat/retired population who generally provide a steady 12 month spend that is often overlooked, I am hearing more and more exit stories as people are fed up being targeted by nonsense new cumbersome immigration rules that seem to have no other purpose than to force some people down a route of paying hefty bribes for application approvals because of some very simple marginal technicality

1 minute ago, smedly said:

also, lets not forget the expat/retired population who generally provide a steady 12 month spend that is often overlooked, I am hearing more and more exit stories as people are fed up being targeted by nonsense new cumbersome immigration rules that seem to have no other purpose than to force some people down a route of paying hefty bribes for application approvals because of some very simple marginal technicality

And not forgetting the TM30 hassles which could be stopping Expats from travelling in-country and staying in hotels, using local businesses etc... 

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

And not forgetting the TM30 hassles which could be stopping Expats from travelling in-country and staying in hotels, using local businesses etc... 

Beat me to it. I used to go away twice a month to Rayong, Hua Hin etc. 

1 or 2 nights in a decent hotel, spending money in restaurants, local markets, beach bars etc.

Haven't been since this TM30 nonsense came up.

i was planning a two week vacation all around Thailand at nice hotels, then i realized i would have to do TM30 so i cancelled my trip and instead... ill stay home and watch netflix and spend my hard earned money buying <deleted> from china. mai pen rai - up to you Thailand

11 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

Competition from other destinations that seem new, interesting, and affordable, like Vietnam?

Having moved 1 month ago from Thailand to Luang Prabang (Laos), Hanoi is just a 90 minute direct flight away, ideal for weekend trips, and no need to do a TM30 on my return ????

I couldn't agree more about the TM30 idiocy. I've stopped traveling due to uncertainties about what's expected of me. Wait. Let me rephrase: I won't travel until the TM30 is officially dead and buried. I know they don't give a rat's patoot what I do, but I just can't abide such an oppressive regulation. Cut off my nose to spite my face? Maybe. But screw 'em anyway. 

They've milked it for years, but now their time has passed. Over the last decade the TAT et al have done nothing to improve the tourism industry here. 

Thailand has had the halcyon days of the 80s, 90s and even early 00s when every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to come here. 

It isn't an attractive destination like it used to be, and one thing Thailand will always now struggle with is returning tourists. Once you've been here once it doesn't offer anything different. 

59 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Beat me to it. I used to go away twice a month to Rayong, Hua Hin etc. 

1 or 2 nights in a decent hotel, spending money in restaurants, local markets, beach bars etc.

Haven't been since this TM30 nonsense came up.

I was going to Pattaya every 3 to 4 months for a couple of days do some shopping buy food that we can't get where we live won't be doing that anymore

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Not only are ex pat residents leaving permanently, they become very negative ambassadors for Thailand.

Thailand needs all the help it can get. This starts with making its small but influential and largely supportive foreign resident population feel welcome.

FEEL WELCOME

IF YOU WANT POSITIVE REVIEWS, EXTEND A WELCOME TO THE REVIEWERS.

I am very very surprised at the treatment reserved for ex pats in Thailand. Very surprised indeed.

If you are looking for an explanation for the drop-off in the number of visitors from Europe, an explanation largely overlooked is very simply that the unusually hot summer kept Europeans at home for holidays on their own coastlines or mountain or city breaks.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Spot on. I have met many while out at supermarkets are trying to sell and get out. Lots of Dutch and Australians heading to Vietnam and Indonesia who are open now to expats.

Archived